Home

The Game's Community Ratings Calculator

This is a discussion on The Game's Community Ratings Calculator within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #65
Pro

thefakeJTS's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Game's Community Ratings Calculator

Question:

Ozzie Albies has a contact split of 75/65 weighted. Is that his numbers at a minor league level or at a major league level? I am not sure if I should scale it back from 75/65
Atlanta Hawks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2016, 02:41 PM   #66
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
If he's hit .360 vs LHP in 200 AB and players relatively similar to him have hit .280 vs LHP then you'd add 1800 AB of .280 avg to his .360 in 200 AB

You could also just do the average platoon difference relative to wRC+ or whatever

Sorry if that makes no sense I just hopped out of bed lol
If you can describe a way to make excel find similar players, I'd happily attempt to find a way. It's not a bad idea, but I don't know how feasible. What could be done is just individually search for players that are similar to our minor league player and rate them based on that player's ratings in the calc. Something like that could work.

I'll say it again. The Ratings Calculator is a guide. It's not a set in stone method. Statistics don't tell ALL of the story. They give us a place to start, and we can extrapolate from there. All I've attempted to do is give myself and others a start. If you know something different about a minor league player than what the calc is showing, change it.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #67
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefakeJTS
Question:

Ozzie Albies has a contact split of 75/65 weighted. Is that his numbers at a minor league level or at a major league level? I am not sure if I should scale it back from 75/65
Yep, that's already scaled back. Albies has hit over .300 at every single stop he's been at. That being said, I might need to drop my scale slightly one more time. A 75/65 rating for a minor league guy would project he's going to hit .270 VS R and .260 VS L immediately upon entering the big leagues.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #68
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

So based on my post immediately above, here is where this becomes a community effort.

My method for rating minor league players in not ideal, but it's the best I can get excel to quickly do. Because players change their levels frequently within the year, it's incredibly difficult to keep their stats broken down by level, so instead I've opted for total stats per year per player.

So here's where the question comes in. Right now, I'm taking the same calculation I use for major league players and simply multiplying is by a percentage based on their CURRENT level. So if a guy is in AAA, I'm multiplying by .7 and if a guy is in AA, I multiply by .6, and .55 for A. If they're currently in the majors, I'm multiplying by .8 for their minor league stats. This is for new guys like Trevor Story. Since there aren't enough at bats yet for him to be rated on his major league production, I'm rating him based on minor league production multiplied by .8.

So are there any of these multipliers you think need to be scaled back (I definitely don't think they should be any higher).
Old 05-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #69
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

If the previous post is coming across incorrectly, I'd like to clarify. I like how the minor league ratings are turning out, and definitely the major leagues, but think it's possible they could be tweaked slightly and made even better. So here's a way of asking the question.

What's the maximum contact rating you think a minor league player should have?
Old 05-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #70
Pro

thefakeJTS's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame8544
If the previous post is coming across incorrectly, I'd like to clarify. I like how the minor league ratings are turning out, and definitely the major leagues, but think it's possible they could be tweaked slightly and made even better. So here's a way of asking the question.

I think the highest should be 80 for AAA and maybe like 75 or 70 for below

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Atlanta Hawks
Old 05-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #71
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

There shouldn't be one. If a guy has 85 contact but no discipline, minimal power, and hasn't developed decent fielding (i.e. all he has are singles and that's it), he's a minor leaguer, imo. Same if he has 80 power and 20 contact. That's a slugger in the making...if he can put the bat on the ball...which he probably wouldn't in the majors.

Whether or not a player is a minor leaguer should be a sum of the parts and organizational considerations.

To me, a calculator/estimator shouldn't care about that. It should take what he's done in the minors, apply a factor to emulate the chances of it lowering when he takes the leap, and go from there. If it gives a guy a 90 contact and 5 power and 10 vision and 20 discipline - so be it. He is what he is.

If he's high rated and in AAA - that's when the person (or CPU) running that team in franchise makes that call. The calculator/estimator shouldn't give that a thought, imo.

To me, those factors should apply to the production, not the ratings. If he batted .330/.400/.500 in AAA, apply a, say, .8 factor (so effectively it would be .264/.320/.400) and put that in the calculator and whatever he gets, he gets. That way, if a guy just blows out AAA, he might still get a high rating and look very much ready for the majors.

When I used to try to make a baseball game, I found MLE's, which are basically the factors you're using here (same concept). I can't for the life of me remember where I found them back then or what they are now (google has failed me!). If you want to see the factors I found (with the cavaet they are probably way out of date), I'll be willing to share them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2016, 08:56 AM   #72
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by statistical ceiling breaks.

Sadly, the game engine really doesn't stretch the ratings out enough on contact. So for example, if a guy like Cabrera hits on average anywhere between .315-.335, he'll need to be a 99 on contact vs right to ever get anywhere close to that. There are limitations, and I've based my calculations on how the game engine seems to respond to ratings.
In terms of a scaling and calculation that would allow for this. I once said the same as you, but JTTommy is adamant that it is possible with the right ratings for pitchers and other hitters

Can you chime in here JT?
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »