Home

MBMavs Pitch Edits 2017

This is a discussion on MBMavs Pitch Edits 2017 within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2017, 01:14 AM   #1
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6
MBMavs Pitch Edits 2017

Hey guys, after taking a couple of years off I really got the itch to do some pitch edits this year. I started last month and finally finished this week. Every pitcher who threw a pitch in 2016 is included. I also added Non-Roster pitchers as well.

I got all my info from Brooksbaseball.net and included what year as well. Some pitchers didn't pitch in 2016 so I used their most recent data, whether it was 2015 or 2014, or I used Spring Training of this year. WF is data taken from Winter or Fall leagues.

If a 4 Seam Fastball had a lot of horizontal break (over 4 inches) I used a Running Fastball. I also used a Forkball instead of a Splitter for the pitchers that had a lot of horizontal break as well.

If a pitcher only had 2 pitches listed, (ex: Craig Kimbrel, Dellan Betances) I only listed 2 pitches. I would recommend filling the 3rd pitch with a Fastball or Change Up with low control and break.

After playing a couple of exhibiton games, I was very pleased with the results.

Note: If a pitcher threw a pitch less than 1% of the time, I left it out. If that particular pitch was their 3rd pitch, I left it in.

Enjoy. The season is almost upon us.

Last edited by MBMavs20; 02-09-2020 at 11:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2017, 04:52 AM   #2
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: MBMavs Pitch Edits 2017

Depending on how these look, this could solve the problem of pitch edits for a roster some of us are working on. I may incorporate it into my calculator, if that is ok.

Any idea on how they compare to the pitch edits WTNY does?
Old 03-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #3
Chaos Theory

19's Arena

OVR: 29

Welcome back, good sir.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

Thanks 19.

Being a stat junkie it felt good to be back. Almost Therapeutic...

Last edited by MBMavs20; 03-25-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame8544
Depending on how these look, this could solve the problem of pitch edits for a roster some of us are working on. I may incorporate it into my calculator, if that is ok.

Any idea on how they compare to the pitch edits WTNY does?
From a quick glance, I would say that I use Running Fastballs more than he does. And my controls ratings might be a little higher.

Feel free to use them for your calculator.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #6
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

First of all, it's really great to see someone even take this on. Seanjeezy did these for a while then I did them for a couple of years. Since Brooks Baseball doesn't let us do any better than crawl along one player card at a time, it's a tremendous amount of clicking busy work to compile the data (unless you are some kind of data-mining guru with mad coding skills). If Brooks allowed us to simply check a few boxes and download all the data we wanted...ahem...then pitch edits would be pretty easy to do.

After briefly glancing at the spreadsheet here, I thought up a few points of constructive criticism. This is mainly just to educate those comparing these edits to mine from last year and I hope that will be conveyed in a constructive manner.

1) I agree with MBMavs20 that he has way more RFBs than I did. The 4-inch threshold means that almost every pitcher that throws a fastball will have a RFB rather than a 4SM. By comparison my threshold was 8 inches of Hmov.

2) I don't know how control or movement ratings were calculated here, but I noticed that at least some superior pitches (Zach Britton's sinker, Chris Sale's slider, Corey Kluber's slurve, Jon Lester's cutter, etc...) don't really have outstanding movement or control ratings. One of the things I did on top of the raw data compiling/processing was to do a "sanity check" on the calculations by ensuring that the truly out-of-this-world pitches were being represented by out-of-this-world ratings. If I found results that I deemed unsatisfactory in representing these "killer pitches," I would tweak/reiterate the formula and re-run the calculations to [hopefully] produce a more accurate representation.

3) These following comments/observations deal with what is mostly a gray area. There are some curveballs that could be thought of as 12-6 (Arrieta, Fiers, Snell etc..)--I used >8 inches of Vmov with <4 inches of Hmov to define a 12-6 vs regular curveball. The distinction between a 2SM and a SNK is never easy to figure out. Most 2SM can probably be classified as a SNK or vice versa, whether you want to do it by grip or preference. Another piece of gray area is what to classify as pitch #1 when a guy throws his slider or changeup a bit more often than his fastball (i.e. Felix Hernandez in this data set). I would tend to keep the fastball as pitch #1 unless there was a huge difference with the pitcher throwing offspeed a lot more often. But, again, this is very open to interpretation.

4) We both agree on how to handle 2-pitch pitchers and excluding seldomly used (< 1% of the time) pitches.

Overall, even if people just want to take the pitch types and/or velocities from this data set, which I encourage for those who don't want to mess with the SCEA values for control and movement, it's an important piece of work. Thanks to MBMavs20 for biting the bullet this year and putting this together.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 03-25-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
First of all, it's really great to see someone even take this on. Seanjeezy did these for a while then I did them for a couple of years. Since Brooks Baseball doesn't let us do any better than crawl along one player card at a time, it's a tremendous amount of clicking busy work to compile the data (unless you are some kind of data-mining guru with mad coding skills). If Brooks allowed us to simply check a few boxes and download all the data we wanted...ahem...then pitch edits would be pretty easy to do.

After briefly glancing at the spreadsheet here, I thought up a few points of constructive criticism. This is mainly just to educate those comparing these edits to mine from last year and I hope that will be conveyed in a constructive manner.

1) I agree with MBMavs20 that he has way more RFBs than I did. The 4-inch threshold means that almost every pitcher that throws a fastball will have a RFB rather than a 4SM. By comparison my threshold was 8 inches of Hmov.

2) I don't know how control or movement ratings were calculated here, but I noticed that at least some superior pitches (Zach Britton's sinker, Chris Sale's slider, Corey Kluber's slurve, Jon Lester's cutter, etc...) don't really have outstanding movement or control ratings. One of the things I did on top of the raw data compiling/processing was to do a "sanity check" on the calculations by ensuring that the truly out-of-this-world pitches were being represented by out-of-this-world ratings. If I found results that I deemed unsatisfactory in representing these "killer pitches," I would tweak/reiterate the formula and re-run the calculations to [hopefully] produce a more accurate representation.

3) These following comments/observations deal with what is mostly a gray area. There are some curveballs that could be thought of as 12-6 (Arrieta, Fiers, Snell etc..)--I used > 8 inches of Hmov with < 4 inches of Vmov to define a 12-6 vs regular curveball. The distinction between a 2SM and a SNK is never easy to figure out. Most 2SM can probably be classified as a SNK or vice versa, whether you want to do it by grip or preference. Another piece of gray area is what to classify as pitch #1 when a guy throws his slider or changeup a bit more often than his fastball (i.e. Felix Hernandez in this data set). I would tend to keep the fastball as pitch #1 unless there was a huge difference with the pitcher throwing offspeed a lot more often. But, again, this is very open to interpretation.

4) We both agree on how to handle 2-pitch pitchers and excluding seldomly used (< 1% of the time) pitches.

Overall, even if people just want to take the pitch types and/or velocities from this data set, which I encourage for those who don't want to mess with the SCEA values for control and movement, it's an important piece of work. Thanks to MBMavs20 for biting the bullet this year and putting this together.
thank you. for those of use planning to carryover from 16 to 17, do you suggest we could just use Mavs great info for the guys that were rookies in 16. I am using the OSFM as the base roster, and I do not know what pitch edits they used. as well, I do not know MLB that much, as I have not watched a full game for years.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashbuggie
thank you. for those of use planning to carryover from 16 to 17, do you suggest we could just use Mavs great info for the guys that were rookies in 16. I am using the OSFM as the base roster, and I do not know what pitch edits they used. as well, I do not know MLB that much, as I have not watched a full game for years.
OSFM doesn't use any pitch edits. Not in the first release anyway. The roster you are using might not have any pitch edits in it. So you could add MBMavs' pitch edits for any players that you feel like.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »