Home

Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion Thread 2015

This is a discussion on Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion Thread 2015 within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2015, 05:53 PM   #33
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion Thread 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
AWESOME POST!

Right or wrong, I'm def going to incorporate the "4 fingers shaken" pitch selection and "thigh tap / knee tap" location suggestions into my play style...

Also:

I used to think that the clenched fist was for Pitch #5 OR possibly just a fastball thrown HARD...

Any thoughts on the clenched fist?

Thanks!!!
Welcome and let me know your results!

Clenched would seem like fifth pitch. But it seems more used when in fastball counts. It also is not called a lot but you may be onto something! Fifth pitch should be least called for pitch in theory. Also, sometimes they kinda shake the 3 which sort of confuses me. Many of them they point down with which could suggest location. Like a 1 then he motions down but keeps one held. I see it mostly when X is the sinker which kinda makes sense.

Again, I maybe am hoping they programed something into the game that might be way too advanced. Also, I did ask my catching coach on this and he told me pitch calling is not always universal and especially in the MLB. That said the programers could have gone with the most basic general used style.

I am pretty sure the thigh tap means keep it in the zone in game anyhow. Cause they only tap the knee asking for outside the zone when you are well ahead in the count, a chase situation.

I will test throwing hard fastballs when a fist. Also if we ever get the fist when a pitcher with no fifth pitch is on the mound we will know for sure. Because I have never had a four asked for when a pitcher with three pitcches was on the mound. I specifically watched for it because if it happened, well then the hand signs are just random animations... But so far nothing impossible like a four from someone who does not have it has occurd.

Like you, I go with pitch calling even if I am wrong about it. It makes the game fun and feel real. Never been shelled from it so far. Of course I sometimes shake them off. As real pitchers do, to the sorrow of us backstops.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:15 PM   #34
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpritePuck
If you have a fifth pitch shaking 4 fingers or 4 fingers then hand closed 4 again is asking for that pitch (pitch five R1). I could be wrong about the game but in softball if a girl I am catching has five pitches (*note) , I was taught the following.
Are you female? I know you mentioned kids and things so perhaps you're a coach or a parent? Not that it matters in the slightest, I was just wondering because if OS (the best site ever) is lacking ONE thing, it's the female perspective on video games.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:00 PM   #35
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Are you female? I know you mentioned kids and things so perhaps you're a coach or a parent? Not that it matters in the slightest, I was just wondering because if OS (the best site ever) is lacking ONE thing, it's the female perspective on video games.

No worries at all. I am a girl and play travelling, club and High School softball as a catcher and on occassion middleinfielder. But the older I get pretty much only catcher which is okay, though I sometimes miss practicing double plays and stuff.

I was just mentioning kids, as the University of Arizona Softball Camp is awesome for kids. As are any of the USA sponsored ones. I went every year until last. I was playing club travelling tournaments or would have went again. I think I can go this summer but I am 17 now and maybe am aged out. Plus will hoepfully play travelling ball again.

I kinda never tell people I am a girl because sometimes they think I do not really know baseball then. (0f course I have a ton to still learn regardless of gender, it is a game that takes a lifetime to understand in my opinion) But I really am a fanatic fan and go to lots of DBacks games since we moved to AZ. I stood Scouting guides and minor league and major league stats, it is a blast to be like yeah I recall Tulow when he was in AAA playing fall ball. My Dad has been taking me to spring training since I was too little to recall. Now we live here and go to as many games as possible. Also fall ball. Baseball/softball is kinda the only thing in life that makes sense to me.

I like other sports and video game wise play FIFA and some NBA 2k but stink it up at the basketball. The Show is by far my favorite and the only game I own on PS4. I used to play NCAA football dynasties with my pops but of course the game is no more.

Hopefully someday I can be a softball scout or coach (would prefer scouting). Obviously I would prefer baseball but not sure anyone would give a girl scout a shot. So, The Show is probably as close to the game as I will ever get besides spectating of course.

Thank you for being kind and also all others who at least give my thoughts the time to read them. I know when talking pitching in The Show, I am possibly hoping for advanced stuff that is simply not there. But it at least seems to be.

"You always get a special kick on opening day, no matter how many you go through. You look forward to it like a birthday party when you're a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen."
Joe Dimaggio

Just like Joltin' Joe but only for me absolutely every game is like that....

p.s. maybe my posts are so long because I am a girl and talk a lot lol haha sorry if anyone is annoyed, I will try to keep them shorter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2015, 07:21 PM   #36
MVP

Quote:
No worries at all. I am a girl and play travelling, club and High School softball as a catcher and on occassion middleinfielder. But the older I get pretty much only catcher which is okay, though I sometimes miss practicing double plays and stuff.

I was just mentioning kids, as the University of Arizona Softball Camp is awesome for kids. As are any of the USA sponsored ones. I went every year until last. I was playing club travelling tournaments or would have went again. I think I can go this summer but I am 17 now and maybe am aged out. Plus will hoepfully play travelling ball again.

I kinda never tell people I am a girl because sometimes they think I do not really know baseball then. (0f course I have a ton to still learn regardless of gender, it is a game that takes a lifetime to understand in my opinion) But I really am a fanatic fan and go to lots of DBacks games since we moved to AZ. I stood Scouting guides and minor league and major league stats, it is a blast to be like yeah I recall Tulow when he was in AAA playing fall ball. My Dad has been taking me to spring training since I was too little to recall. Now we live here and go to as many games as possible. Also fall ball. Baseball/softball is kinda the only thing in life that makes sense to me.

I like other sports and video game wise play FIFA and some NBA 2k but stink it up at the basketball. The Show is by far my favorite and the only game I own on PS4. I used to play NCAA football dynasties with my pops but of course the game is no more.

Hopefully someday I can be a softball scout or coach (would prefer scouting). Obviously I would prefer baseball but not sure anyone would give a girl scout a shot. So, The Show is probably as close to the game as I will ever get besides spectating of course.

Thank you for being kind and also all others who at least give my thoughts the time to read them. I know when talking pitching in The Show, I am possibly hoping for advanced stuff that is simply not there. But it at least seems to be.

"You always get a special kick on opening day, no matter how many you go through. You look forward to it like a birthday party when you're a kid. You think something wonderful is going to happen."
Joe Dimaggio

Just like Joltin' Joe but only for me absolutely every game is like that....

p.s. maybe my posts are so long because I am a girl and talk a lot lol haha sorry if anyone is annoyed, I will try to keep them shorter.
Thanks for the bio!

And please don't shorten your posts! As I said in the intro, this is pretty much an analysis thread that I prefer get tucked away in the slider area (for various reasons).

Questions, analysis, tips, tricks, insights on life, etc. It's all welcome here.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:18 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Clenched would seem like fifth pitch. But it seems more used when in fastball counts. It also is not called a lot but you may be onto something! Fifth pitch should be least called for pitch in theory. Also, sometimes they kinda shake the 3 which sort of confuses me. Many of them they point down with which could suggest location. Like a 1 then he motions down but keeps one held. I see it mostly when X is the sinker which kinda makes sense.

Again, I maybe am hoping they programed something into the game that might be way too advanced. Also, I did ask my catching coach on this and he told me pitch calling is not always universal and especially in the MLB. That said the programers could have gone with the most basic general used style.

I would almost guarantee the pitch call and location animations are linked with their respective pitches and calls, not simply random animations. One way to test it would be to turn on the API and note what the catcher calls and then hit R2 to actually see what he is calling for. At work so cannot do it myself, but I would be VERY surprised if the animations were not specific to pitch and location. I myself tend to not pay as much attention to the catcher as I probably should, I try to play very fast paced games though with fast play on to get through a couple seasons, but the little bit I have paid attention they seem to be realistic to me.

About being a woman scout someday, I would tell you the same as my own girls, go for it! I will not sit here and tell you the path will be easy or that some people will not instantly discredit you, but there is absolutely no reason why a woman cannot be every bit as talented as a scout/coach or any other type of evaluator/mentor as a man - ABSOLUTELY ZERO. It sounds like you already have a much more significant background and passion for the game than most people, that passion and drive alone will carry you further than most. Also, the landscape for women in sports has recently began to change. We have women athletes every bit as dominant as their male counterparts, women referees in major sports, and I would not be surprised if their were women scouts in the MLB. If it is your dream, you owe it to yourself to go for it!
Old 05-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #38
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

I think this thread is becoming my favorite thread on the whole site, please everyone keep up these solid discussions and analysis, I am enjoying every bit of it!
Old 05-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #39
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanoble
I would almost guarantee the pitch call and location animations are linked with their respective pitches and calls, not simply random animations. One way to test it would be to turn on the API and note what the catcher calls and then hit R2 to actually see what he is calling for. At work so cannot do it myself, but I would be VERY surprised if the animations were not specific to pitch and location. I myself tend to not pay as much attention to the catcher as I probably should, I try to play very fast paced games though with fast play on to get through a couple seasons, but the little bit I have paid attention they seem to be realistic to me.

About being a woman scout someday, I would tell you the same as my own girls, go for it! I will not sit here and tell you the path will be easy or that some people will not instantly discredit you, but there is absolutely no reason why a woman cannot be every bit as talented as a scout/coach or any other type of evaluator/mentor as a man - ABSOLUTELY ZERO. It sounds like you already have a much more significant background and passion for the game than most people, that passion and drive alone will carry you further than most. Also, the landscape for women in sports has recently began to change. We have women athletes every bit as dominant as their male counterparts, women referees in major sports, and I would not be surprised if their were women scouts in the MLB. If it is your dream, you owe it to yourself to go for it!
First, the advice is great and thank you! Will definately not give up and it is nice to see people so positive and supporting. You and Hero both.

Second, crap!!!!! I had not thought about that the animations totally have to be connected as if you had API on and played on say Rookie level it would look totally stupid to have the catcher physically calling (animation) one thing and the visual icons saying something else.

In a second I will quickly test it. Practice mode will work for this. Then make a solid list of what The Show uses as pitch calling. I am embareassed that I did not realise this was so easy to do. Can find out what every animation means without any doubt! Since the API exists then of course the catcher is calling pitches.

Since they do not hide signals when runners are on second. I am sure of this as animations are never multiple calls, the list will be simple. The API never places balls beyond the black(to my knowledge) but pitch counts can confirm if the catcher wants some in zone and some out of it.

Give me a few hours as I want the sample size to be several hundred pitches.

Last edited by SpritePuck; 05-01-2015 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:04 PM   #40
MVP

Quote:
First, the advice is great and thank you! Will definately not give up and it is nice to see people so positive and supporting. You and Hero both.

Second, crap!!!!! I had not thought about that the animations totally have to be connected as if you had API on and played on say Rookie level it would look totally stupid to have the catcher physically calling (animation) one thing and the visual icons saying something else.

In a second I will quickly test it. Practice mode will work for this. Then make a solid list of what The Show uses as pitch calling. I am embareassed that I did not realise this was so easy to do. Can find out what every animation means without any doubt! Since the API exists then of course the catcher is calling pitches.

Since they do not hide signals when runners are on second. I am sure of this as animations are never multiple calls, the list will be simple. The API never places balls beyond the black(to my knowledge) but pitch counts can confirm if the catcher wants some in zone and some out of it.

Give me a few hours as I want the sample size to be several hundred pitches.
Nice. Keep us posted.

The API will call for balls off the plate this year. I think it has for awhile but it seems to me they've increased its likelihood for 15. A few years ago, if I recall correctly, it didn't happen at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »