Home

Ideas for better average and less balls hit right at people?

This is a discussion on Ideas for better average and less balls hit right at people? within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2017, 01:24 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 5
Ideas for better average and less balls hit right at people?

Hey y'all,

I am using TNK's sliders with heavy adjustments made by me. My issue is that I am just not getting enough hits/runs. I generally average around 2-3 runs a game; I haven't had any games where I've gotten more than 6 runs or so. I don't strike out a lot at all, and it seems like every ball I hit goes straight at a fielder as opposed to going over their heads, finding gaps, falling in between, etc. Anyone have any tips on how I can adjust this? I currently have the Solid Hits slider up fairly high (maybe 6 or 7). Would reducing that lead to more balls going for hits or just lead to weaker hits?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2017, 01:29 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Ideas for better average and less balls hit right at people?

Which hitting interface, Zone or Directional?
Old 05-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
Which hitting interface, Zone or Directional?
I can never remember which is which. I play I believe zone + analog (I use both the left and right joysticks to bat) and on All Star I believe, again with sliders adjusted considerably.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai2112
I can never remember which is which. I play I believe zone + analog (I use both the left and right joysticks to bat) and on All Star I believe, again with sliders adjusted considerably.
Sounds like Zone analog, if you are controlling PCI placement with L3.

If someone is controlling PCI manually and seeing balls not falling in between fielders enough, it's likely you are hitting fly balls too often by swinging under the pitch. So I'd check your ground ball/fly ball ratio, using Batter analysis screen after the game to see if you are hitting roughly equal number of fly balls and ground balls.

If you find that you hit too many fly balls, you need to try to keep PCI a bit higher than you do right now. You might also need to commit to swing a little earlier... since swinging late tends to lead to pop-ups and fly balls to the opposite fields.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Sounds like Zone analog, if you are controlling PCI placement with L3.

If someone is controlling PCI manually and seeing balls not falling in between fielders enough, it's likely you are hitting fly balls too often by swinging under the pitch. So I'd check your ground ball/fly ball ratio, using Batter analysis screen after the game to see if you are hitting roughly equal number of fly balls and ground balls.

If you find that you hit too many fly balls, you need to try to keep PCI a bit higher than you do right now. You might also need to commit to swing a little earlier... since swinging late tends to lead to pop-ups and fly balls to the opposite fields.
Thanks, I'll check that out. So you don't think adjusting the Solid Hits slider would affect it one way or the other?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chai2112
Thanks, I'll check that out. So you don't think adjusting the Solid Hits slider would affect it one way or the other?
Solid Hit slider does affect your tendency to hit more line drives (the higher, you hit more line drives)... but slider can do only so much if your tendency is extreme, as in with Zone hitting you can keep hitting into ground out by intentionally keeping PCI up high in the zone, or keep PCI low and keep hitting fly balls.

I think a lot of people tends to do the latter, because they are often late to swing (which slightly moves PCI down), and also the natural movement of thumb is to move the L3 stick down, so PCI often moves down along with it.

I'd try moving Solid Hit around, once you identify that your PCI movement/approach isn't as big of an issue.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Solid Hit slider does affect your tendency to hit more line drives (the higher, you hit more line drives)... but slider can do only so much if your tendency is extreme, as in with Zone hitting you can keep hitting into ground out by intentionally keeping PCI up high in the zone, or keep PCI low and keep hitting fly balls.

I think a lot of people tends to do the latter, because they are often late to swing (which slightly moves PCI down), and also the natural movement of thumb is to move the L3 stick down, so PCI often moves down along with it.

I'd try moving Solid Hit around, once you identify that your PCI movement/approach isn't as big of an issue.
Cool, makes sense. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:49 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 0

Hit em where they ain't

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »