Home

Hitting slider help please!!

This is a discussion on Hitting slider help please!! within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Hitting slider help please!!

I know hitting has been beat up on these boards but I'm really not trying to complain more looking for help. I'll start with I play on legend zone hitting and legend (up from HOF) meter pitching. I usually try to keep my hitting sliders at default. My issue is with balls that are squared up with good timing being weakly hit balls. Yes, I know that not all of these type of hits should result in a hit but they should be loud or hard outs. I feel like hitting is kind of random, weak and inconsistent since the last couple of patches though it did probably need to be toned down some.
I've tried to bump power up a notch but that proves to be too much. (Multiple 6 & 7 homer games plus an 8 and a 9 homer game) I've bumped power back down and raised contact a notch and that seems to help but I hate to raise my contact without raising the cpu's (feels like I'm cheating) and if I raise the cpu's contact on legend I get some pretty unrealistic contact out of them.
Do any of you have any recommendations? I have really never messed around with solid hits, wind etc. but any advice would be appreciated. I've played The Show since 2008 and this has been the toughest year for me to seem to get a good balance. Thank you in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
TrueSim Projects-Creator

Cycloniac's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Hitting slider help please!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen44
I know hitting has been beat up on these boards but I'm really not trying to complain more looking for help. I'll start with I play on legend zone hitting and legend (up from HOF) meter pitching. I usually try to keep my hitting sliders at default. My issue is with balls that are squared up with good timing being weakly hit balls. Yes, I know that not all of these type of hits should result in a hit but they should be loud or hard outs. I feel like hitting is kind of random, weak and inconsistent since the last couple of patches though it did probably need to be toned down some.
I've tried to bump power up a notch but that proves to be too much. (Multiple 6 & 7 homer games plus an 8 and a 9 homer game) I've bumped power back down and raised contact a notch and that seems to help but I hate to raise my contact without raising the cpu's (feels like I'm cheating) and if I raise the cpu's contact on legend I get some pretty unrealistic contact out of them.
Do any of you have any recommendations? I have really never messed around with solid hits, wind etc. but any advice would be appreciated. I've played The Show since 2008 and this has been the toughest year for me to seem to get a good balance. Thank you in advance.
I would try raising your solid hits slider a click or two.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 3

Agreed. Solid hits. If that does it work then add contact. Don't worry about the CPU too much. They find a way...
Old 05-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thank you for the suggestions. ill bump it up a notch and try that out.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #5
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen44
I personally wouldn't worry about comparing the human contact slider with the cpu contact slider. They are two different birds. Even if yours are higher you could potentially still be at a disadvantage, depending on CPU pitching sliders and your skill level. Im a stickler for doing nothing that gives me an unfair advantage over the CPU. In fact i would err in the other direction. That being said, what you are after is good realistic results. Since the cpu is going to pitch differently from you, the Human hitting sliders could end up much different than the CPU hitting sliders. Its not cheating if the results are correct.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #6
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

OVR: 0

Don't mean to dig up an old thread but this was close to the conversation I have just been having about the Contact slider so rather than make a new one I thought I'd tie it into this one.

Does the contact slider by itself affect hitting or does it have to be altered in conjunction with another slider (like solid hits, power, timing, etc.) in order to produce more base hits or home runs?

The description of the contact slider is that it improves vision and discipline. By my way of thinking that just means the hitter deciding whether to swing or not and the location of the pitch.

I might be wrong though, which is why I'm asking
Old 07-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
Does the contact slider by itself affect hitting or does it have to be altered in conjunction with another slider (like solid hits, power, timing, etc.) in order to produce more base hits or home runs?
For the User:

Contact impacts PCI placement (on any no-control-of-PCI interface - Directional and I think Analog). Higher = more consistently accurate PCI placement.

Contact impacts the expression of PVIS and DISC. You'll check swing easier (DISC) and make more raw contact (PVIS) on higher Contact. Vice versa, of course, for lower.

For the CPU:

It impacts the CPU hitters' strike zone judgement. High Contact can make them chase less (DISC) and make more contact on any swing (PVIS), and increases the size of the PCI.

If the CPU "uses" Directional interface (i.e. that's what's emulated when the CPU hitter places his PCI), then the same effect as above applies - more accurate PCI placement. If it "uses" Zone-type emulation, then it will do the same as for Zone users - larger PCI and "regions" within the PCI.

For Both:

The better PCI location and increased size can increase offense (sometimes dramatically). It impacts the expression Power and Solid Hits (those sliders still work off contact quality, which Contact slider impacts via PCI changes).

Of course, more contact leads to more expressions of power and solid hits (as well as power ratings). It doesn't, on it's own, create more power or better trajectories, per se. It helps creates better bat-ball contact, which increases the odds of better contact quality, which increases the amount of batted ball "oomph" that swing gets.

If you want more "maximum oomph" and carry, you'll need to raise power slider. If you're getting a lot of contact...but it's mostly poor trajectory and "Weak" contact even on good swings, you'll probably need to tweak solid hits.

It works with Timing to set the "forgiveness" of timing errors. The window widens and mistakes cost less. You're more likely to still get decent or better contact on early/late swings. Very early/late are still tough, but you might get fouls instead of misses (or you might get popups as well...bad swings are still bad swings, but instead of whiffs, you might get bloops, flares, choppers, instead).

It works with Foul Frequency in the sense that the "gray area" around the timing window/PCI is expanded because the window/PCI itself is expanded. This can create more contact at more extreme errors - which can create more contact as well (and potentially, more hits).

Contact is a powerful slider a lot of times, but it does have its limits and can only do so much but for raising or decreasing offense. It's like the size of a dart board - you make it small, but if you get a bullseye, you still got a bullseye. Lower contact won't change that and higher won't make a bad throw a bullseye, but you might land on the board at least.

Last edited by KBLover; 07-29-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
Don't mean to dig up an old thread but this was close to the conversation I have just been having about the Contact slider so rather than make a new one I thought I'd tie it into this one.

The description of the contact slider is that it improves vision and discipline. By my way of thinking that just means the hitter deciding whether to swing or not and the location of the pitch.

I might be wrong though, which is why I'm asking
It basically extended the range of the PCI. Just imaging your PCI seeming a bit bigger (without it actually appearing so). Essentially the overall effect is more hits, higher batting average. Won’t really affect types of hits...that is what power is for.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »