Home

MLB The Show 17 Franchise Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Franchise Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2017, 12:51 AM   #857
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: MLB The Show 17 Franchise Discussion Thread

Finished the final 2 games of my first series with the Padres against the Dodgers, lost the first one 6-2 on the back of 3 homers from the Dodgers. Won the last game 2-1 to split the series with them. Wil Myers hit a homerun in both games and Ryan Schimpf is hitting .417 after the first 4 games of the season.

Biggest Surprise: Eric Aybar with 2 steals so far

Biggest Disappointment: Giving up too many homers to lefties.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:25 AM   #858
Rookie

dpmx21's Arena

OVR: 5

Here's another star studded HoF class.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #859
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Harper is in free fall for me

He's down to a 75 OVR even though he's hitting .301 with 20 HR in 392 AB's in 2024. Career line of .300/.396/.561 and OPS of .957. He's at 398 HR and 1,905 H.

At his current regression rate he's got like one more year at best and I have him under contract for 3 more I believe.

After 140 games in 2024 I have a 2.0 game lead on the Washington Nationals. The young man pictured above is SP Rodney Duvall. With the season ending injury of SP Alex Reyes and the end of the rotation struggling we decided to give Duvall a shot. He didn't disappoint in his first major league start taking down the Nationals 7-2. Duvall almost went the distance but gave up a run in the 9th with 2 outs. His line: 8.2 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 BB, 9 K. Without a doubt we left him out there too long but we want to see if he could finish it himself to cap off his MLB debut. Duvall was the big piece brought back for 1B Matt Thaiss last year at the trade deadline. The 5'11" lefty sits at 95-98 with his 4-seam fastball and mixes in a mid-80's CB, 90 MPH SL, and 93-95 2-seam fastball. Everything was working against the Nats and he flashed some pure dominance.

Current record: 79-61, 1st in NL East

Top 3 stories:

CF Austin Meadows coming on strong
Meadows is in his last year of team control and he's going on an absolute tear over the 2nd half of the season. He's hitting nearly 30 points above his career .259 average (.287) and is only 7 RBI shy of his career high (76 -> 83). He's no longer the SB threat of 5 years ago but he's coming into his own at the plate and likely going to demand a contract around $20M/year in free agency. He was sitting around .240 the first half with only a handful of HR's but he's been one of the best hitters in the NL the 2nd half.

SP Julius McFarland eyes NL Rookie of the Year
McFarland has posted a 13-3 record to this point and a very respectable 3.56 ERA and 1.27 WHIP in 174.2 IP. He's not a big strikeout guy (142 K) but he gets clutch outs. He's tied for 1st in the NL in pitching victories and leads the NL ROtY voting. The Braves have owned that award winning it 3 of the previous 7 seasons.

The Dias/Kopech duo is deadly in the pen
Michael Kopech has excelled in his new role as a flame throwing closer. He's converted 37/40 save chances posting a 2.57 ERA and 0.95 WHIP. Rookie Francisco Dias has put up ridiculous numbers in the setup role as he's compiled a 1.18 ERA and 0.85 WHIP in 45.2 IP. He's notched three saves of his own and continues to get better.

The last 22 games of the season are going to be intense and we play the Nationals in 6 of those 22 games.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #860
Pro

Itsma806's Arena

OVR: 0

MIAMI MARLINS END OF REGULAR SEASON 2018

RECORD: 97-65

SERIES RESULTS
9/01/18-09/30/18

1.@ CIN 2-0
2.@ ATL 3-0
3.VS. NYM 2-2
4.VS PHI. 3-0
5.VS. COL 1-2
6.@ PHI 3-0
7.@ WSH 3-0
8.@ NYM 2-1
9. VS. MIL 3-1

STANDINGS

Spoiler

Overview

We have won the division for the second year in a row! And we improved our overall record by one game over last season. Jung Ho Kang won the NL MVP, HANK AARON AWARD and SILVER SLUGGER while leading the league in HR (54), RBI (118), SLUG % (.642) AND OPS (.996). Chris Sale won the NL CY YOUNG while leading the league in WINS (20), STRIKE OUTS (276), COMPLETE GAMES (6), INNINGS PITCHED (237.1) AND WHIP (0.93).

We will have a rematch of last years a NLDS series as we are set to face the Cubbies.

Award Winners

NATIONAL LEAGUE

MVP
Jung Ho Kang SS 83 OVR MIA:
.293 AVG/54 HR/118 RBI

CY YOUNG
Chris Sale SP 98 OVR MIA:
20-8/2.46 ERA/276 SO

BATTING TITLE
Michael Brantley LF 90 OVR STL:
.321 AVG/20 HR/79 RBI

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Carlos Gonzalez 3B 76 OVR PHI:
.255 AVG/31 HR/76 RBI

AMERICAN LEAGUE
MVP

Edwin Encarnacion DH 87 OVR CLE:
.280 AVG/46 HR/102 RBI

CY YOUNG
Carlos Carrasco SP 86 OVR CLE:
18-10/3.61 ERA/187 SO

BATTING TITLE
Jose Ramirez 3B 88 OVR CLE:
.318 AVG/24 HR/85 RBI

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR
Rod Henderson DH 68 OVR CHW:
.275 AVG/26 HR/77 RBI

Team Rankings
Batting Average:1ST (.267)
Runs: 2ND (711)
Hits: 2ND (1499)
Doubles: 14TH (265)
Triples: 21ST: (29)
Homeruns: 4TH (212)
Stolen Bases: 8TH (100)
Walks: 30TH (421)
Strike outs: 6TH (1201)
ERA: 5TH (3.38)
Hits allowed: 5TH (1340)
Runs allowed: 6TH (580)
HR allowed: 7TH (161)
Walks: 1ST (340)
Strike Outs: 10TH (1330)

I'll do the playoff series preview at a later time. Hopefully we can avoid getting swept like we did last year!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Itsma806; 08-20-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #861
Into the Wild

beekay415's Arena

Trying to decided between reds/orioles, any insight y'all can give to help me pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 PM   #862
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay415
Trying to decided between reds/orioles, any insight y'all can give to help me pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Depends on what direction you want to go.

-If you're going for a full rebuild, O's would probably be more fun because you end up faced with either moving Machado to re-stock an extremely weak farm (aside from Chance Sisco), and trying to build around that rotation without a lot of high end arms. I look at the O's in the same boat as the Marlins (but with a better stadium), as a team with a reasonable amount of talent at the Major league level, but not much underneath. A half decent, tough and fun team to try to build. If you're planning to play a lot of the games, you get to play your home games at Camden, which is pretty friggin' beautiful, and a huge plus.

-The Reds have a good amount of decent prospects to try to put something together with, but they don't have nearly as much talent at the MLB level. Probably more entertaining to build if you're simming, because they've got Joey Votto, Billy Hamilton and then nobody. Sure, the Great American Ballpark is also beautiful, but if you're planning to actually play games, having Homer Bailey, Scott Feldman and Bronson Arroyo in your rotation added to the fact that you have to play against the Cubs a bunch of times, will require you to have a tonne of patience.

I personally really, really don't like the Orioles, but as tough as it is for me to say, I'd take them 100% of the time in this matchup.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:17 PM   #863
Into the Wild

beekay415's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
Depends on what direction you want to go.

-If you're going for a full rebuild, O's would probably be more fun because you end up faced with either moving Machado to re-stock an extremely weak farm (aside from Chance Sisco), and trying to build around that rotation without a lot of high end arms. I look at the O's in the same boat as the Marlins (but with a better stadium), as a team with a reasonable amount of talent at the Major league level, but not much underneath. A half decent, tough and fun team to try to build. If you're planning to play a lot of the games, you get to play your home games at Camden, which is pretty friggin' beautiful, and a huge plus.

-The Reds have a good amount of decent prospects to try to put something together with, but they don't have nearly as much talent at the MLB level. Probably more entertaining to build if you're simming, because they've got Joey Votto, Billy Hamilton and then nobody. Sure, the Great American Ballpark is also beautiful, but if you're planning to actually play games, having Homer Bailey, Scott Feldman and Bronson Arroyo in your rotation added to the fact that you have to play against the Cubs a bunch of times, will require you to have a tonne of patience.

I personally really, really don't like the Orioles, but as tough as it is for me to say, I'd take them 100% of the time in this matchup.
Thanks for the input, think im leaning to the Orioles, weaker farm system then the reds and unlike real life ill have no problem tearing it down if i need to, which is probably likely.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #864
MVP

Trent Booty's Arena

Seattle Mariners Franchise
Start of 2022

After missing the playoffs again in 2021 due to injuries to 4/9 of the opening day starters and struggles in the rotation by Marco Gonzales and Andrew Moore, the Mariners are looking to bounce back and make a serious run by fielding an elite team now that everyone is healthy.

Here is my opening day roster, along with lineups, bench, rotation, and bullpen to start the season:

Lineup:

1.) SS Jean Segura - Hit .316 and reached 1500 hits in 2021 and is now only 9 HR from 100 career HR. Has two years left on his massive contract extension he signed in 2017.

2.) RF Mitch Haniger - Hit .298 with 34 HRs and reached 100 career HRs in 2021. He is in the final year of his contract before he's eligible for free agency.

3.) 2B Robinson Cano - After struggling in 2020 and moving down to 5th in the lineup, Cano quickly regained his 3rd spot in the order by hitting 27 HRs in 142 games, his most since 2018. Still has this year and next year left on his huge contract, so it's likely he retires after 2022 as a 40-year old hall of famer.

4.) DH Dan Vogelbach - After hitting 32 HR and driving in over 100 RBIs in his first full season in 2019, he has hit 24 and then 26 HRs the last two years and has driven in 86 and 88 RBIs. However he is still a perennial .300 hitter and is a great fit for the cleanup spot.

5.) 3B Kyle Seager - Struggled and had his worst batting average in his career (.244) in 2021, however still had good power numbers (27 HR). Is in the last year of his contract, and is 34 years old, so I intend to make re-signing him to a lesser contract (2-3 years) my top priority to have Seager retire a Mariner.

6.) C Brock Williams - Hit 24 HRs in 2021, although has the potential to hit 40 bombs if he can hit for higher average. He hit .245 in his rookie year and hit .246 last year. If he can get it above .260 there is no doubt he will hit around 30 this year for sure. I project him as a .275/40 HR threat every year at his peak.

7.) 1B Evan White - Just signed a 3 year 27M dollar contract that will take him through his arbitration years after hitting .305 with 20 HRs last year. He plays gold glove caliber defense and could easily hit another 25 bombs this year.

8.) LF Ben Gamel - In the last year of his contract. He is good for at least 10 HRs every year but not more than 15. He also will hit anywhere from .270 to .310 and can swipe 20+ bases. He is valuable, but might be asking for too much money as we have capable replacements (Kyle Lewis, the Douglas twins, and Shawn O'Malley) in LF for the future.

9. CF Kyle Lewis - Atfter hitting below the mendoza line through April, he was sent down to AAA and was brought back up in September, where he finished with a .205 AVG and 0 HRs. He will hoepfully look to stick in the MLB full time this year.

Bench:

UTL Taylor Motter - Can play anywhere but catcher, provides great depth on the bench. However, he is in the last year of his contract and I value Shawn O'Malley more so he is likely gone after this season.

UTL Shawn O'Malley - The Washington native is more of a an favorite than Motter and is better defensively and with the bat, showcased by his .303 AVG last year. He will likely be re-signed to be the primary utility guy as he is also in the last year of his contract.

C Mike Zunino - Since he is only the backup catcher, all you can really ask from Mike Z is around 10 HRs and an average above the Mendoza line and you'll be fine. He is signed for the next four years so he will likely retire a Mariner as he won't be a FA until he is 35 years old.

4th OF Guillermo Heredia - Is a FA after the season, and will liekly be let go due to the amount of OF talent we have waiting to be called up.

Rotation:

1.) LHP James Paxton - Finished 2nd in the Cy Young voting and will likely retire a Mariner as he has 4 years left on his contract and is 33 years old. Will hope for another sub-3 ERA this year to make it 5/6 years since 2017 with an ERA under 3.00.

2.) RHP Felix Hernandez - Felix is in the last year of his contract, and posted his highest ERA since 2016 last year, so there is cause for concern, but he will likely be re-signed to a 2-3 year contract, similar to Kyle Seager so he can retire a Mariner. Already has over 200 wins and 3000 strikeouts, so he will look to end a hall of fame career by making a deep run into the playoffs at some point.

3.) RHP Jose Spanos - Honestly would be an ace on a bad team, and a solid #2 on a good team, so the fact that he's a #3 is a testament to how good Paxton and Felix are. Hopefully the 22 year old can stay around his career average 3.50 ERA and throw over 200 innings after hitting 190 in 2021.

4.) RHP Nick Neidert - The 25 year old had a 3.64 ERA last year, throwing just over 100 innings after being called up to replace Andrew Moore who had been struggling. Hopefully he can keep his ERA under 4 and stick in the rotation this year.

5.) RHP Sam Carlson - After making his MLB debut last year, the 23-year old made 5 total starts and had a 2.86 ERA, however there are question marks regarding whether he can do it over the course of a full season. He will also hope to stick in the rotation.

Bullpen:

LR Ariel Miranda - Miranda had a career resurgence in 2021 after being kicked from the rotation in 2019 and struggling in '19/'20. He shined in many roles, as he made 10 spot starts, threw over 135 innings, and had a 2.33 ERA in multiple roles, including picking up 2 saves when Diaz was unavailable to pitch. He truly did it all and will be used again in multiple roles this year, although he hopefully won't have to make 10 spot starts again but I hope he can still be very valuable and throw over 100 innings again.

LOOGY James Pazos - After being used more as a middle reliever and consistently being average, last year Pazos stepped into a more LOOGY type role and mainly faced left handed hitters, and posted a 1.70 ERA in just under 70 innings in 66 appearances. He stll has two years of control left so hoepfully he can stay sharp over the next two years.

MR Chase De Jong - Probably our worst reliever but that is more a testament to how good our bullpen is rather than a slight on De Jong. He still struggled a for a bit in 2021 but should bounce back. He was a converted starter so the ability to go 2, sometimes 3 innings still for us despite not starting since 2019 is a helpful component to his game.

MR Dan Altavilla - The fireballer finsihed 2021 with a 3.50 ERA but has an uncanny ability to pitch multiple days in a row without it affecting him, so he is almost always available to pitch.

MR Jonathan Aro - After being sent down early into 2021, Aro eventually came back in early-August and finished with a 2.42 ERA and was used as a 7th inning guy at times. He has the ability to also go 2 innings sometimes so there were times he pitched the 6th AND 7th innings to hold games. He will likely be able to do the same this year. He will be out main 7th inning guy to start the seaon but I will also ride the hot hand, as there are gonna be a mjority of games where our starter goes at least 6 innings.

SU Thyago Viera - the flamethrower from Brazil posted a 2.11 ERA as our primary set up man in 2021. He has absurd K/9 numbers, and would likely be an elite closer if he was most other teams.

CP Edwin Diaz - Had 37 saves last year, giving him 201 career saves, which is the Mariners all-time record (2nd is 129), and had a 2.29 ERA, which is basically expected from Diaz at this point. Also only walked 8 guys in 55 innings last year which mean Diaz could be even better this year is he can completely control his pitches.

And that is the 25-man roster! I will likely not make a top-30 prospects list, as I am basically making it all created players at this point. The only real players left that qualify as 'prospects' are Joe Rizzo (who is still in AA) and Sam Carlson, who is in the rotation currently, and other than them, the only prospects I care about at this point are the Douglas twins, who are 21 year olds I found in the draft that had the same last name, played the same position, were both the same skill wise, and are both from the same state. I thought it was really cool and both are likely going to make their MLB debuts in September when the rosters expand.

I am likely going to play this franchise until I win a world series, which could potentially happen this year if everyone stays healthy on my team. My goal is to at least MAKE the world series this year, but I won't be mad if we don't. I WILL be mad if we don't even make the playoffs though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »