Home

Official MLB The Show 17 Fantasy Draft Franchise Progress Thread

This is a discussion on Official MLB The Show 17 Fantasy Draft Franchise Progress Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2017, 03:16 PM   #177
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Official MLB The Show 17 Fantasy Draft Franchise Progress Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesBoy
You guys have probably addressed this but I'll ask anyways in hopes of a response. But how do y'all deal with the terrible 25 man roster set up the CPU has after the draft? Only having 1 or 2 bench players. Does this correct itself during the season or do you have to manually set all teams rosters?
It solves itself after year one as I found out in my Cardinals Franchise I stared on MLB 16.

When I do get around to doing a new fantasy draft team on 17 (actually might not even get around to it this cycle to be honest), I am going to run a 30 team draft and draft all 30 teams 25 man rosters, then let it auto pick the remaining players for the other 29 teams.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 08-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #178
Rookie

OVR: 1

Decided to jump in on a fantasy draft using the OSFM 3.0 release.

Using the Seattle Mariners as they are one of few teams to never actually make it to a World Series let alone win one. The team was built with the idea of using a pitching first mentality and it really comes off looking pretty solid especially the bullpen.

We had the 1st overall pick in the draft.

CATCHERS
Carlos Ruiz
Andrew Knapp

FIRST BASE
Steve Pearce
Josh Bell

SECOND BASE
Ketel Marte
Aaron Hill

THIRD BASE
Rafael Devers

SHORTSTOP
Gleyber Torres
Brendan Rodgers

LEFT FIELD
Cody Bellinger

CENTER FIELD
David Dahl

RIGHT FIELD
Carlos Beltran
Hunter Renfroe

STARTING PITCHERS
Clayton Kershaw
Luis Severino
Jose Berrios
Taijuan Walker
Alex Reyes

RELIEF PITCHERS
Andrew Miller
Jeurys Familia
Chris Devenski
Koji Uehara
Trevor Rosenthal
Kevin Siegrist

CLOSER
Edwin Diaz
Old 08-09-2017, 04:05 PM   #179
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

So after looking through, I don’t think I saw this.

How do you guys handle closers? They probably shouldn’t be drafted based on rating like the cpu does it (at least I wouldn’t do that since a closer is worthless on a bad team), but making them all relief pitchers doesn’t seem to work that well either since they’ll all be concentrated into a few rounds. That being said, I guess in a fantasy draft the talent is pretty spread out so I guess a Jansen or Miller would go first round and the team could still perform well. I’m leaning the closer way actually.

Also, do you make like the top 60 guys closers? Because miller would not be a setup man save for two teams in the league; he would be closing games.

I know the 30 team control will be brought up, but I don’t think I would trust myself to be satisfied with how I would draft the teams.

You don’t care where I sent this from

- Rick Wise
Old 08-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #180
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
So after looking through, I don’t think I saw this.

How do you guys handle closers? They probably shouldn’t be drafted based on rating like the cpu does it (at least I wouldn’t do that since a closer is worthless on a bad team), but making them all relief pitchers doesn’t seem to work that well either since they’ll all be concentrated into a few rounds. That being said, I guess in a fantasy draft the talent is pretty spread out so I guess a Jansen or Miller would go first round and the team could still perform well. I’m leaning the closer way actually.

Also, do you make like the top 60 guys closers? Because miller would not be a setup man save for two teams in the league; he would be closing games.

I know the 30 team control will be brought up, but I don’t think I would trust myself to be satisfied with how I would draft the teams.

I'm toying with the idea of editing all non-starting pitchers to be RPs with no closers. Then draft. Then re-edit the best RP on each team to closer. Or maybe never edit them back again and just see what happens.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:56 PM   #181
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I'm toying with the idea of editing all non-starting pitchers to be RPs with no closers. Then draft. Then re-edit the best RP on each team to closer. Or maybe never edit them back again and just see what happens.
Well I did that, and I never edited them back to closer status. The best one got put into closer and the morale was affected just like it would be otherwise. It also loaded the good teams since the first overall pick had the first pick of the relief pitchers.

My issue is this. I don’t like the relief rush. Having it happen in one round seems kinda dumb. But, I also don’t think that Jansen, no matter how a team would draft, would ever take him like 4th overall or whatever. But a team will definitely take him way before the ninth round, and I’m leaning toward letting the cpu be dumb on those guys to prevent the top loading of teams thanks to bad draft logic and it seems closer to what would actually happen with Jansen being taken probably third round. Plus, a good closer will win the close games, which there will likely be a lot of if a team takes a closer first.

- Rick Wise
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #182
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
Well I did that, and I never edited them back to closer status. The best one got put into closer and the morale was affected just like it would be otherwise. It also loaded the good teams since the first overall pick had the first pick of the relief pitchers.

My issue is this. I don’t like the relief rush. Having it happen in one round seems kinda dumb. But, I also don’t think that Jansen, no matter how a team would draft, would ever take him like 4th overall or whatever. But a team will definitely take him way before the ninth round, and I’m leaning toward letting the cpu be dumb on those guys to prevent the top loading of teams thanks to bad draft logic and it seems closer to what would actually happen with Jansen being taken probably third round. Plus, a good closer will win the close games, which there will likely be a lot of if a team takes a closer first.

My issue is not so much where the cpu drafts which RP, or if they all come off the board the same round or two (think how Madden does it with kickers, lol)--I just don't want them forgoing what they think is best player available (based on OVR probably) just because another guy has "CP" as his position. In other words, would they take 60 OVR Brad Ziegler instead of 92 OVR Andrew Miller just because one is technically a closer at the moment and one isn't? That I do not like. If the cpu wants to take Kenley Jansen at #1 overall, at least he's a guy that they can build around for many years.

There are enough decent relievers that, as the human participant, you can piece something together at closer even if if the cpu drafts funky and takes 60 RPs in a row or whatever while you're not paying attention.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #183
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

Yeah, that’s mostly what I was trying to articulate, just doing a bad job. I’m actually thinking that maybe the top 15 or so guys with real longevity and a realistic chance to stick at closer (probably no Uehara, since he wouldn’t be a build piece) should be closers, that way, like you said teams will build around them. With the other guys, they wouldn’t be built around so they would stick around until the later rounds.

I did a test with every reliever over 80 being made a closer, just to see what would happen. Just like normal, the closers went amongst the other players. But then in round 9 it was weird. About the first 7 picks were relievers, and then after that none. It was regular stuff. The relievers got mixed in with the next few rounds just like regular players. And the rest of the closers that didn’t get picked were around for a long time. I got tired of waiting and simmed, and they all got sent to the minors since each team already had a closer. not sure if it helps, but I thought it was at least interesting.

- Rick Wise
Old 08-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #184
MVP

OVR: 11

Looking to do a fantasy draft with 2 teams
AL and NL team. Would like to select a team i dont normallg play with. Have a normal 30 team chise going where i control TB/NYY, Det/MN, Oak/LAA, SD/AZ, ChC/CN, ATL/NYM. So those teams are out of contention. So what two teams should i play with?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »