Home

MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2017, 01:28 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunogomes
Oh, i got it perfectly now! Amazing explanation!

Thanks!

How does a hitter's vision rating affect their hitting ability? I interpret good vision as seeing pitches well and drawing walks, but if that is it, then it becomes a moot point with a human controller bat. Can someone fill in the gaps for me please?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #66
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozezanc
How does a hitter's vision rating affect their hitting ability? I interpret good vision as seeing pitches well and drawing walks, but if that is it, then it becomes a moot point with a human controller bat. Can someone fill in the gaps for me please?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I always thought "vision" was how well the batter gets the meat part of the bat in the right spot during the swing. I'm probably wrong though.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #67
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozezanc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
I always thought "vision" was how well the batter gets the meat part of the bat in the right spot during the swing. I'm probably wrong though.
You're both right... and you're both wrong. What vision does changes on your hitting interface.

If you're simming, vision combines with discipline to determine walks and pitch counts.

If you're using the PCI, vision determines the frequency of fouls vs swing and misses on pitches outside of the PCI when you swing. Timing is also a factor.

In directional and pure analog, vision is used to help determine the batters PCI placement, and is very important in the Directional interface. Again timing is also a factor, but batters can "adjust" to your mistakes using vision, again especially in directional.

So in directional, when you mis-time a pitch out of the zone, and your batter fouls it off, that's their vision at work. Then again, when you time a pitch perfectly right in your happy zone and the batter only does a weak pop up, that's your vision failing, so it cuts both ways.

Think of it this way: In directional, contact effects how large of an effective hitting zone a player can cover, while Vision effects how well they can adjust to different speeds and follow the pitch. Probably the most important stat in Directional.

Directional is my hitting interface, so I can't really speak much to the other ones.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 04-05-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:59 PM   #68
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
You're both right... and you're both wrong. What vision does changes on your hitting interface.

If you're simming, vision combines with discipline to determine walks and pitch counts.

If you're using the PCI, vision determines the frequency of fouls vs swing and misses on pitches outside of the PCI when you swing. Timing is also a factor.

In directional and pure analog, vision is used to help determine the batters PCI placement, and is very important in the Directional interface. Again timing is also a factor, but batters can "adjust" to your mistakes using vision, again especially in directional.

So in directional, when you mis-time a pitch out of the zone, and your batter fouls it off, that's their vision at work. Then again, when you time a pitch perfectly right in your happy zone and the batter only does a weak pop up, that's your vision failing, so it cuts both ways.

Think of it this way: In directional, contact effects how large of an effective hitting zone a player can cover, while Vision effects how well they can adjust to different speeds and follow the pitch. Probably the most important stat in Directional.

Directional is my hitting interface, so I can't really speak much to the other ones.
Good info thanks. I don't use directional but still helpful.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:53 AM   #69
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
In directional, where the reticle moves is based on the batter's vision. The player holding the controller does not move it.
Hey, thanks for the helpful info. Curious: How do you know the above is true? Are you saying that batter vision influences how big the invisible PCI for directional hitting is? And how does vision influence where the PCI moves to? Is it a thing where higher vision means the PCI will move closer to where the pitch is expected to go?
Old 04-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #70
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
Hey, thanks for the helpful info. Curious: How do you know the above is true? Are you saying that batter vision influences how big the invisible PCI for directional hitting is? And how does vision influence where the PCI moves to? Is it a thing where higher vision means the PCI will move closer to where the pitch is expected to go?
To answer your questions in order, I don't really know if anything I said is true, but I've spent a lot of time with directional hitting and I'm pretty good at picking up on tenancies an patterns. As I stated earlier in the thread, my info is in no way official.

No, vision does not effect the PCI size, only the movement (which is invisible to the player) The PCI shown on the screen shows total potential plate coverage, not actual PCI placement. Actual PCI size is determined by contact rating and the opposing pitcher's H9.

Yes, vision effects how likely the player is to follow the pitch and square up the ball. There are no guarantees, even at 99 vision, that the player will square up the pitch every time, but higher vision players are more likely to get more solid contact. They are also more likely to foul off as opposed to swing and miss on mis-timed or difficult pitches.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #71
MVP

COMMISSIONERHBK9's Arena

OVR: 19

so how far up do you put the reticle ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxSWAG SURFINlx
All of this is my opinion, I can't prove it, but I'm pretty good and have years of experience with this setting. So, if the ball is centered between top and bottom of the zone, it will give you a line drive trajectory. If you want to try to a home run or a sacrifice fly, you're better served to try to place the ball toward the top of the zone, because you'll get more air under it. If you're trying to advance a runner with a ground ball, you want to try to place the zone on, but shifted slightly above the ball so that the ball is hit toward the bottom of the zone.

Left to right, you generally want it to be centered. If your zone is inside the ball, so for a lefty, you have the zone more to the right and the ball appears on the left side of the zone, you're moving toward slicing the ball into left field. And vice versa. If the ball is inside and your zone is more outside, you are going to pop the ball up more often or pull it foul. In both instances, you're more likely to foul the ball off as opposed to having a centered ball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 PM   #72
Pro

OVR: 1

So if the pitcher keeps throwing low balls, should I be pulling the left stick down to swing, or up?

Also, when are the ideal times to differentiate between using the regular swing, contact and power? Other than obviously when a batters stats heavily favor one over the other..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »