Home

MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #1
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

Wanted to restart this thread this year due to the a lot of the differences in the game play conflicting some of the information in the last thread.

Have at it!

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: MLB The Show 17 Teach Me/Strategies Thread

I'm glad to see the new batting tendency attribute setting, but what stats would I look at IRL to tell if a player is a push, pull or balanced or extreme push/pull hitter? I havent really thought about it in the past since it wasnt editable. Thanks for any help.

A Work in Progress
Old 03-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Pro

ramspeedkill's Arena

OVR: 3

how do you guys score from 3rd to home on a sac fly w/out moving a runner from 1st to 2nd, i always end up moving runner from 1st and is tagged out
Old 03-28-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I'm glad to see the new batting tendency attribute setting, but what stats would I look at IRL to tell if a player is a push, pull or balanced or extreme push/pull hitter? I havent really thought about it in the past since it wasnt editable. Thanks for any help.
In the bluntest sense, just the pull rate stats.

Fangraphs has them for all players (here is a link for Donaldson as an example). Not entirely sure what the game deems as extreme - best bet is to start a play now game and then use the spray charts on the pause menu to determine that - or I'm sure someone here knows that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramspeedkill
how do you guys score from 3rd to home on a sac fly w/out moving a runner from 1st to 2nd, i always end up moving runner from 1st and is tagged out
Move the L-stick towards the runner on 3rd and then hit X to send him home. If you hit L1 (which is what I assume you're doing) then all runners will advance. The L-stick gives you control over a specific runner.

Last edited by theaub; 03-28-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #5
Pro

Mikeyo918's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
Wanted to restart this thread this year due to the a lot of the differences in the game play conflicting some of the information in the last thread.

Have at it!
Hey Mill, can you post your umpire guide.
Florida Panthers
Miami Hurricanes
Chelsea Blues
InterMiami
MLBTS ‘23 (PS5)

https://www.twitch.tv/coastiemike918
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #6
Rookie

mosdef328's Arena

OVR: 0

So I know this is a question with a lot of different answers, but anyone want to give some advice for directional hitting noobs. I mean like I typically use contact swings when I'm down 2 strikes, I use normal swings the rest of the time, and I almost never use a power swing. Anyone have other strategies worth trying?
Old 03-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef328
So I know this is a question with a lot of different answers, but anyone want to give some advice for directional hitting noobs. I mean like I typically use contact swings when I'm down 2 strikes, I use normal swings the rest of the time, and I almost never use a power swing. Anyone have other strategies worth trying?
if I have a runner on third w/less 2 out and am playing for one run late in the game, and I have a batter with no pop, I will occasionally power swing to try to get that sac fly. better than a groundout. IMO

A Work in Progress
Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 AM   #8
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef328

CB's guide to hitting has a lot of good posts from around OS with tips on all the different methods of hitting; http://www.operationsports.com/forum...e-hitting.html

I personally try to hit for power with the middle of my lineup when I have a hitter's count. I.e your 2-0, 3-1 etc. This is because more times than not the pitcher needs a strike and when you need to hit a zone you are more likely to use your best pitch. The best pitch for more pitchers is a good ole' fastball. Pick an area of the zone, maybe up and in, for example, and if the pitch is there, use that power swing. When you're ahead in the count ITS OK TO TAKE A STRIKE if it's not in your wheel house. You don't have to swing at that low and away sinker just because the count will move to 2-1.
*I will occasionally try to go yard by power swinging with a big bat when there's nobody on base and 2 outs also, because why not

Contact swing is more of my go to when I need to either advance the runners, or I'm fighting to stay alive. This helps a lot when you are down in the count or you need to move runners over. Contact swing allows you to scratch and claw to put a ball in play, which is always a lot better than swinging through something for strike 3.

As for directional hitting, I use it a lot when I try to put the ball in certain parts of the field in order to increase my chances of scoring that guy on base. For example, if there's a man on 2nd with no outs, I will point the stick to the left whether its in the middle of the screen or toward the bottom of the screen as a ball hit to the right side of the field will most likely advance the runner. If there's a guy on third feel free to point the stick up to the sky as a flyball would allow him to try and tag to score from third.

In my opinion you don't need to aim the directional stick every single pitch, but it definitely helps being more efficient in clutch situations where you really need to try and DIRECT () where you want to slap that ball into play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »