Home

Directional Hitting Guide

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting Guide within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #49
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Directional Hitting Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind

Wild Tips and Theories

I'm going to rate these theories from 0 to 10, where 10 is something that could/would have been posted earlier and 0 is something that's entirely superstition and in my head.

1 - Doing a practice swing before the pitcher sets gives the batter a boost of vision.

3 - Asking for time (pressing down of the d pad) at a crucial time can give your batter a buff and the pitcher a debuff
oh man, if these arent incorporated into the game, they should be.

A Work in Progress
Old 05-03-2017, 06:29 PM   #50
Rookie

KTBFFH's Arena

OVR: 0

Wow, thread of the year so far. Thank you enormously for these posts!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:51 PM   #51
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
oh man, if these arent incorporated into the game, they should be.
You'd be shocked then at what they did put in the game. Like having Villar on 1st and throwing over to check the runner really does make a worse jump but also worse control for the pitcher etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #52
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Few more things I thought of:

10 - the more your batters see of a pitcher, the better vision they have. This is in part true because as a pitcher tires their K/9 (the stat that battles vision) gets debuffed. It's also true within the context of a single at bat though. So the more pitches you take the better your batter, the more you improve your chances of solid contact. A small but important buff.

8 - Meanwhile swings that you mistime or just plain swing and miss early in the count will add a vision debuff.

4 - Influencing effects bunting as well (NL batters pls confirm).
Old 05-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #53
Rookie

engrishbwudd's Arena

Quote:
Few more things I thought of:

10 - the more your batters see of a pitcher, the better vision they have. This is in part true because as a pitcher tires their K/9 (the stat that battles vision) gets debuffed. It's also true within the context of a single at bat though. So the more pitches you take the better your batter, the more you improve your chances of solid contact. A small but important buff.

8 - Meanwhile swings that you mistime or just plain swing and miss early in the count will add a vision debuff.

4 - Influencing effects bunting as well (NL batters pls confirm).
I love that working the count increases your chances, but certain players have a first pitch hitting quirk that gives them a boost as well. Forces the player to familiarise themselves with their lineup to perform better. The Show is just about the only sports game on the market where player ratings have such an impact.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #54
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

Here's 2 cue cards for those like me with a Goldfish memory :-)

Old 05-04-2017, 07:11 PM   #55
Banned

So have to hold the direction towards right field as the pitcher is pitching to me and hold it all the way through contact?

Does that mean I have choose which way I want to "aim" before the pitchers windup? What if he puitches inside and I am aiming right.... You cant choose which way yo to aim as the pitch is coming in? That would make 100000000X more sense since that's ACTUAL BASEBALL

Quote:
With all the new players in the Show this year and all the questions that have come along with them, I thought it’d be prudent to compile all of my info on directional hitting in one referable spot.

Disclaimer: All of this info has been learned just by playing the game and recognizing patterns. It is in no way official and I welcome any criticism or corrections from the OS community.

The Basics

Contact, Normal and Power Swing: You can do a contact swing by pressing circle to swing, a normal with x, and a power swing with square.

Contact swings give a large boost to contact and vision no matter the swing influence, but come with a massive power penalty. They should be used on two strike counts when you want to work your way back, or by really bad hitters (ie your pitcher).

Normal swings are your players natural swing. Use this swing most of the time.

Power swings add a little power, but at a massive cost to contact and vision. Don’t use power swing unless you are truly desperate. We’re talking 9th inning 2 out nothing to lose situations. Most of the time using a power swing is equivalent to throwing your at bat away.

Contact vs Vision: There is a lot of confusion about these two stats, especially when it comes to directional. Contact effects how large of a “sweet spot” a player has, while vision effects how well they move that sweet spot to adjust to pitches. This is all invisible to the player. In the simplest terms, it is easier for high contact players to get solid contact while it is easier for high vision players to find contact at all (this is a GROSS oversimplification and kind of the opposite of what actually happens, but I hope it helps, I’d need diagrams and visual aids to describe this properly). No player is perfect though, so even a 99 contact 99 vision player will make weak contact on a perfectly timed pitch right in their happy zone. Ratings only effect tendencies, they are not absolutes.

Use sliders: Don’t take it as a knock against the devs (or you), but the use of sliders will solve a lot of the frustrations you may have with the interface. I use sliders, and will post them on request (though I still consider them a WIP), but I highly recommend making your own slider set. A good way to do this is to go into batting practice and pick both a batter and a pitcher you are familiar with. Make sure the pitcher isn’t MVP quality. Keep jumping in and out of batting practice using those some two players and adjusting sliders until your results meet your expectations. There are a lot of slider options, but Human Solid Hits is likely the one you want to focus on.

Always pick an influence: That’s right, every single pitch you should have an influence picked. There are benefits and costs to every influence, but the benefits almost always outweigh the costs. See details below. You must hold the stick all the way through your swing, though there is a “point of no return” as the ball comes in.

Learn your batters: Certain batters will get more of a benefit from certain swing influences than others. For example, pull hitters will get more of a benefit and less of the cost from picking a pull swing. A player’s hitting tendency can be found on their player card, but this info can sometimes be misleading, especially with switch hitters. Often, you’ll have to try different swing types for batters until you find what works best, and sometimes the situation or pitcher can change your approach (e.g. when using Buster Posey, I take a conservative balanced approach when facing righties, but an aggressive pull approach when facing lefties).
If a batter is slumping, it may be a good time to change your approach at the plate and see what it takes to bring him success.

Swing Influence

Pull Swing: This is achieved by moving the arrow inside, or towards your batter. So for a right handed batter, that would be towards left field. With a pull swing, your batter is trying to get slightly ahead of the pitch and generate power out of their core.

Pull swings will open your timing window slightly earlier. They increase power at the cost of contact, and they pull your ideal pitch location slightly to the inside. They are also slightly harder to check swing on.

Pull swings are your power hitter’s bread and butter, and should be used by them often, especially when ahead in the count.

Push Swing: This is achieved by moving the arrow outside, or away from your batter. So for a right handed batter that would be towards right field. With a push swing your batter is trying to get slightly behind the pitch to generate better contact.

Push swings will open your timing window slightly later. They increase contact at the cost of power, though they can still generate power, especially against hard throwing pitchers. They also push your ideal pitch location slightly outside, and can cause more bloops and odd fouls on pitches inside, especially when those pitches are belt level or above. They are also slightly easier to check swing on.

Push swings have a lot of uses, and can have different uses for different players. Balanced hitters can use them whenever behind, or when facing a fireballer. Push hitters want to use a push swing when ahead. Power hitters want to use a push swing when behind to work the count, gaining the benefit of that wider timing window to foul of pitches on the corners.

Up or “Scoop” swing: This is achieved by moving the arrow up. With a scoop swing, your player is trying to get under the ball to hit it up into the air, generating power out of their back, shoulders and arms.

Scoop swings add power at the cost of vision, and are good for situational hitting when trying to stay out of the double play or for adjusting to a pitcher who has a killer sinking pitch. They move your ideal pitch location slightly down (since you are trying to get under the ball) but will cause more popups and flyouts, especially on pitches high in the zone. They are also slightly harder to check swing on.

I usually avoid the scoop swing as I don’t like the loss of vision, and generally only use them for situational hitting, against good sinking pitches, or when I KNOW a pitch is going to be low. They are best used by power hitters. Leadoff or speed based batters should avoid them like the plague, though it’s still a better option than a power swing if you absolutely need a little more pop in your bat.

Down, “Attack”, or “Drive” swing: This is achieved by moving the arrow down. With a downward influence, your batter is ignoring power and “attacking” or “driving at” the ball. Bat on ball is the only goal here folks, and you’re basically foregoing all other concerns when you choose this influence.

Downward influence swings add vision at the cost of power. They are good for situational hitting, leadoff hitting, and speedy batters. They widen your ideal pitch location in all directions, but the cost to power is great. I have NEVER hit a homerun with this swing, even with guys who have got power. You’ll also get more grounders, but they are more likely to be solid grounders thanks to the increased vision. You are also less likely to hit popouts. It is also slightly easier to check swing.

This swing is ideal for speedy batters, especially when behind in the count. It’s also fantastic for situational hitting. You’ll want to avoid this swing with your power hitters, especially if they are slow, as the increased vision will produce more solid contact, and therefore more potential easy outs.

Angled or Combo swing: This is when you point the arrow at one of the corners. When you do this, you are effectively choosing both types of swings at the same time, gaining the benefits and costs of both. Effects do stack, though there does seem to be one exception. Choosing both push and down influence does not seem to stack the check swing buff, keeping it the same as if you had just one selected. However, choosing pull and up DOES seem to stack the check swing debuff.

That’s all for now. I’ll write more in this thread later about working the count, slider settings, and more advanced tips and tricks, but I think this is enough of a wall of text for the first post.

Edit: For those that are interested in learning more, there are more guides and advanced tips and tricks further into the thread as promised now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2017, 07:34 PM   #56
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrybeTyme
So have to hold the direction towards right field as the pitcher is pitching to me and hold it all the way through contact?

Does that mean I have choose which way I want to "aim" before the pitchers windup? What if he puitches inside and I am aiming right.... You cant choose which way yo to aim as the pitch is coming in? That would make 100000000X more sense since that's ACTUAL BASEBALL
You don't have to, I'm just imparting the strategy that has brought me the most success. You can set a direction as the pitch approaches, but there is a point when it is to late to adjust your swing type. I've also noticed significantly worse results when I've done this.

I think you're in a more of zone hitting mentality, where you are attempting to follow the ball. In directional, your choosing the type of swing you are going to take, it's up to the CPU batter to follow the ball. I just talk about pitch location in terms of what is ideal for the swing type. You can still get a solid pull hit on a pitch inside even if you are push swinging. Heck I've hit homeruns like this. It's just less likely to happen because your player was dropping his shoulders a bit and concentrating more on contact.

So yeah I definitely recommend choosing the swing type based on the situation, not the pitch coming in.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 05-04-2017 at 07:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »