Home

Double plays.

This is a discussion on Double plays. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Double plays.

Does anyone have any good strategies for how to not lead the league every year in GIDP? Every single time I have a runner on first with less than two outs I assume I'm going to ground into a double play. And more often than not, I am correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Double plays.

Obvious answer is avoid swinging at low pitches, but that obviously can't be avoided if you have 2 strikes or they go low consistently. I use directional hitting and will do the push up swing at times since it feasts on low pitches. You risk hitting high flyouts like that, but you can also drive some balls into the gaps if you're timing is right on and the pitch isn't perfectly located.

― Plato
Old 07-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

What canes said, but I'd go far as to say that if you can avoid swinging at low stuff until 2 strikes, you probably won't be complaining about the DP frequency anymore. If you ground into one before strike 2, you more than likely made a bad swing for the situation.

This doesn't hold true for online as much since you could easily see every pitch at the knees.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-20-2017, 10:21 PM   #4
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

What the guys above said in terms of not swinging at low pitches until you have 2 strikes.

Also, do your best to go with the pitch. In other words, if the pitch is on the outer part of the plate go the other way, middle plate drive up the middle, and inside half then pull the ball. I say this because at times, besides just pitching low in the zone, the pitcher will try to throw off speed stuff on the outer half of the plate in an attempt to get the hitter to roll over the pitch and hit a weak grounder.

And this may seem crazy, but change your mindset. Don't go into at bats with a runner on first thinking you're going to ground into a double play. Go up thinking that you are looking to drive the ball to all parts of the field.

One last thing, if you have a decent speed guy on base and a decent hitter at the plate, don't be afraid to hit and run. Get the fielders moving and maybe you can find a hole somewhere and go first to third, or if hit into the gap, first to home.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

The up influence will help prevent hitting on the ground. It won't completely eliminate it, but it will help with hitting low balls as well.

My other tactic is to resign myself to being ok with a strikeout. I've had many a strikeout looking on fastballs low when I had a runner on first and one out. Better to keep the inning going than risk it.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 07-20-2017 at 10:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

#1-don't assume you will hit into a DP.
#2- hit and run
#3- try to steal 2nd.
#4- sac bunt
#5- take more pitches
#6- see #1
Old 07-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Analyze the entire situation. What is the vision rating of the batter? If it is high, they are likely to at least make contact on a hit and run. Consider going that, even with a really slow runner if you get into a count where they need to throw a strike.

Do you use guess pitch? This is one of the rare situations that I might. The pitcher is not always looking for a double play just because there is a runner on. Keep that in mind. But, if you are on the corners and 1 out, they definitely are looking for it. In that case, I look low and to the 3rd base side of the plate and influence up. It is usually good for a SF at the least. No runner on 3rd? They will likely go soft low and in to a RHB and high and hard away to that batter. Take advantage of that.

Don't give in and swing at something that isn't middle middle or where you are specifically looking until 2 strikes.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #8
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Save mid game. If you gidp, reload game until you do not. I mean kind of the only choice sometimes I think cause I always lead the league as well lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Operation Sports mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwK...FogGcUlqoCYDTg

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »