Home

MLB The Show 17 Patch 1.11 Available Now, Patch Notes Here

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Patch 1.11 Available Now, Patch Notes Here within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:56 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 17 Patch 1.11 Available Now, Patch Notes Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Purist
Don't know if it's because I upgraded to a ps4 pro yesterday, or the patch, but hitting feels solid again. Seeing much better results, and results that actually match with the input. I'm thinking it might actually be a bit of both.

And no doubt I can imagine this game has been a challenge for slider makers regarding hitting. My stats suffered greatly bc of this in my offline franchise. After about a month, maybe two, the core gameplay elements should be set. Patches have really become a double edged sword in that regard.
This was exactly my point. Some of us don't need to play 15 games to know when something so drastically changed. It is obvious that this latest patch 1.11 changed hitting yet again and made it more realistic. And now the slider makers that adjusted their sliders for the last 3 dead ball Era patches have to readjust to acclimate with the patch updates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #42
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOscar
The way pitchers move on this game, yes he has to set his feet after picking the ball up as he has overrun it. Real life he start slowing down as he approaches the ball and sets his feet as he picks the ball up and throws the guy out by a mile. But on this game pitchers overrun the ball, they don't start slowing down until they already have it in their glove, then they have to take 3 steps to come to stop, then plant their feet, then throw the ball. That's the problem
I agree with the other guy that this does look like a normal play by the video, but having actually played the game I totally agree with you, it seems like my pitcher deliberately takes way to much time allowing the runner to be safe, and what always annoyed me more was when playing offline the cpu pitcher always threw me out with an absolute cannon of an arm no matter how fast my my runner was on very similar plays to these

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #43
MVP

Trent Booty's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
Let's tell it like it is. There are certainly people at this forum that think everything wrong with the game is user error and that the developers are infallible. Then there are people who blame the developers for world hunger. Then there are people like me, who tell it like it is. When a game has had 11 patches since its release and the developers don't include hitting and pitching slider changes in their release notes, I'd say that's more of a development issue than a user issue.
Off topic somewhat, but if that ain't the truth...company shills and haters for no real reason(both ends of the spectrum) are my biggest pet peeve.

I love this game but when people have a complaint about the game, whether it be an issue in franchise, or a game play animation that sucks, there's always the same people who will take all of the blame off the developers. Not even just on OS, although it is really apparent here.

It's okay if the game isn't perfect.... It can still be a great game.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #44
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
No disrespect intended after telling me I'm not worth my salt? And why is that? Because you're not good enough at the game to play on legend? Or perhaps because I can tell when something has changed drastically without having to play 15 games on that slider set? If no offense was intended, you would've just kept your mouth closed to begin with.

Let's tell it like it is. There are certainly people at this forum that think everything wrong with the game is user error and that the developers are infallible. Then there are people who blame the developers for world hunger. Then there are people like me, who tell it like it is. When a game has had 11 patches since its release and the developers don't include hitting and pitching slider changes in their release notes, I'd say that's more of a development issue than a user issue.

Maybe if you actually tried my sliders instead of shooting off about them, you'd see that I put extensive testing into every single change I make. Heck, there are "official" slider makers that have stopped updating their sliders entirely because of the exorbitant number of patches that have been released. No one wants to update sliders 30 times through August because the developers continue to release patches that change the way hitting sliders work every single time.

As far as I know, I never called you out specifically. While I did quote your post, didn't you say that your friend was the one with the 2 inning sample? I thought I was commenting more generally about the epidemic on OS where people are constantly making assumptions based on too little data (or none at all). If you specifically are reading a lot into that 2 inning sample, then I suppose I could see how you'd be offended. Then again, you shouldn't really be reading a lot into a 2 inning sample because you are an experienced slider maker, so...

My original point, however, is that you actually can't tell if most gameplay issues regarding stats (too high/too low) are different after playing just 2 innings. You really do need that significant sample size/data to draw any solid conclusions.

I don't see any reason to address your other points.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #45
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Booty
Off topic somewhat, but if that ain't the truth...company shills and haters for no real reason(both ends of the spectrum) are my biggest pet peeve.

I love this game but when people have a complaint about the game, whether it be an issue in franchise, or a game play animation that sucks, there's always the same people who will take all of the blame off the developers. Not even just on OS, although it is really apparent here.

It's okay if the game isn't perfect.... It can still be a great game.
You make good points. The automatic haters and automatic apologists do this site a disservice. I also think that people who make claims based on questionable (or no) data do this site a disservice, too, and that this issue often goes unmentioned. A lot of confusion comes about from that, both for OS members looking for a good answer to their issue and for the developers on deciding what needs to be fixed.

Props to the people who test things thoroughly, file bug reports, and post video/detailed scenarios to highlight the issues they are having. This is what helps make this game better than it otherwise would be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2017, 08:28 PM   #46

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
No disrespect intended after telling me I'm not worth my salt? And why is that? Because you're not good enough at the game to play on legend? Or perhaps because I can tell when something has changed drastically without having to play 15 games on that slider set? If no offense was intended, you would've just kept your mouth closed to begin with.

Maybe if you actually tried my sliders instead of shooting off about them, you'd see that I put extensive testing into every single change I make. Heck, there are "official" slider makers that have stopped updating their sliders entirely because of the exorbitant number of patches that have been released. No one wants to update sliders 30 times through August because the developers continue to release patches that change the way hitting sliders work every single time.

The bolded part is a little elitist and I'll leave it at that.

As for the patch, I played a full game and didn't see anything different then I had before. I had 1 HR with Kurt Suzuki on a changeup that hung, had a couple doubles of which one was a hustle double by Dee Gordon on a bloop down the LF line and nothing felt different then it felt yesterday when I played.

I've been pretty vocal about wanting the patches to stop tweaking things with regards to hitting as it's been rather difficult to lock in my sliders this year but I don't see any negative side effects from this patch.

Now as for the patch, I didn't really see anything different about wild pitches. If anything my catcher had a tougher time smothering them so they bounced away resulting in easy advances as opposed to before where it would trickle away giving the catcher a shot at throwing out the advancing runner only to have him loft it down there guaranteeing he'd be safe. I know it mentioned something about animations, I'd prefer they either have the catcher gun it down there or tweak the logic that governs the CPU attempting to take the extra base in the first place.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #47
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

This thread is a great example as to why it's got to be frustrating as hell as a developer to patch something as subjective as hitting.

Everyone has their own ideas as to what hitting should be like. Some are fine with it being easier to hit while others want it more difficult. Someone may strike out 10 times in a game and say hitting is too hard, while someone else may strike out 10 times a game and say that hitting is a challenge as it should be. Someone will hit 5 homeruns in a game and say that hitting is too overpowered, while another will hit 5 homeruns in a game and say its possible.

As a developer it has got to be difficult to find the "right" balance when you have so many varying opinions from those who are playing your game.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #48
MVP

Trent Booty's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
This thread is a great example as to why it's got to be frustrating as hell as a developer to patch something as subjective as hitting.

Everyone has their own ideas as to what hitting should be like. Some are fine with it being easier to hit while others want it more difficult. Someone may strike out 10 times in a game and say hitting is too hard, while someone else may strike out 10 times a game and say that hitting is a challenge as it should be. Someone will hit 5 homeruns in a game and say that hitting is too overpowered, while another will hit 5 homeruns in a game and say its possible.

As a developer it has got to be difficult to find the "right" balance when you have so many varying opinions from those who are playing your game.
Baseball is a game full of variables.

Sometimes you'll hit 5 HRs in an inning, some times you'll go a week without hitting a home run.

One game you'll smack 14 hits and score 6 runs, the next day the opposing pitcher throws a 3-hit shutout.

I do think it's bad for the game when people are getting mad due to variance in results, but I also get why people are frustrated with the multiple patches that seem to be changing the game engine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »