Home

MMA Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MMA Off-Topic within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #2521
Omaewa mou shindeiru

Haz____'s Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MMA Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S
"100% legit KO. Dude was concussed from knee, brain short circuited thinking round was over or something. Its a kill or be killed game." https://t.co/XXu7Mmxt3A

IMO it was still a cheap, unwarranted shot. I've seen people turn away in other fights, not to that degree of actually just walking away, but still turning away from some type of eye poke or injury and the opponent showed respect, and didn't just run in for an absolutely vicious KO.

I put it on the ref though too. He shoulda been in there to stop the fight and see whats going on.

People don't just walk away for no reason. As soon as he stopped defending himself the fight shoulda been stopped.

If he was concussed from the knee bad enough to forget he was even in a fight, imagine what the SAVAGE KO did to his brain right after? Guy probably just had years taken off his life.

Just an average player, with a passion for Martial Arts & Combat Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #2522
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
IMO it was still a cheap, unwarranted shot. I've seen people turn away in other fights, not to that degree of actually just walking away, but still turning away from some type of eye poke or injury and the opponent showed respect, and didn't just run in for an absolutely vicious KO.

I put it on the ref though too. He shoulda been in there to stop the fight and see whats going on.

People don't just walk away for no reason. As soon as he stopped defending himself the fight shoulda been stopped.

If he was concussed from the knee bad enough to forget he was even in a fight, imagine what the SAVAGE KO did to his brain right after? Guy probably just had years taken off his life.
I can agree. That post was just something I quoted from Twitter.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:22 AM   #2523
Banned

I write business plans for a living. The tv contracts are everything. They are what matters, they steer the whole ship. The upcoming tv contracts sales forecasts are only reason the company was sold for $4.2 billion.

This is why I hate it when the balls-deep mma media guys cry doomsday theories and talk about the ufc needing to pay bills. They forget to mention the upcoming $300+ million YEARLY payday coming up. Thats how they're gonna pay that loan.

The UFC needs to do well now so they jack up that dollar amount and their leverage in negotiations.

This is why you are seeing them try and force TJ on DJ and potentially ruin an even bigger future fight between TJ and Cody. Its why they are going after the Mayweather/McGregor fight so hard. Its why the whole Bisping/St.Pierre fiasco is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #2524
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergie51
I write business plans for a living. The tv contracts are everything. They are what matters, they steer the whole ship. The upcoming tv contracts sales forecasts are only reason the company was sold for $4.2 billion.

This is why I hate it when the balls-deep mma media guys cry doomsday theories and talk about the ufc needing to pay bills. They forget to mention the upcoming $300+ million YEARLY payday coming up. Thats how they're gonna pay that loan.

The UFC needs to do well now so they jack up that dollar amount and their leverage in negotiations.

This is why you are seeing them try and force TJ on DJ and potentially ruin an even bigger future fight between TJ and Cody. Its why they are going after the Mayweather/McGregor fight so hard. Its why the whole Bisping/St.Pierre fiasco is happening.

I work in the television industry so I know how much TV contracts mean to a sports organization. You are just somewhat wrong when it comes to the CURRENT status of the UFC.

You said that "The bulk of UFCs revenue comes from the tv contracts am I right?" and thats not true right now. The bulk of their revenue right now comes from PPV. That could change in 2 yrs when the Fox deal is up. So RIGHT NOW, a fighter isnt making the UFC any money from being on Fox.

Also, that $300m a year isnt a guarantee. ESPN isnt likely to be a bidder. I heard Turner was interested a year ago but what I read recently was that they may not be anymore. So if Fox is the only major bidder that significantly decreases the amount they will receive. They will definitely get more but that 300m may not be the total.

One last thing: If this was a Zuffa deal, they would still be going after Mayweather/Conor. Conor wants that fight and the Fertitas werent going to walk away from money like that.

Last edited by aholbert32; 06-12-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:49 AM   #2525
Banned

Look everyone that fights for the UFC during a televised event is contributing to the UFC making money. Therefore they are making them money, albeit indirectly.

My point is, the UFC acts like the only way a fighter makes money for the company is if he headlines a PPV event and that is simply not true. This is one reason UFC doesn't disclose their books.

Bottom line is when they were somewhat flying under the radar they could get away with a 80/20 split, but they cannot continue to run the sport this way after it has become so popular.

People equate being famous with being rich and assume these guys are well off, but its simply not the case. Nate freakin Diaz was making 10k and 10k before McGregor, thats just ridiculous.

Im not really arguing with you about anything, just responding. I agree with you about Zuffa would still be doing the conor/mayweather fight, but I don't believe they would be pressing DJ to fight TJ. Not because of DJ, but because of the fight between TJ and Cody that is being sacrificed. Thats a big fight, and TJs punkass should just be patient and wait a couple months. He is going to regret this whole thing and the stress he is putting his body through.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2017, 03:51 AM   #2526
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Look everyone that fights for the UFC during a televised event is contributing to the UFC making money. Therefore they are making them money, albeit indirectly.

My point is, the UFC acts like the only way a fighter makes money for the company is if he headlines a PPV event and that is simply not true. This is one reason UFC doesn't disclose their books.

Bottom line is when they were somewhat flying under the radar they could get away with a 80/20 split, but they cannot continue to run the sport this way after it has become so popular.

People equate being famous with being rich and assume these guys are well off, but its simply not the case. Nate freakin Diaz was making 10k and 10k before McGregor, thats just ridiculous.

Im not really arguing with you about anything, just responding. I agree with you about Zuffa would still be doing the conor/mayweather fight, but I don't believe they would be pressing DJ to fight TJ. Not because of DJ, but because of the fight between TJ and Cody that is being sacrificed. Thats a big fight, and TJs punkass should just be patient and wait a couple months. He is going to regret this whole thing and the stress he is putting his body through.

I don't know where you got your info, but Nate has never been 10/10. Nate also isn't famous outside of his blind followers. They both think they are more popular than they really are. You don't have people calling for them to fight.

80/20 split is too low. I think it was around 16% for fighters. With the sponsors and Reebok it is probably making them more money.

The DJ fight is a win-win for the UFC.

TJ wins, DJ isn't p4p, loses his leverage, and proves he was just fighting lesser talent.

DJ wins, TJ was affected by the weight cut, TJ doesn't lose much for the Cody fight, DJ doesn't gain much because of weight cut.

It also sets up a rematch of 2 champs if TJ wins. So it's smart by the UFC to do this.

If I was DJ I wouldn't do it unless TJ makes weight and fights 1 time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 AM   #2527
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:

No argument here. Just a good back and forth.

- Until the fighters get in a union, they are never getting a bigger cut than the 16-20% they have right now. The UFC recognizes that the only people that truly matter in combat sports are the headliners and not every headliner is a draw. The headliners who are draws arent leading the Union charge. You notice that GSP has been quiet about a union after he signed his new deal, right?

-I love DJ as a fighter. I've paid to see him fight live 3 times. One of the nicest fighters I've ever met. But we all have seen the PPV numbers. We've seen the ratings he draws. At the 3 fights Ive been to that he headlined, none of them were sellouts (and one of them had Conor McGregor on the card). So the leverage he has is limited.

- As Prushing said, wasnt making 10/10 before the Conor fight but he was making 16/16 which is arguably low. Part of that is his fault. He signed a new deal before the Henderson fight that paid him more for headlining that card but dropped his salary if he lost...which he did. He gambled on himself and he lost.

- I cant say I agree that TJ should be patient. He hasnt fought since December. Cody wont be back until the end of the year at the earliest. Asking a guy to sit out a whole year instead of taking a PPV main event isnt right.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:58 AM   #2528
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
- As Prushing said, wasnt making 10/10 before the Conor fight but he was making 16/16 which is arguably low. Part of that is his fault. He signed a new deal before the Henderson fight that paid him more for headlining that card but dropped his salary if he lost...which he did. He gambled on himself and he lost.
He lost big time as he was making over $100,000 usually. Then he gets it back by fighting Conor and now he probably won't fight again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »