Home

MMA Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MMA Off-Topic within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #49
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: OS MMA Random Thread

No more video blogs? That sucks.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:33 AM   #50
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTX3
Nope, this would be the first. I really don't think it would work though. The set up would be very odd imo.
Maybe for fenway yes, but boxing has done outside events forever, and MMA in japan has been held outside too. Pride Shockwave had like 90k people there.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #51
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
In other news, there won't be anymore UFC video blogs which sucks because I always enjoyed them.
Yeah, those things were fantastic.

That type of stuff is one of the biggest reasons I like being an MMA fan right now. The sport's getting big, but it's not too big that it's totally inaccessible. It's pretty easy to run into fighters in restaurants, hotel lobbies, weigh-ins, etc. And no other sport has its commishioner-type taking a camera around and giving a glimpse into the inner-workings of everything. This sort of accessibility won't last forever, but it's fun to enjoy while it does.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

OVR: 56

NSAC approves MMA instant replay; anti-greasing ‘BJ Penn rule’
Quote:
The Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) yesterday approved the inclusion of instant replay within the sport of mixed martial arts to better assist referees in the UFC and other organizations in determining the outcome of televised fights.

Passed on August 19, the NSAC specifically examined the relevance of instant replay as it pertains to fight-ending injuries or fouls, particularly those that may or may not have been ruled a technical knockout, like in the case of Anthony Johnson vs. Kevin Burns at UFC Fight Night 14.

The implementation of instant replay is going to be limited in its application (by design). The purpose is to preserve the integrity of a contest’s outcome rather than find faults with judgment calls.

From the commission:

“A referee at the conclusion of a contest or exhibition stopped immediately due to an injury to an unarmed combatant pursuant to NAC 467.718 and after making a decision, may view a replay if available in order to determine whether the injury in question was caused a legal blow or a foul.”

Also getting the nod from the NSAC is the “BJ Penn Rule,” enacted to prohibit any type of greasing agent or foreign substance applied to a fighter’s body that may give them an unfair advantage in competition.

Any such substance will now be categorized as a foul under the current guidelines.

The rule was unceremoniously named after Penn as a result of the hubbub that came out of UFC 94 last January. Penn was overwhelmed by Georges St. Pierre in their welterweight title fight but complained to the athletic commission following the bout that “Rush” had been slathered in Vaseline, effectively nullifying his guard.

While footage showed the GSP camp being a bit too generous with the grease, no action was taken because there was no precedent set for that type of infraction. The incident was also ruled to be unintentional and without malice but Penn’s consolation prize is written language that will penalize future fighters who grease with intent to cheat.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:13 PM   #53
MVP

God that Penn/GSP thing still annoys me. How can anyone possibly think a small amount of vaseline on the middle of GSP's back could nullify Penn's guard? On GSP's sides or his thighs, sure. But the middle of his freaking back? The only thing that could possibly help against is the rubber guard, and only if someone wants to try and slide their head out of that, but the rubber guard doesn't require a lot of friction to maintain control, and no one slides their head out of that. If GSP wanted to cheat, he really couldn't have picked a less effective way than supposedly greasing the middle of his back.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that they put some sort of rule in place against greasing. I just think it's dumb that it's been dubbed the BJ Penn rule. Unless there's a rule against whining after you lose, there shouldn't be a rule named after BJ Penn.

I do hope that they put in a rule disallowing the use of ankle tape or knee supporters as well. It seems like those would give an unfair advantage in terms of helping a person's guard by creating extra friction.

Oh, and the NSAC also passed a rule allowing five-round non-title fights for "championship-level fighters". Hopefully the other commissions get on board with that. It would have been great for a fight like Liddell/Silva to have been five rounds.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

Old 08-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #55
MVP

Quote:
In other news, there won't be anymore UFC video blogs which sucks because I always enjoyed them.
Looks like the UFC might be making the switch to having fighters do the video blogs.

Edit: Oh, Dana said as much on Twitter yesterday: "I'm not doing blogs anymore we are doing a featured fighter on fight weeks. Randy couture blog this week check youtube"

They've got two up from Couture so far this week covering Tuesday and Wednesday.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Franklin do some the week before 103.

Last edited by Wet Bandit; 08-27-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 02:16 AM   #56
Hall Of Fame

DTX3's Arena

Dana dumps on Floyd Mayweather and boxing

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »