Home

MMA Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MMA Off-Topic within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #2553
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: MMA Off-Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Conor made around 20 for his fight in November when u count the ppv percentage.

I don't get why boxing fans are so pissed with this. It's a show case fight. Who else is Floyd going to fight right now? Thurman is out until next year. No one wants a PAC man rematch. It's too early for Spence. He already beat Canelo.

Mma fans are the ones who should be pissed. Because of this sideshow, Conor won't defend the belt for a yr and may never fight in the UFC again.

With that said, it should be a great lead up to the fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly! Amen to everything you said

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #2554
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

I don't get why boxing fans are so pissed with this. It's a show case fight. Who else is Floyd going to fight right now? Thurman is out until next year. No one wants a PAC man rematch. It's too early for Spence. He already beat Canelo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm pissed because Floyd is going to break Rocky's record of 49-0 and go 50-0 which isn't enough to get me pissed on its own, but it really gets me going because of the fact that a HoF multiple-time champion is going to get to that historic and classic mark by fighting a PROFESSIONAL DEBUT non-boxer w/ barley any experience (o amateur fights, 0 pro fights). It should have been an exhibition . - which by the way, does anyone know which governing body is sanctioning this thing? How do they allow a 12 round fight - debut vs hall of famer??? it's hilarious!

btw spence is a killer and will be champ for a long long time. I think when it's all said and done he himself will be a hall of famer.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #2555
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I'm pissed because Floyd is going to break Rocky's record of 49-0 and go 50-0 which isn't enough to get me pissed on its own, but it really gets me going because of the fact that a HoF multiple-time champion is going to get to that historic and classic mark by fighting a PROFESSIONAL DEBUT non-boxer w/ barley any experience (o amateur fights, 0 pro fights). It should have been an exhibition . - which by the way, does anyone know which governing body is sanctioning this thing? How do they allow a 12 round fight - debut vs hall of famer??? it's hilarious!

btw spence is a killer and will be champ for a long long time. I think when it's all said and done he himself will be a hall of famer.
NSAC will likely sanction this. Why wouldnt this be sanctioned though? Conor isnt a boxer but he does box. Boxing is one of the disciplines he uses in his fights. ****, its the one he uses more than anything else. This isnt like taking a NCAA wrestler and throwing him in a boxing ring. Conor has been sparring and training for years and boxing is a part of that training.If the argument is that one-sided fights shouldnt be sanctioned....that means 20-30% of most boxing fights shouldnt be sanctioned.

Also who does he fight? Who makes it worth it? The Berto fight did like 400k buys. A fight against Porter, Spence, Garcia or Khan does that or lower. Floyd doesnt feel like he needs to fight Pac again because he dominated that fight. Same with Canelo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #2556
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:

Ricardo Lopez had more wins than Marciano.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #2557
All Star

allBthere's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGameGod
Ricardo Lopez had more wins than Marciano.
lopez has a draw.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #2558
All Star

allBthere's Arena

Quote:
NSAC will likely sanction this. Why wouldnt this be sanctioned though? Conor isnt a boxer but he does box. Boxing is one of the disciplines he uses in his fights. ****, its the one he uses more than anything else. This isnt like taking a NCAA wrestler and throwing him in a boxing ring. Conor has been sparring and training for years and boxing is a part of that training.If the argument is that one-sided fights shouldnt be sanctioned....that means 20-30% of most boxing fights shouldnt be sanctioned.

Also who does he fight? Who makes it worth it? The Berto fight did like 400k buys. A fight against Porter, Spence, Garcia or Khan does that or lower. Floyd doesnt feel like he needs to fight Pac again because he dominated that fight. Same with Canelo.
I'll just talk about the sanctioning stuff- I have direct experience w/ sanctioning bodies and so on. Usually (if not 100% of the time) a pro-debut HAS to fight 4 rounds. No in connor's case most of his mma fights are 15min total - championship fights 25. a 12 rounds boxing match is 36 minutes. So to me, a fighter making a debut should have a reasonable round cap - and that's not to say he can't go 12, it's that he should be treated like everyone else. Yes money makes things happen, but it shouldn't play a factor to sanctioning bodies that are aligned with the government.

I've seen pro K-1 champion kickboxers box, They didn't get to fight a champion right off the bat and/or a championship caliber fight.

When you sanction bouts you look at the caliber of skill for each guy. In this case I wouldn't sanction it at least not as a professional contest. Connor has not shown in any way he can hang in there. It's something you have to prove. There is nothing to suggest that Connor can fight at the professional level, let alone a former champion and hall of famer. The 20-30% comment I'll just leave that alone, because it's not even close to being true and doesn't really hold any weight.

I don't care who Floyd chooses to fight, I just like sanctioning bodies to be consistent. It's damaging to the integrity of the sport - I don't see how anyone could argue otherwsie. he's a pro debut without a single amateur bout and you can see him getting owned online against that south african boxer who is nowhere near floyd's level of competition - so yeah it pisses me off and justifiably so.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #2559
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
I'll just talk about the sanctioning stuff- I have direct experience w/ sanctioning bodies and so on. Usually (if not 100% of the time) a pro-debut HAS to fight 4 rounds. No in connor's case most of his mma fights are 15min total - championship fights 25. a 12 rounds boxing match is 36 minutes. So to me, a fighter making a debut should have a reasonable round cap - and that's not to say he can't go 12, it's that he should be treated like everyone else. Yes money makes things happen, but it shouldn't play a factor to sanctioning bodies that are aligned with the government.

I've seen pro K-1 champion kickboxers box, They didn't get to fight a champion right off the bat and/or a championship caliber fight.

When you sanction bouts you look at the caliber of skill for each guy. In this case I wouldn't sanction it at least not as a professional contest. Connor has not shown in any way he can hang in there. It's something you have to prove. There is nothing to suggest that Connor can fight at the professional level, let alone a former champion and hall of famer. The 20-30% comment I'll just leave that alone, because it's not even close to being true and doesn't really hold any weight.

I don't care who Floyd chooses to fight, I just like sanctioning bodies to be consistent. It's damaging to the integrity of the sport - I don't see how anyone could argue otherwsie. he's a pro debut without a single amateur bout and you can see him getting owned online against that south african boxer who is nowhere near floyd's level of competition - so yeah it pisses me off and justifiably so.
Here's my issue with your position: NSAC isnt being inconsistent.

Take Brock Lesnar for example. In Brock's first fight, he fought a kickboxer/judoka who had 13 total fights at that point. Brock's only skill at that time was he was a amateur wrestler who hadnt even done that competitively in almost a decade. He had no striking experience or training. No BJJ experience or training. CSAC still sanctioned it.

6 mos later. He signed with the UFC and fought a former UFC fighter in his first fight. At that point Mir had 7 yrs of actual in ring professional experience and probably double that when it came to training. All Brock had was 1 fight, pro wrestling experience and amateur wrestling experience from 10 yrs prior. NSAC still sanctioned the fight.

My point is what's the difference between that situation and this one? Conor has probably sparred 300 plus days a year for the last 7-8 yrs. He's used that skill set in 25 fights. Its his primary skill set.

NSAC felt comfortable putting Brock in a MMA fight (that keep in mind starts on your feet) with practically zero striking or BJJ experience and put him in the cage against a guy who both knocked out and submitted people. Why wouldnt the sanction a fight between a striker and a top-level boxer?
Old 06-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #2560
All Star

allBthere's Arena

Quote:
Here's my issue with your position: NSAC isnt being inconsistent.

Take Brock Lesnar for example. In Brock's first fight, he fought a kickboxer/judoka who had 13 total fights at that point. Brock's only skill at that time was he was a amateur wrestler who hadnt even done that competitively in almost a decade. He had no striking experience or training. No BJJ experience or training. CSAC still sanctioned it.

6 mos later. He signed with the UFC and fought a former UFC fighter in his first fight. At that point Mir had 7 yrs of actual in ring professional experience and probably double that when it came to training. All Brock had was 1 fight, pro wrestling experience and amateur wrestling experience from 10 yrs prior. NSAC still sanctioned the fight.

My point is what's the difference between that situation and this one? Conor has probably sparred 300 plus days a year for the last 7-8 yrs. He's used that skill set in 25 fights. Its his primary skill set.

NSAC felt comfortable putting Brock in a MMA fight (that keep in mind starts on your feet) with practically zero striking or BJJ experience and put him in the cage against a guy who both knocked out and submitted people. Why wouldnt the sanction a fight between a striker and a top-level boxer?
The ultimate fighting example is more open because it welcomes all martial-arts backgrounds and you can specialize or be well-rounded. It's a fight, you can stand-up or take someone down. You can fight how you choose. It's history is literally an open contest of people fighting how they choose.

In boxing, it's only the sweet science. Connor's boxing experience is simply boxing for mma. It's totally different. You don't see people training straight up boxing because they would be left vulnerable to takedowns. It's more that they learn how to punch properly and throw combinations that are effective in an mma environment. Arguably the hardest boxing skill to master is defence, which in it's specialized form would not be very useful in the octagon especially against someone who may clinch strike or take-down.

MMA is also a much newer sport where it's beginnings were literally a pure karateka vs a pure BJJ guy or pure boxer (wearing one glove) vs an olympic style wrestler. Boxing isn't like that and has never been like that, it's just boxers who box.

The other thing about the MMA example is there are always 3 rounds and 5 for a championship, in boxing it goes 4,6,8,10,12 (and 3 for amateurs). So in MMA there is nothing to take into consideration there.

Boxing has a rich history with a massive sample size and major veteran experience when it comes to looking at a match-up on paper and in person and determining if it's safe and legit. It's my belief that if MMA was more obscure or illegal in the USA or they didn't get paid or it was a very small niche sport that it would never happen. The only reason this is getting sanctioned is because of the popularity and influence of the athletes involved and the massive amounts of money involved.

Anyone who follows both sports as I know you do, knows without a shadow of a doubt that this will be a 1-sided embarrassment for CM. I think Max Kellerman has a point when he says that he thinks Connor won't even land a single punch. And all of this leads to my aggravation that Floyd gets a free W to make that new record against a guy who has never boxed. It's total BS. Why did it HAVE to count as a pro boxing fight? I'm sure they could have found a way to call it a Boxing challenge or something like that to avoid tarnishing the sport's legacy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »