Home

UFC 172 - Jones v. Glover - April 26 - Baltimore

This is a discussion on UFC 172 - Jones v. Glover - April 26 - Baltimore within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #81
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: UFC 172 - Jones v. Glover - April 26 - Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash13
It obviously needs to be a big name, since he just beat a highly-ranked Phil Davis. Glover Teixera might be a possibility depending on how long he's out, and Rashad Evans and Jimi Manuwa might be possibilities as well. Those guys are free as far as I know, but I'm not what Rashad's health situation is.
Wont happen beacuse he trains with Evans and Glover and Jimi are coming off losses. He will probably fight the winner of Bader/Feijao since he wants to take it slow and not be pushed for a title shot so quickly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #82
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
eye pokes from almost all his title fights
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/...pokes-2725963/

The showboating started around 1 minute left. I just don't like any of that in the fight. Talk after the fight, but during the fight you should be trying to finish it. Jones could have finished that fight at any point during the 4th and 5th rounds. He just never fully went for the TKO.

I dont know when you saw this. Glover was hurt but wasnt in any danger to be finished in the 4th or 5th. Glover is as tough as they come. Ive never heard someone accuse Jones of not going for a finish. Especially when he's finished over 70% of his UFC fights.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #83
MVP

OVR: 11

I'm not mad about Jone's finishing the last round the way he did. I don't think some critics realize just how much KO power Glover has in both of his hands. Even with Clover being gassed after round 3 (which I predicted he'd start getting tired), all it would take is one good solid punch to potentially knock Jones out. Who want's to get KO'ed at in the last round when you dominated for the first 4 pretty much? I'm not mad at Jones at all. It would be different if he were fighting someone that wasn't so heavy handed but dudes like Glover and Johnny Hendrix, Dan Henderson and Big Country just need one well placed punch to knock you out.

PSN = LordHveMercy08

XBL = Lord Hve Mercy

Add me now, because I don't like playing with little random 12 year olds.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:37 PM   #84
MVP

Thrash13's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Wont happen beacuse he trains with Evans and Glover and Jimi are coming off losses. He will probably fight the winner of Bader/Feijao since he wants to take it slow and not be pushed for a title shot so quickly.
Good call on Evans, but I really don't agree whatsoever on Glover and Jimi. Those guys lost to the two best LHW fighters on the planet. Either would be a step up compared to the winner of Bader/Feijao, but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #85
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

I think Rumble vs the winner of Hendo/Cormier for a title shot would be good.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #86
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
I think that if Cormier beat Hendo he done earned his title shot. Although, personally I would much rather see Cormier verus Rumble and the winner of that gets whoever wins out of Bones & Gus.
If not, then I agree with aholbert32... Bader/Feijao winner is really the only thing that makes sense for Rumble. Well, unless they pit him against someone who has lost recently (which they seem to do more now than they used to) - maybe a Glover/Shogun or even someone like Manawa or Te Huna. Any of those fights would be fun to watch.

Regarding Bones' antics, heck I dislike him as much as the next guy, but other than the "finger right in the eye" strategy I can't really fault him for anything that he did against Glover. Did he showboat... maybe a little... but it wasn't really anything to get "up in arms" about, in my opinion.

edit: just saw that Te Huna has dropped to MW and has a fight scheduled against Nate Marquardt. Forget about what I said about him

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans

Last edited by jeremym480; 04-28-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #87
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
I don't want to see that. It removes 2 fighters from contention. The LHW division will once again have no depth if Jones wins. Gus would be done for 2 years, Cormier would need 1 year to get back, Hendo probably doesn't have enough time, and Rumble would need ~1.5 years to get back.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #88
MVP

Thrash13's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I think that if Cormier beat Hendo he done earned his title shot.
I agree and don't think there's any way Cormier doesn't get a title shot with a win over Hendo. That would be a good one for sure, and I'm hoping Cormier beats Hendo to set it up.

Anthony Johnson obviously dominated Phil Davis, but he still needs to win a couple more fights before he's getting a UFC title shot. I'd rather see him face Manuwa or Glover, but it won't surprise me if he gets Bader/Feijao. You never know these days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »