Home

NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: NBA 2K17 Impressions Thread

Played a bit last night; the game is very good. Much improved in terms of feel and though the body types took a definite step back, the graphics are much better overall. This does not look like 2K16 IMO.

The crowd sounded more lively to me and the different commentary teams will definitely break some of the monotony. They still have this annoying whistle in the crowd unfortunately which has been there since 2K15.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #10
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
The magnetic pull and force field from past 2K games is gone! I think the come back cheese is gone too but not sure because i've only played on Pro. I've done plenty of things where I was like that would not have happened in 2K16. Playing defense with lock down defenders and guys with high steal rating is so fun because they will rip you! Rondo and Wade were beast on defense when I played with Chicago, the rebounding is awesome too.

My biggest issues now are slow passes at times and lack of speed to the hole, sometimes its a wide open lane to the basket (like on fast breaks) and your player is just jogging to it even when pressing turbo, not sure what the issue it maybe its something im doing wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
I only had time to play one game this morning. I don't know what the default difficulty is, but it was entirely too easy. But I kept playing it because I didn't even want to pause the game. I was seeing a ton of new animations, and the game was flat out fluid.

I played Cavs at Timberwolves (me). Kyrie was putting on a dribbling expo, stepping back for 3s and mid range jumpers, etc. I love watching him try to break me down. They were struggling, due to the difficulty level I'm sure. But the great thing was, when they were struggling, they went to LeBron to carry the load. He was deferring a lot early on, but when it started going down hill for them, he became more assertive. It was awesome. He missed a couple of jumpers, and the next 3-4 possessions, they went to him in the post. It was a great thing to see.

They came out the 2nd half (down big), and came out firing. They were doing work, led by Kyrie and Bron (finding Love and JR).

My favorite play of the game, or at least one of them, was a Kyrie missed jumper. KAT had the board all to himself, but Tristan comes soaring in and gets just his fingertips on the ball, and tips it in as he flies out of bounds. It was so fluid.

Levine demoralized LeBron, when Payne was holding LeBron down out of position. It was sick. I'll post that highlight when I get back.

Overall, initial impressions are extremely positive. I can't wait to up the difficulty, and use some strategy.

I think the default difficulty is Pro because thats what Im playing on. I think its easy because they reduced a lot of the cpu cheap cheese and comeback cheese and now they just let things play out more naturally. I remember in 2K16 I use to get beat on Pro difficulty quite often, this year I'm blowing out the cpu on Pro on day one gonna up the difficulty later today.

Last edited by Americas Team; 09-16-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #11
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

Standout things in NBA 2K17...

1) Courts,players and jerseys really have a NBA LIVE 16 FIDELITY to them. Colors pop,skin tones and sweat look great. Anti aliasing is good and overall lighting overhauls are welcome and really make the game look better. IF anyone enjoyed NBA LIVE 16 because the graphics on court just felt more realistic then you'll know what I'm trying to say.

2)Classic team player models and faces are MUCH better looking in NBA 2k17.

3)Soundtrack has 3 Grimes songs on itAWESOME. I somehow like Puff Daddy again now knowing he was responsible that...

4)Added animations for when players don't have the ball. I saw LeBron do a lot of real life gestures.

5)Jeremy Lins spiky mess of a haircut is in game and it caused a charging foul. THAT'S REALISTIC.

6)VERY cool animations added leading to better looking passing.

7)Menus are fast and clear.

8)Blacktop mode is lackluster. Missed opportunity to just give us Rucker etc finally. Can't use NBA jerseys and all games in blacktop mode are at night.

9)Still no way to upload sliders to the community.

10) No headbands able to be given to say players like A.I.

11) Though a 15 dollar add on. You can make the game into somewhat of a college game. I just wonder can you edit the college teams etc...

12)LeBron James body model. Just bad. They must not like the guy as he does NOT look like himself on court. I had to adjust his shoulder width and torso but it didn't help much. Win a championship for Cleveland and still no respect. Everyone else on Cleveland though? Real decent...strange.

13)base shot animations are just wonky. Meaning to many time they stutter off and don't go up and down normally instead they're way too off balance. It's fixable via roster but that a TON of work to do.

14)TD Bank licensing for Celtic still not in...

15)Tons and tons of different game intros. Love everything minus Aldrich. Feels tacked on.

That's my impression so far.

Compared to last year's game? WAY BETTER
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
Rookie

BigDaneAyMane's Arena

OVR: 1

This is admittedly the worst impression of all-time as I got up early to play a little MyCareer before work and only was able to get through the first half of game one against the Pelicans before I had to go.

I made a 6'7 SF Lockdown Defender, was drafted by the Nuggets and played on Superstar and could immediately feel the difference in gameplay for MyCareer. It was much faster paced, but did not feel frantic or rushed. There were more shots on both sides earlier in the shot clock which felt different than last year to me.

Also, my team was knocking down shots at a reasonable percentage as I earned 3 assists by half and it didn't feel (again admittedly very early) like I am going to have to force the offense and score 25 a game to have any chance.

The flow of the offense was nice too. Loved the ball movement and overall movement of the players. It feels like I could possibly finally enjoy playing MyCareer offline against the A.I. this year as opposed to it feeling like a grind just to get my player better for Park/Pro-Am.

All the little subtle additions with texting, practice was cool too.

Two minor gripes:

It did take a little too long to actually get to my first game. All the little things are cool, but I hope it doesn't take as long to go from game-to-game.

Also, the animation where once you pick practice/event/game and have to wait to walk to the door to your court to leave from wherever you are standing THEN go to a loading screen is annoying and takes too much time. It feels completely unnecessary and will waste a lot of time over the course of playing this the next year.

Loving the game though!
Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #13
Chi Til I Die.

BChizzle's Arena

OVR: 2

Love how when you put a hand in the CPU AI's face, they don't just force a bad shot anymore. They pass it midair to the open man. Awesome
Old 09-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #14
Formerly known as Barnsey

Barncore's Arena

OVR: 1

Initial reactions. (will go more in depth later):

- Shooting animations look awesome. They're quicker, and super smooth.

- Rebounding looks better. It feels good to rebound with elite rebounders

- Editing staff is cool.

-Soundtrack is trash.

-Menus are real nice.

-Ball movement is awesome. You can execute faster.

-There's still some way to go to make it look like a real life broadcast. The animations are great but there's something about it that doesn't look real. I feel like they need to put a filter over everything to make it look like a real live broadcast. Maybe something to blur things a little bit? Or round the edges? Or to add slight trails to the movements? It still looks like a videogame. Would prefer that cinematic look.

-The shot stick thing is pretty easy to get the hang of. Just push down and release at the right time, pretty easy once you get a feel for it. The releases are quicker this year. The dribbling controls have a steeper learning curve though. At least for me.

- Stealing is cool. Sometimes you knock the ball loose but they get it back. I like that.

-Things feel nicely balanced in regards to fouls vs non-fouls, charge vs block, and contested shot miss vs open shot. ambitious 3pt gunners vs guys who just shoot when they're open. It's good. Everything feels in balance, at least at a first glance.

-It's cool how big athletic guys can jump over people to dunk. Adds a beastly element.

-Defending feels better. I feel like i can control my players. I feel like the results of my defense (for better or worse) are justified. Contesting shots feels realistic.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #15
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kSupremeonYoutube
What do you mean by this ?
So...apparently. you can buy play now all time college teams. there are individual teams and then a bundle that has all of them.

for ex: they have Georgetown all time college classic team. which prob is a team playing in the Georgetown court graphics and then has every famous GT player I'm assuming?

havent seen a YT vid that would suggest otherwise...

BUT if true and it works that way. we literally have a way to "kinda" play nba 2k17 as a throwback NCAA 2k8 almost
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #16
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OH! I almost forgot.

The camera angles.

They've zoomed out a little bit more on the Broadcast cam and Im ALL fot it...

PLUS Winners Win cam is "kinda........................." awesome too.

Oh and the intro with the stdium projection are just cool.

no more cheerleaders i saw though but who cares. Video game cheerleaders need better texture work anyways, Aldrich though. Cant skip him fast enough ....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »