Home

NBA 2K17 Defensive Settings Community Wiki

This is a discussion on NBA 2K17 Defensive Settings Community Wiki within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K17 Defensive Settings Community Wiki

If Curry is the screener and I want Curry's defender to stay attached, do I set this under Curry's individual settings screen and under the Hedge (Center) option? Does Center really mean (Screener)?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #42
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinthc0003
Breakdown from OG's stream

Defensive Team Packages
  • Junk: Show 2-3 or 3-2 Zone initially (dependent on team), and switch to man after the first pass.
  • Shrink The Floor: Off-Ball will gap, Go Under and Hard Hedge on screens
  • Straight Up: Moderate On-Ball and Off-Ball across the board, Help will still come
  • Stay Home: No Help
  • Focus on Stars: High pressure on stars and doubling
  • Switch Everything: Switch all screens

Defensive "Focus On" Packages
  • Boxes and Elbows: A man to man concept (can look like a zone when ran) where the player it is selected for will have his man guarding him and the other 4 defenders on the two elbows and just outside the paint on either side of the rim. You are giving up shots to get the ball out of the selected player's hands.
  • Give it Up: Smothering on Ball, Go Over on screens, Double on Ball Screens, Double on drive, No Double on catch

The Defensive Settings (in the Gameplan menu) will override everything else!

Tag on Roll
Used for heavy rim runners (Deandre, young Dwight). He explained that this is used on wing pick and rolls in combination with Icing the pick and roll. The tag man (weak side wing defender in his example) comes from the weak side onto the nail to impede the path of the roller. You are giving up a skip pass from the tag man's original assignment to stop the roll man.

Catch Hedge
This option is based off of the NBA concept called "Weak Up Top". The hedge man is responsible for preventing a straight line drive from the ball handler, while also being responsible for not letting the roll man get behind him. Help defense will not come when this is selected.

Suggests staying away from hard hedge if at all possible. It was made more extreme this year.

Help Settings
The Screen Help setting pertains to pick and rolls, while the Help Rules setting pertains to drives.

"Help and No Rotation" means the help the helper concept is not there.
"Auto" can be thought of as "Help and Rotation". Help the helper concept is there.
"No Help" means no help will come on the roll man.

Pre-rotate is confirmed to do what we have in the OP right now (bring an extra defender over when there is an iso on the wing). No news on if we can select the help man with the settings in any way.
Seems like they made a mistake with the labeling of the screen help. If Help and No Rotation means the help concept isnt there, then why have No Help. Per definition they do the same thing. Seems like what we would want is for No Help to function like Help and No Rotation. Help and No Rotation should provide a little help and go back to your specific man without cause the defenders to rotate.

Correction***

Auto would be both Help on the Roll Man and and Help of the initial Helper.
Help and No Rotation would bring Help if that defender was like first responsible to the roll man, which should mostly be a big, but there could be examples like in 4 out 1 in where that could be your shooting guard as first responsible. To be used on like an above average shooter from 3 like Jimmy Butler.
No Help - Is exactly that. To be used on like Thompson or Reddick.

This is my understanding after listening to the interview.

Last edited by willo1822; 10-02-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: I listened to the full interview.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #43
Rookie

Will tag on roll work if I dont ICE the PNR.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #44
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo1822
Will tag on roll work if I dont ICE the PNR.
Scott implied the answer to this is yes. But it creates all sorts of problems if they drive middle.

So he's saying 90% of the time this is used, its in tandem with ICE.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #45
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

One thing I can't figure out. Whenever I ICE the pick and roll, my big hugs up on their screener. He's supposed to drop back but never does.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #46
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

This is the weirdest thing. Im in practise plays and none of the settings work. I set no hedge and they blitz the ball handler. I set double and my big stays attached to the screener.

Last edited by Smirkin Dirk; 10-02-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #47
MVP

LorenzoDC's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinthc0003
Breakdown from OG's stream

Defensive Team Packages
  • Junk: Show 2-3 or 3-2 Zone initially (dependent on team), and switch to man after the first pass.
  • Shrink The Floor: Off-Ball will gap, Go Under and Hard Hedge on screens
  • Straight Up: Moderate On-Ball and Off-Ball across the board, Help will still come
  • Stay Home: No Help
  • Focus on Stars: High pressure on stars and doubling
  • Switch Everything: Switch all screens

Defensive "Focus On" Packages
  • Boxes and Elbows: A man to man concept (can look like a zone when ran) where the player it is selected for will have his man guarding him and the other 4 defenders on the two elbows and just outside the paint on either side of the rim. You are giving up shots to get the ball out of the selected player's hands.
  • Give it Up: Smothering on Ball, Go Over on screens, Double on Ball Screens, Double on drive, No Double on catch

The Defensive Settings (in the Gameplan menu) will override everything else!

Tag on Roll
Used for heavy rim runners (Deandre, young Dwight). He explained that this is used on wing pick and rolls in combination with Icing the pick and roll. The tag man (weak side wing defender in his example) comes from the weak side onto the nail to impede the path of the roller. You are giving up a skip pass from the tag man's original assignment to stop the roll man.

Catch Hedge
This option is based off of the NBA concept called "Weak Up Top". The hedge man is responsible for preventing a straight line drive from the ball handler, while also being responsible for not letting the roll man get behind him. Help defense will not come when this is selected.

Suggests staying away from hard hedge if at all possible. It was made more extreme this year.

Help Settings
The Screen Help setting pertains to pick and rolls, while the Help Rules setting pertains to drives.

"Help and No Rotation" means the help the helper concept is not there.
"Auto" can be thought of as "Help and Rotation". Help the helper concept is there.
"No Help" means no help will come on the roll man.

Pre-rotate is confirmed to do what we have in the OP right now (bring an extra defender over when there is an iso on the wing). No news on if we can select the help man with the settings in any way.
If Shrink the Floor gives you hard hedges then it should basically never be used this year, since hard hedge is so screwed up.

I've been doing some Shrotriya no the Floor to try to slow down ppiintd in paint without success, and now I know why.

I guess I'll have to make some individual adjustments to get more paint help instead.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:01 AM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo1822
Seems like they made a mistake with the labeling of the screen help. If Help and No Rotation means the help concept isnt there, then why have No Help. Per definition they do the same thing. Seems like what we would want is for No Help to function like Help and No Rotation. Help and No Rotation should provide a little help and go back to your specific man without cause the defenders to rotate.

Correction***

Auto would be both Help on the Roll Man and and Help of the initial Helper.
Help and No Rotation would bring Help if that defender was like first responsible to the roll man, which should mostly be a big, but there could be examples like in 4 out 1 in where that could be your shooting guard as first responsible. To be used on like an above average shooter from 3 like Jimmy Butler.
No Help - Is exactly that. To be used on like Thompson or Reddick.

This is my understanding after listening to the interview.
Yeah, I'm also a little confused about it as well. I was just trying to type out what he said in the stream.

He says that the Screen Help settings are "for the roll man". When he says that, it makes me think that setting will only be in effect when that player is the screener in a Pick and Roll. For example, if I have the "No Help" setting selected for Curry then this setting will cause no one to help if Curry is ever the screener in a pick and roll and he runs to the rim (this is my understanding at least).

I asked a question at some point in the stream if Help and No Rotation is the setting we want to use for shooters. He said yes, but I'm not sure if he understood exactly what I was asking. It's hard to ask a detailed question in the twitch chat.

I wish we had a "Help Off Of" option.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »