Home

Defense needs to be the MAIN focus of development in NBA2K18

This is a discussion on Defense needs to be the MAIN focus of development in NBA2K18 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #33
Rookie

youngprince41's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Defense needs to be the MAIN focus of development in NBA2K18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leasim96
The main problem with defense this year IMO is >Defense speed is slower than Offense aspects<.

Especially for the user / users team - there's so much sluggishness compared to offense is ridiculous - as an offensive guy you can cut / move without the ball way faster than the defense because they just don't react/move as fast as you do.

There's so much "quick sand" movement on defense - even with high lateral / defensive stats - ESPECIALLY online - the defensive speed vs offense is very unbalanced.

Things like speedboosting makes things way worse too.
Agreed! And not even just slow movement kills it for me but when your not moving your player at all on defense under the basket and it moves your player out the way randomly or even the forced fouls when not one button was clicked on defense. I thought maybe it was just because I was holding L2 but I ran a test on that and still caught fouls. It makes no sense, no need to promote "stick skills matter" now if the computer is controlling what I do.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #34
Pro

Just look at all the threads, This needs to be fixed for 2k18.

The only thing I feel 2k did right defensively was the right stick swiping (Can be improved and be much better, but it's a start). I'd rather know my guy is using his left or right hand to swipe then blindly tap square and risk poking his eye.

It needs to be obvious when someone's a good defender, and a Liability should be a liability. If someone is not in position to make a play defensively, they simply should NOT make the play. A 2 man animation should not trigger unless 2 players are close enough for it to be logical.

Instead of adding 10000+ animations of park celebration animations, add 10000+ defensive animations. There should be multiple different defensive reaction animations for single offensive animations. EXAMPLE: If I am Using Shaq, and I go up for a layup and the defender does that 'Shove' foul animation, I should NOT fall if the defender is Steve Nash.

Why is the same animation made for a 7 footer being used for someone that's 6 feet tall? Differentiate between the players 2k please. If a defender is strong they should be using their body to keep me infront of them, If they are quick they should use their quickness. Bring different defensive stances. Patrick Beverly bends and the hips so he can lunge and steal, a player like Terry Rozier uses the normal stance, Robin Lopez wouldn't know how to stand at the perimeter.

A major reason the defense is trash is because they can't get footplanting, and weight and strength right.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:14 PM   #35
Rookie

To piggyback on what youre saying, I'd also love if 2k got the difference between when a little guy is under the rim and when a big guy is under the rim. No little guy should severely alter how a big man finishes at the rim if that defender gets caught under the basket. Too many times i see bigs get pushed aside by little guys or get outrebounded by someone way smaller than them. Im all for it once in a blue moon but big men not being big men or having smaller guys affect their shot is ridiculous. That auto steal/Steal button is overpowering while posting up as a big. Im all for for trying to deny a big in the post, but give respect where respect is due. If someone works on a slow *** center and the one thing tbey do well is operate in the post, the least 2k can do is let them thrive in the paint and not let anyone just spam the steal button to make them feel pointless on the court.
Post control should have more of an effect on that aspecr because if you have a high post control, you should be able
to feel free to enter the post and do work without fear of some unskilled defender coming in and poking the ball loose for a cheesy steal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #36
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakstarter
To piggyback on what youre saying, I'd also love if 2k got the difference between when a little guy is under the rim and when a big guy is under the rim. No little guy should severely alter how a big man finishes at the rim
Exactly I have countless saved videos of pure 2k nonsense pertaining to exactly what you just said, like Rudy Gobert with his Elbows at the rim missing a layup because TJ McConnell is stronger than him apparently type stuff.

As a fan of Ben Wallace, this game is atrocious defensively.
As a fan of basketball, this game is atrocious defensively.

But hey 'My Park Swag 50% off this weekend' right? C'mon 2k.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:23 AM   #37
Rookie

youngprince41's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixEverything2k
Exactly I have countless saved videos of pure 2k nonsense pertaining to exactly what you just said, like Rudy Gobert with his Elbows at the rim missing a layup because TJ McConnell is stronger than him apparently type stuff.

As a fan of Ben Wallace, this game is atrocious defensively.
As a fan of basketball, this game is atrocious defensively.

But hey 'My Park Swag 50% off this weekend' right? C'mon 2k.
Absolutely agree!! That "My Park Swag 50% off this weekend" line has me dying laughing lol but sadly its true. I feel like they need to focus more on the gameplay mechanics then VC sales. When the game becomes close to flawless (I say close to flawless because I know flawless is impossible) I'm positive that sales would sky rocket. Make a good foundation and build on it 2K. You can't build on a unstable foundation. That's why these game modes that are absolutely good ideas become frustrating because we can't fully enjoy them with these bad game mechanics. I have not once been able to say while playing 2K that "that was a fair game" whether I win or lose. I have plenty of times where I might do something in the game and I have to tell myself "I should of never made that or that pass should of never gotten through". We want control over our players!!! I want to actually PLAY 2K! I don't want the computer playing for me.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:13 AM   #38
Rookie

ZBoo50's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Easy I don't care about ONLINE. If I wanted to talk online I would venture to a thread about online on which I won't because online to me is a cancerous place to play. NBA2k is the only game that makes my blood boil when playing and no other game does that. So yeah gameplay will always be what I want fixed. Especially if it's about DEFENSE.

I'm done talking online.
One of the worst posts I have seen in this forum. You dont care about online but this doesnt mean it shouldn't be talking here! How selfish and you are not even the starter of this topic. Forget about all ; you can simply change sliders offline to whatever you like. but you CAN NOT change it online.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #39
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Just doesn't feel like basketball. Barely feels like a sport lol. Like I'm playing some kind of super hero game but with basketballs. They did too much with the HOF badges . And the defense is very underprivileged.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 03-13-2017, 03:47 PM   #40
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Just doesn't feel like basketball. Barely feels like a sport lol.
FACTS

This game feels like it was made by people who don't watch basketball. They look at highlights and make the game around them, I'm convinced. Example: Curry has record breaking 3 point season, so in the following games we see Big men doing Curry jumpshot landings with the crouch and lunge and run off and stepback 3s and HOF badges (Really made to seperate his shooting from others), Before that we had LeBron being LeBron, and Blake Griffin Dunking on everyone, so 2k13 they focused soo much on driving to the basket they forgot to allow us to BLOCK DUNKS.

We couldn't BLOCK DUNKS in 2k13. If there was a whole year of straight defensive highlights from players around the league and a record breaking block or steal season guarantee they focus on defense. I don't want to wait until Giannis Antent(etc.) to be in his prime averaging 2.5 blocks and 2.5 steals for them to work on defense.

We need people who love the whole sport, who play the sport, to do this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »