Home

Rubberbanding

This is a discussion on Rubberbanding within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Rubberbanding

Is this a real effect coded in? They tout this game as an esport but you would have to be insane to play this game online for money. I am a college basketball coach and a lifetime competitive gamer. With that being said I always want this game to be the game I can play for money as I have a large knowledge base for the sport. However I play game after game, where usually I spread it out and play off the high pick and roll, or run some quick downscreen action to get shooters free. Playing off these couple sets I will get clear lanes and wide open shots on at least 75% of my possessions while striving to keep my turnovers low. Conversely my opponent usually seems to have no idea of proper basketball action and will never run anything to generate open looks in a basketball sense. What they will do though, is dribble all the way around one side and back to the other waiting for some animation to suck a defensive player in or sliding by defender occasionally if your playing on ball. They will also get a ton of points after I score because my players just do not want to run back and pick up properly. Many times if you are controlling a guard your center will not get back giving up a free dunk and if your controlling a big to prevent that your point guard will just be off to the side some where not even picking up the handler. Since everyone picks the Dubs it is a nightmare to deal with. So there are all those free points. If this were it, it would still be manageable. However I feel there is also this rubberbanding effect where if my opponent misses several shots in a row, usually because I am playing good D and getting contests, i will miss a couple no matter how open the look is. Or if I have scored a few possessions in a row my opponent will suddenly make a couple of atrocious shots and or get foul shots for just pushing buttons. As a competitor it becomes infuriating at times and I have had to stop playing PNO even with a great winning percentage. It seems that so many game become life or death unfairly when one player is playing great basketball while the opponent is just putting up junk or trying to exploit. Do others share this experience or am I attributing other game mechanics to the perceived effect?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Re: Rubberbanding

Yea lol the games broken
Old 06-15-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
Rubberbanding

Yeah it's very frustrating. They definitely gotta clean up the game so it can respect and recognize the more skilled players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 06-15-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #4
MVP

bateman11's Arena

OVR: 14

Always been my biggest game killer. It's a legacy issue and sticks out even more now that we have improved technology. The game simply doesn't reward those who play the game the way it's played in real life. But they'd make less $$$ if they did. Welcome to the future lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
Rookie

PLaying out of region players in park is also a massive problem. Delayed by a massive amount not able to do anything
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Well the developers have said countless times there is no rubberbanding effect in the game. They always say there'd be no point adding something like that into the game. Some on this forum stick by it no matter what is said. It's all perspective, but I personally don't think it's in the game.

Is the game fundamentally flawed? Yeah, for sure, the devs had admitted as much and aren't too happy with their performance this year. Rubberbanding AI, though? Eh.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
Pro

I agree with Gosen6 about the rubberbanding. I personally don't think it is in the game. Players make shots, teams go on runs, and defenses break down. It cam be frustrating but it is definitely a part of basketball.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 AM   #8
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I think the the hot /cold streaks are a little overdone. Some shots are broken. Fouls are random. Loose balls go to the offense most of the time. A lot of bad shots go in . Sliding out of defensive positions on lead passes.

But I don't think rubber banding is in the game .
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »