Home

Not enough sim free throw attempts

This is a discussion on Not enough sim free throw attempts within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #1
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

OVR: 0
Not enough sim free throw attempts

Guys like westbrook and harden averaged over 10 free throw attempts per game this season but during sim, they don't get anywhere close to this. The highest i've ever seen either of them average is 6.7 a game during sim. They both already have 97 and 98 draw foul attributes so I don't know what else I can do to fix this

Does anyone else know?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

Re: Not enough sim free throw attempts

Every attribute and tendency effect other attribute and tendencies and those work in tandem with the sliders.

Think of it like this. What good would be having the 3pt slider set from 50 to 60, if it means 06 Shaq now will pull up for 3's? At the same time now Kevin Durant now throws one up from 25 ft every single time he brings the ball up court.

Shaq's tendency to shoot the 3 isn't that high... but he will now shoot it more because the slider told him to, as for KD35's tendency is high, now he almost always goes for that shot as soon as he gets the chance.

Same thing with fouls. "Draw Foul" attribute is high at 97-98. That's a good start. Shooting Foul slider at 98-100 would be a good start.

But neither of which are going to REALLY have too much of an effect if you're playing against a defender who's "Foul Tendency" is in the 40's/50's. Think Roy Hibbert's "Verticality Rule" against LeBron James. LeBron has a high ability to draw the foul, the refs have a tendency to blow the whistle in favor of a star player, but Roy Hibbert doesn't often pick up fouls at the rim.

Same goes with "Go for On Ball Steal" slider, or Steal tendency, Blocking Foul slider, Charge Slider, Shot Contest Slider(if this slider is low, they defenders aren't going to contest shots, meaning you're not going to get touched; however this MIGHT lead to more blocks, if raised too high)... the more TEAM fouls will rack up if your players have a high Draw Foul attribute... and these tendencies and sliders are increased, leading to more Free Throws, and not just the Shooting Foul kind, but the "In the penalty/Bonus" kind (Plus if you get Kawhi Leonard in foul trouble, your strategy changes )

You can't swipe for the ball if the slider for Reach-In Foul is high, and your Foul Tendency is high... if the player you're defending has a high Draw Foul attribute.... that will be a whistle much more often than just with a vanilla roster/slider set.

Does that make sense? One thing effects another. Plain and simple, if your reach-in foul slider is high, and the steal tendency for that specific player is low, and the on-ball steal slider is low, the player isn't going to reach-in anyways, so that foul won't be called too often anyways even if your Draw Foul attribute is in the high 90's. The defender just isn't going for it because he's not being told to.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:25 PM   #3
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodMuzik
Every attribute and tendency effect other attribute and tendencies and those work in tandem with the sliders.

Think of it like this. What good would be having the 3pt slider set from 50 to 60, if it means 06 Shaq now will pull up for 3's? At the same time now Kevin Durant now throws one up from 25 ft every single time he brings the ball up court.

Shaq's tendency to shoot the 3 isn't that high... but he will now shoot it more because the slider told him to, as for KD35's tendency is high, now he almost always goes for that shot as soon as he gets the chance.

Same thing with fouls. "Draw Foul" attribute is high at 97-98. That's a good start. Shooting Foul slider at 98-100 would be a good start.

But neither of which are going to REALLY have too much of an effect if you're playing against a defender who's "Foul Tendency" is in the 40's/50's. Think Roy Hibbert's "Verticality Rule" against LeBron James. LeBron has a high ability to draw the foul, the refs have a tendency to blow the whistle in favor of a star player, but Roy Hibbert doesn't often pick up fouls at the rim.

Same goes with "Go for On Ball Steal" slider, or Steal tendency, Blocking Foul slider, Charge Slider, Shot Contest Slider(if this slider is low, they defenders aren't going to contest shots, meaning you're not going to get touched; however this MIGHT lead to more blocks, if raised too high)... the more TEAM fouls will rack up if your players have a high Draw Foul attribute... and these tendencies and sliders are increased, leading to more Free Throws, and not just the Shooting Foul kind, but the "In the penalty/Bonus" kind (Plus if you get Kawhi Leonard in foul trouble, your strategy changes )

You can't swipe for the ball if the slider for Reach-In Foul is high, and your Foul Tendency is high... if the player you're defending has a high Draw Foul attribute.... that will be a whistle much more often than just with a vanilla roster/slider set.

Does that make sense? One thing effects another. Plain and simple, if your reach-in foul slider is high, and the steal tendency for that specific player is low, and the on-ball steal slider is low, the player isn't going to reach-in anyways, so that foul won't be called too often anyways even if your Draw Foul attribute is in the high 90's. The defender just isn't going for it because he's not being told to.
The problem for me hasn't been getting fouls during the game, it's been getting the fouls during simulation. If a player like harden or westbrook is playing against me, he usually gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 fta a game.

But when I'm not playing, and i'm simulating in MyLeague, they very rarely average over 7. I bumped their draw foul attribute to 99 and have tried pretty much everything that i would think to affect their free throw attempts in simulation.

Something else I noticed is that the way teams get their points during simulation in MyLeague is all out of whack. Most teams average less than 40 Points in the Paint per game when most teams in the nba average over 50. On the other hand, I have teams averageing less than 15 three pointers a game which would never happen in today's NBA.

Also, another thing I see a lot is there's a lot of drastic stats when it comes to shooting numbers when you're simming games. Marcus Smart (a career 29.1% three point shooter) has shot over 40% from the three point line multiple times during a season which is just crazy especially since he only has like a 72 open three.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #4
Pro

Been like this for years
Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Yea, free throw attempts in sim stats has been a problem for guys like Harden, Cousins, etc. for several years. Part of the problem is the lack of points in the paint and the overabundance of midrange shots (which I've just recently made huge strides towards fixing in my ratings).

The Harden situation is...tricky. What he's been doing this past season is basically an anomaly. He's been getting never-before-seen amounts of three point fouls. In fact, he's been getting more of them individually than any other *team* in the league. (Source link) There's already been preliminary talk about the league adopting rule changes for 3-point fouls because of Harden similar to the ones made for Durant a couple years ago when he used to abuse a pump fake/swing arm motion. It's been tough to capture it in 2K, and just recently became a thing this season, so I'd give them a little leeway.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2017, 09:56 PM   #6
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMage
Yea, free throw attempts in sim stats has been a problem for guys like Harden, Cousins, etc. for several years. Part of the problem is the lack of points in the paint and the overabundance of midrange shots (which I've just recently made huge strides towards fixing in my ratings).

The Harden situation is...tricky. What he's been doing this past season is basically an anomaly. He's been getting never-before-seen amounts of three point fouls. In fact, he's been getting more of them individually than any other *team* in the league. (Source link) There's already been preliminary talk about the league adopting rule changes for 3-point fouls because of Harden similar to the ones made for Durant a couple years ago when he used to abuse a pump fake/swing arm motion. It's been tough to capture it in 2K, and just recently became a thing this season, so I'd give them a little leeway.
That actually brings up another good point. I came up with a formula to fix simulations points in the paint and three pointers so that players don't take so many "mid range" and "close" shots during sim. However, since players are taking so many more layups, team field goal percentages now skyrocket into the low 50s. Did you experience this as well? I'm gonna try and pretty much just lower every players layup attributes by 5-6 points and see how that works out
Old 06-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #7
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
That actually brings up another good point. I came up with a formula to fix simulations points in the paint and three pointers so that players don't take so many "mid range" and "close" shots during sim. However, since players are taking so many more layups, team field goal percentages now skyrocket into the low 50s. Did you experience this as well? I'm gonna try and pretty much just lower every players layup attributes by 5-6 points and see how that works out
Nope, my percentages are within .5% of the real-life totals for each team. The trick is getting the close shot % right. You can tell by what 2K set as their red-blue scale in the shot chart that they have no idea what percentage NBA players actually shoot from that distance (hint: its equal to or worse than midrange for many players); most players are in blue to a grayish red at most when you look on their scale using the correct ratings. I went through rigorous tests on every single value of that attribute one by one to find out exactly what percentage each value maps to in sim, from 25 to 99 just to get it perfect. Like many of their scales, it's not exactly linear.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 06-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
Pro

Don't you think it's a problem when the community has to go and spends weeks editing for the sim stats to work properly?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »