Home

NBA 2K18 Screenshots and Ratings - Towns, Giannis, Beal, Ross and More

This is a discussion on NBA 2K18 Screenshots and Ratings - Towns, Giannis, Beal, Ross and More within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:04 PM   #57
Rookie

renome's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K18 Screenshots & Ratings - Towns, Beal, Ross & More

I agree with most of the comments here, especially about muscle definition... really curious about the scanning process they've highlighted in the art video... if they can scan the face and capture individual, signature expressions, and they say they did body scans, why can't musculature be captured with the same integrity? I mean, if you can capture Kyrie's smirk/scrunch face, how can you not capture muscle definition at rest/in movement?

Sent from my SM-A910F using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #58
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

Sean Kilpatrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeanKilpatrick_2017-Aug-10.jpg (65.8 KB, 307 views)
Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #59
Rookie

ifeanyi18's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Sean Kilpatrick
Who i've been waiting for.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #60
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBreed1
Players models do look MUCH better than last year, but they still have a little ways to go with getting player bodies to look more accurate to their real life counterparts.Many guys need to have more muscle definition.

I'm not seeing much of a difference in all these bodies we've seen so far.
Spoiler

I wanna see more legs tho. I wanna see some long, lanky legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
It all looks seriously good. But anyone wonder when we're gonna see players with ripped physiques look...ripped? Like guys with muscles that look like this:
Spoiler
Muscle definition:

Google image search vs TV broadcast and players in motion makes a major difference

This will be my first time speaking about muscle definition. I keep hearing about guys needing to look more ripped. Understandable, but at the same time, here's the thing ...

2k is looking to create a TV broadcast look. Even for players that are extremely muscular defined, the muscle cut aren't as extremely defined when players are in motion and watching broadcast NBA televised games.

You can't really use "google image search" when it comes to muscle definition as a blueprint because camera flash or photos taken with high definition camera captures a different aesthetic flavor. You need to use real NBA footage where the players are actually in motion. This is why player models in NBA2k14 wasn't as accurate as people say they were, and also in NBA Live overall where everyone is built extremely muscular. Everyone in 2k14 was built with extreme muscle cuts. That's not normal with real NBA footage.

What 2k is famous for is players in motion. They look realistic and they move realistic. Adding intense muscle definition could jeopardize this aspect. Just a guess.

Just the same as pre-workout and post-workout body image. Immediately after lifting weights, your muscles tend to be incredibly defined, you look your best immediately after a workout. You look ripped. As the hours go by, you begin to look "softer." You may still be cut if you're already cut and conditioned well, but you're not going to look as muscular defined. A lot of fitness photoshoot may have the person do some push, pullup or whatever just prior to shooting to give a more muscular cut/lean look.

What 2k or other games will need is an animation system that simulates a muscle flexed state (partial, intense, heavy, etc.) vs their unflexed natural state. I don't want to see extreme muscle cuts when the majority of the time, the athletes' muscle isn't in the extreme flexed state. More often than not even when flexed and moving, their muscles are on the softer side, and I think 2k does a very good job with it.

I personally want to experience and see what I would see on TV, not what I would see on google image.

Click on spoiler tag for more real live NBA broadcast footage showing players' muscle definition don't match that of google image search. Muscle definition during live broadcast is much more subtle.

Spoiler

Example 3
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-10-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #61
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Muscle definition:

Google image search vs TV broadcast and players in motion makes a major difference

This will be my first time speaking about muscle definition. I keep hearing about guys needing to look more ripped. Understandable, but at the same time, here's the thing ...

2k is looking to create a TV broadcast look. Even for players that are extremely muscular defined, the muscle cut aren't as extremely defined when players are in motion and watching broadcast NBA televised games.

You can't really use "google image search" when it comes to muscle definition as a blueprint because camera flash or photos taken with high definition camera captures a different aesthetic flavor. You need to use real NBA footage where the players are actually in motion. This is why player models in NBA2k14 wasn't as accurate as people say they were, and also in NBA Live overall where everyone is built extremely muscular. Everyone in 2k14 was built with extreme muscle cuts. That's not normal with real NBA footage.

What 2k is famous for is players in motion. They look realistic and the move realistic. Adding intense muscle definition could jeopardize this aspect. Just a guess.

Just the same as pre-workout and post-workout body image. Immediately after lifting weights, your muscles tend to be incredibly defined, you look your best immediately after a workout. You look ripped. As the hours go by, you begin to look "softer." You may still be cut if you're already cut and conditioned well, but you're not going to look as muscular defined. A lot of fitness photoshoot may have the person do some push, pullup or whatever just prior to shooting to give a more muscular cut/lean look.

What 2k or other games will are an animation system that simulates a muscle flexed state (partial, intense, heavy, etc.) vs their unflexed natural state. I don't want to see extreme muscle cuts when the majority of the time, the athletes' muscle isn't in the extreme flexed state. More often than not, their muscles are on the softer, less flexed side, and I think 2k does a very good job with it.

I personally want to experience and see what I would see on TV, not what I would see on google image.

Click on spoiler tag for more real live NBA broadcast footage showing players' muscle definition don't match that of google image search. Muscle definition during live broadcast is much more subtle.

Spoiler

Example 3

That's all great... except there's more than one camera angle available in 2k. Just because you want to replicate the NBA on TV doesn't mean everyone else does.

If you're playing with a more zoomed in camera (or looking at action replays), muscle definition should pretty visible... like this;

Spoiler

Also, the screen shots they're providing to us are not from a broadcast angle... so your point is kind of moot. I would get it if they were showing us screenshots of gameplay from the broadcast view.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #62
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Just glad they got rid of Bradley Beal's round, round, Charlie Brown shaped head.

Good to see them making good faces.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #63
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBhoops
That's all great... except there's more than one camera angle available in 2k. Just because you want to replicate the NBA on TV doesn't mean everyone else does.

If you're playing with a more zoomed in camera (or looking at action replays), muscle definition should pretty visible... like this;

Spoiler

Also, the screen shots they're providing to us are not from a broadcast angle... so your point is kind of moot. I would get it if they were showing us screenshots of gameplay from the broadcast view.
Again, you're basically proving my point by using google image. You're also using athletic adrenaline infused (when the athlete is at the peak, peak, peak muscle flexed position) DSLR high powered (likely) camera shots.

Did you at least watch all three videos I posted? I specifically selected footage that zoomed in on the players. I wanted to get footage that zoomed in closer on players to show that their muscle definition is not as extreme as seen with google image. Not everything was from your traditional pulled back broadcast in-game camera shot. At the start of the game (example 1 video), during the timeout substitution (example 3 video), close up of the players, you'll see that their muscle definition is not as extreme as the google images you've captured. NBA live has extreme muscle definition always. It changes partially (not entirely, but partially) why their animations system looks the way they do.

Secondly. The screenshots 2k is releasing are basically from in game. They're simply zooming in on the players so they can specifically captured them as screencaps. Basically the same if you had the power from behind a TV studio broadcast camera. Find the player you want, zoom in and focus on them during the broadcast.

Third. Did you see how "soft" Andre's muscles looked in that second and third video? Did you see how "soft" all the players in the videos looked? These aren't during traditional broadcast camera, these are all during replay, or non-traditional zoomed in footage showing players on close up.

Screencapture from video (Zoomed in shots of players). These aren't from "broadcast" camera view, these are from a 'different' camera angle, but zoomed in on the players when they're moving, breathing, real life.
Spoiler
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-10-2017 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #64
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Waiting for Evan Fournier....want to see if 2k did him dirty again this year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »