Home

Upcoming AI Blog Things we hope they cover

This is a discussion on Upcoming AI Blog Things we hope they cover within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Upcoming AI Blog Things we hope they cover

delete Msg

Last edited by Impetuous65; 09-29-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Upcoming AI Blog Things we hope they cover

Online MyLeague
Old 08-19-2017, 09:45 PM   #3
Rookie

Does defensive A.C.E. go off of the defensive personal or the offensive personal

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
'Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard" - Kevin Durant.......................... Los Angeles Clippers: San Francisco 49ers: New York Yankees: New Jersey Devils: New Jersey Nets (until they moved to Brooklyn): Temple University:
Old 08-19-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
Pro

Fastbreak Offense AI:
Is DeAndre Jordan sprinting to the corner 3 again instead of trailing for the lob?

Fastbreak Defense AI:
Are defenders going to stop and turn around upon touching the free throw line while chasing the offensive player on the fastbreak?
Old 08-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
72-10

MarkWilliam's Arena

OVR: 1

Interesting thread. I actually hadn't thought about what I want to hear (aside from the obvious - defensive AI disaster that was 2K17 and the improvements for 2K18). I usually just sit back and enjoy when these 2 guys blog.

Just throwing one in, it'd be nice to see if plays out of timeouts are a little more comprehensive this year. Definitely not a priority of mine though. As a priority, we NEED the defensive AI to be better - specifically for PnR weak side help/rotations or 2K18 will not last long for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2017, 12:04 AM   #6
Rookie

RainZ's Arena

OVR: 14

I mainly just want to know how the new movement system is going to help with the Defensive AI of your teammates...

Will they actually be able to fight around basic screens and stick with their man?

Or will it still be like playing a pickup game with non basketball players, with your AI teammates getting beaten on every simple back pick/backdoor cut to the hoop...
Old 08-20-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3

I'm hoping they either directly or indirectly address four things:

(1) Defensive vision artificial intelligence - Help defense AI both cpu and user teammate

(2) Predictable animations' artificial intelligence

(3) Shot clock artificial offensive intelligence (cpu)

(4) Psychic Steal animations artificial intelligence

Spoiler tag below includes animated gifs to showcase exactly what I mean.

Two real life animated NBA gifs, all defenders are aware of the ball handler, and they're "cheating" towards the ball handler but still are within arms' reach of their own man, all of the other 4 off-ball Warriors could clamp down any minute if necessary, potentially available to give help defense despite not actually committing to help defense at all during the play. I want to actually see this in NBA2k18 because I've never seen this in 2k basketball.

Unless there's a setting already in the game that I don't know about. The two gifs below, everyone is aware of the ball handler and has an eye and is within reach of their own man. Watch their arm tracking their own man, head tracking the ball handler, head tracking the ball handler's potential to attack the basket or pass the ball.

Defensive vision - Help defense AI both cpu and user teammate

Help defensive AI for both cpu and user teammate. Not sure what the exact terminology is but I would like to see off ball defensive teammates knowing when to "cheat" or I would like to see them "cheating" on defense while keep arms length reach with their own man, especially if they're within the vicinity of the ball handler. I want the off-ball defender (both cpu and user) to know when to attempt swipes and rotate when necessary. I want the off-ball defender to have proper awareness and vision to leave their man but still have the awareness to recover. Because as of right now, the help/cheat awareness in 2k17 is lacking. There's really no help/cheating help defense. It's always seems to be man on man.

Everyone is playing straight up, plus there really is no "headtracking peripheral vision awareness of the ball handler" I would like to see more "cheating" defense going on, arms within reach. Not exactly sure if "cheating" is the appropriate terminology, but hopefully you know what I'm trying to get at.

Here, all the defenders' seems to be in their own little world of just strictly guarding their man. I'm hoping 2k18's artificial defensive intelligence will show (as well as visually with player head tracking) peripheral awareness and maintain awareness of where the ball handler is, as well as arm tracking their own man.

SPOILER TAG

Spoiler

EDIT: 8/28/17 ... I'm adding the following concerns to this post because it's something that also applies

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake

2k Special Guest Kobe and Garnett

But some concerns I have from the video.
(1) Player floor position awareness and the lack of "cheating" "anticipatory help" defense.
(2) Isolation plays
(3) Crossover dribble drives.

Click on spoiler tag to see gifs and examples of my concerns.

Spoiler

Concern #1

Concern #2

Concern #3

Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 08-28-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #8
Rookie

PippenFan's Arena

In 2k17 sometimes the game would make user controllers players aumatically jump off pump fakes. This needs to go away.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »