Home

the Czar breaks down play of the day. Targets AI!

This is a discussion on the Czar breaks down play of the day. Targets AI! within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #17
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: the Czar breaks down play of the day. Targets AI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Great thread Sam!

All of this analysis made me think of a suggestion. It would be cool if, in addition to choosing if/when to double someone, and how tight to play them, we could also control how picks & screens are handled... trap, switch, go over the top, cut underneath.

As is, the defensive AI combined with the new defensive controls will make playing defense challenging, fun, more interesting & much more involved.
You are on the Money with that Bezo That is finally necessary. Great suggestion.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 08-25-2006, 01:49 PM   #18
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

(Rocky theme music in background)

Sam40 (in Ali voice) “The champ is here, the champ is here, oh dam why ain’t you tell me we were back on the air ?”

Were Back again , thanks for sticking with us as we wrap up the 1st quarter of action, during that last break we had some viewers send in some emails that we will pass on Sam40 before we end our telecast. Without further adieu … here is Mr 40

We pick up the action again with Parker crossing half court

Lakers Possession number 6

@ 3:09 we find the Lakers in a 3 -2 offensive set with Kobe on the right wing and Lamar on the left and Kwame and Mhim on the blocks

@ 3:10 Kobe receives the pass and Kwame posts up strong on the block

@ 3:11 Kobe is in the right corner with the live dribble. Watch Kwame step out to create space for Kobe to work the Baseline.

@ 3:13 Kobe leaves the base line and heads toward Kwame Kwame’s defender gives help so he clears to the top of the key. You may have missed this if you just watch the ball. But as kwame clears to the top of the key Mihm also clears from the low block to 15-17 feet out near the baseline

As Kobe goes to work watch Mihm clear all the way to the left baseline corner. Again to create space as he does this watch Big Illy… he is not fooled into following a non 3 point shooter out to the 3 point line and instead stays as close as he can without being called for defensive 3 seconds…

But the question is moot and Kobe creates space and drills the Jumper.

@ 3:46 I have to give props not to the user but to the excellent fade away lebron Jumper animation. After tirelessly searching for on opening to drive . User is resigned to his fate of shooting outside the paint. As he goes for the shot Bron steps away BEFORE pivoting to the rim to create space for the turnaround fadeaway J… georgous.. simply georgous.

Lakers Possession number 7

After Bron’s incredible fadeaway J I like what I’m seeing here as the Lakers actually in bound the ball to Kobe who brings the ball up and calls a play (his own no doubt LOL)
Just as he comes across half court he is double teamed and makes a quick pass to Smush

@ 3:57 Smush turns and faces the basket ( fundamentals baby) then does not hesitate at all in passing to the Open Lamar whos man was doubling Kobe at half court.
@ 3:58 tendencies, tendencies, tendencies… Lamar foregoes the open 3 and head to the rim the user over rotates getting back into the play with Lebron but Lamar misses the somewhat contested J. Notice the BIG MAN rebound animation of Big Illy @ 3:59. keeps the rock above his head then outlets.

Lakers Possession number 8

@ 4:20 Smush is fouled with a reach in call on the D. One thing I like is when there is a foul most times (2k6) you could replay and actually see where the contact occurred.

@ 4:23 notice how as Kwame starts to move to take the ball out. The rest of the Lakers start to move into position for the out of bounds play. But hey this isn’t college where guys run to get into place notice their pace and tell me if that don’t look real.. watch it

Smush walks down …when’s the last time you seen this now ? walks down to set a screen and as he gets to the free throw line Kobe walks with him as Smush or the Pg ( this ****s is blurry forgive me) walks down Lamar is there for a brush screen. Then Pg comes back off of a down screen by Lamar to receive the rock while Kobe comes off a post screen by Mihm.

@ 4:36 the user is out of position and PG aimes to take advantage by going hard to the rim Help d rotates and meets him before he can get his feet in the paint.

User tip:
Successful dribble penetration is not just getting layups.Teams with people who can get their feet in the paint allow a team to get quote unquote easy opportunities and the more of these you get the smaller the amount of contested shots you take and the higher your shooting percentage. Once inside the paint the whole floor opens up for draw and dish possibilities and it also create fouls if he draws your big man to stop him then makes a pass you the man your center left. When he recovers its can be a dunk or a foul or both. So help keep your bigs stay out of foul trouble by keeping feet out of the painted area. That Will also shorten distance between the drawer and the disher allowing faster defensive recovery.

@ 4:39 you can see this is not a permanent trap but true help and recover defense as after bron stops penetration he recovers back and as Smush keeps coming Gooden eventually helps as well

@ 4:42 once Smush is deep in the paint watch Kwame relocate at the perfect passing angle to give Smush a release point. Wisely smush does not pass or shoot but dribbles out and releases the ball to kwame and gets it right back.

Now this is exciting stuff.. a broken play but the AI is still organized. Watch Kobe do what you want your stars to do and that is come to the ball

@ 4:45 Kobe runs to the top of the Key and continues to circle then watch the angle he goes to the basket at 4:45 and how he keeps his shoulders square to the ball using a step slide foot shuffle similar to when on d but you use it on O when expecting to receive the ball. This is serious **** here men !

One thing I missed back at 4:45 is that when kobe came to the ball. Watch Lamar play natural basketball and go away to opposite way Kobe is coming… he goes baseline… back to Kobe !

@ 4:49 watch how Kobe backs away to create space at the correct angle again. Real basketball moves in circles and angles and it is beautiful to see here. Simultaneously Smush has the hot hand and a size mismatch over snow 6-6 or 6-5 to the 6-2 snow and easily hits the J over the top.

Lakers Possession number 9

@ 5:28 the Lakers break off of a missed shot. And exploit one of the advantages of pushing the ball up the floor. Its not just about getting a fast break it is also about creating mismatches to take advantage of once the team gets back on d

@ 5:32 Smush is stopped after a pass by Lamar in the paint. As he backs up Big Illy follows him out… hmmm can you say mismatch…

User tip:
A mismatch is not alwayls an opportunity just to get to the basket especially against a great defensive team because of the rotations. On many occasions in a mismatch with a small with the ball guarded by a big, the small will create space for his dribble shake up bigs knees a little and take the open Jump shot. Which would fall under our earlier discussion of creating easy shots.

@ 5:33 Smush passes to Kwame who drives the lane with a mismatch of his own and draws help defense from you guessed it Big Ill… Big Slow Illy who can not recover in time and Parker gets the three !! why didn’t they rotate ? right after the push of the break they were not in a set offense I’m sure they don’t plan on Illy at the point when they practiced rotations. Another plus of pushing the ball up the floor

Well that concludes our look at the First quarter we ran out of time for the questions from our audience but we will be sure to get next time as we look at the 2nd quarter.
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B

Last edited by Da_Czar; 08-25-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:11 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Cant wait for the second quarter, this is some pretty good in-depth ai analysis you are doing.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 11

Couple of points of concern, not based on vids, really, just I'm wondering about how much coaching tendencies and team tendencies influences player tendencies. I hope neither one has a completely overpowering influence on the player tendencies, and that player tendencies progress to adjust to coaching and team tendencies as season(s) go on.

Not to mention that I hope players who don't like to shoot or aren't aggressive on offense play like that and milk the clock a bit before they decide to do anything with the ball.

Another thing is that I wish there were actual offensive miscues in the game. For instance, a poor offensive team won't play like a cohesive unit and when players pass the ball around there's a greater chance of the ball going out of bounds or being stolen because the recipient's not in the position where he should be to get the ball.

All of this stuff might be possible in the game. I'm hoping as it adds more to the realism, along with off-ball fouls (though that doesn't really look like it's in there other than over the back fouls). I would like to play full 12-minute quarters and I think a lot of this would go a long way towards keeping a realistic amount of shot attempts in 12 minute quarters.

The vids look amazing, by the way, and I can't wait to get my hands on the game. It truly looks like we can put ID 2004 out to pasture, and 2k7 can take the crown for best sim for real this time.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:05 PM   #21
WTF
MVP

WTF's Arena

OVR: 50

After Bron’s incredible fadeaway J I like what I’m seeing here as the Lakers actually in bound the ball to Kobe who brings the ball up and calls a play (his own no doubt LOL)

I didn't see this... Kobe actually brought the ball up instead of Smush? And set up a play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #22
MVP

Shakedowncapo's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF

I didn't see this... Kobe actually brought the ball up instead of Smush? And set up a play?
Well something like that...After Bron's fadeaway he was near smush and Odom passed it to the open man (Kobe)...He then called a play, passed it to smush, who passed it to the open Odom for the shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »