Home

THE COMPUTER MAKES EVERY SHOT!!?

This is a discussion on THE COMPUTER MAKES EVERY SHOT!!? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #81
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: THE COMPUTER MAKES EVERY SHOT!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully
Face it. The CPU is badass. You have to run plays and you have to adapt on defense. They exploit you. People are always complaining about stupid AI. Now you say its not fair? lol
People do need to play better defense, and learn the new system but that doesn't excuse the degree of difficulty shots going in at a high percentage, nor does it excuse the 3pt percentages. Forget contested threes...if you leave most NBA player's open all day, they don't make 90% of their open shots, lol. You've seen the three point contest. It just doesn't work that way. Uncontested threes put percentages in the 50-60% range, and contested threes drop down to the 0-30% range for most players. Right now uncontested 3s are in the 90-100% range. I haven't had an issue with contested 3s.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #82
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tully
Face it. The CPU is badass. You have to run plays and you have to adapt on defense. They exploit you. People are always complaining about stupid AI. Now you say its not fair? lol
That just a blanket statement though. Granted yes everyone has to learn the new system but the my defense has nothing to do with the fact that Kirk Hinhrich (sp) can hit off balanced 3s with ease. Like the poster above stated it doesnt matter if they were completely wide open a team is still not going to hit 90% of their shots no matter what.

And in this game not only are they doing this but they are doing it with people who have never proven able to hit more than 4 points a game let alone 8 threes in one game. I have PG being able to thread the needle like they were born of Magic's sweat. Granted this has always been a problem but its even worst this year.

Also there are other things that are brought into this. Like for example in that game vs the bulls the CPU made 9 and 1 shots. No matter what the ackward angle it was after being close lined by my player the ball always went in. What am I suppose to do about that?

One of the biggest problems is the fact that the CPU seems to be able to just simply ignore the system that the user has to play by.

I understand I must run plays to get open shots but the CPU doesnt. It barely even has to make a move to make a shot. Most of the time I see the CPU come down and just jack up a fade away 3 point shot with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

Bottom line is this. I dont care what level its on Luol Deng should never just come down the court and pull up for a 3 let alone actually make it. He is one of the worst 3 points shooting forwards in the entire league..he only attempted like 15 last year. Yet you give him a inch and he will jay it in your face.

Last edited by Soodmeg; 10-09-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM   #83
Banned

Born quick tips for defense. I do not understand this years defense.

Whenever I play on ball defense then its a automatic back door or oop. Hell most of the time the CPU doesnt even care if I am playing defense on the player or not it will still just jay the shot anyway.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #84
Rookie

marc68's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
ill say it again.

Listen to me, and listen to me close.

all you have to do is edit everyones shooting ratng (Close,mid three) down by 10.
The default ratings are way too high for EVERYONe.. fricking Andrew bynum has a 63 mid range rating.. and dwight howard has a 56... dont know abut you but i havent aprticularly seen these cats shoot jumpers.

IT IS A BUG IN THE GAME THAT GOT INTRODUCED PRIOR TO SHIPPING THAT ELEVATED EVERY ONES SHOOTING RATINGS.

after that plays a few games THEN start messing with sliders.

dont worry, guys will still make shots, jsut not at that absurd percentage they are now...it is way more realistic.

if you think they're not making enough or making too many still afetr playing MULTIPLE GAMES... then and only then touch the sliders.

treat the cause not the symptom. until help arrives. in the form of Rashidi.

So you want people to go and edit about 450 plaers ratings??!!! I would rather not do that, who has the time for that...and why should we??
Old 10-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #85
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc68
So you want people to go and edit about 450 plaers ratings??!!! I would rather not do that, who has the time for that...and why should we??
You can just edit the global CPU Sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #86
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soodmeg
Born quick tips for defense. I do not understand this years defense.

Whenever I play on ball defense then its a automatic back door or oop. Hell most of the time the CPU doesnt even care if I am playing defense on the player or not it will still just jay the shot anyway.
Okay, my D isn't perfect yet, which is why I haven't put the thread together yet, but I think I'm having better luck than some guys, lol.

More so than tips, I'll tell you how I'm playing, and how it's leading me to have no problem winning on Pro, All star, and in a very short sample, staying competitive on HoF.

-Start with on the ball defense with the PG
STOP!
Who are you guarding? Is he a 3pt threat? Let's start off with "no".
So let's say I'm playing the Spurs.

So I start off guarding Tony and look at the WHOLE COURT
-What are they setting up?
-Who's on strong side/weak side?
-Where's Tim?

Lay back off of Tony, make feints towards the passing lanes. Nothing to committal. Just let the cpu know you're thinking about it.

(so let's say they are setting up Tim in the post)
-They're getting ready to set up Tim
-ease over to his passing lane
-ease back to Tony
-switch to your PF, try to push Tim around
Nothing? That's expected, but we keep them honest that way
-Tim gets the ball
WAIT
-don't overreact. Let him start dribbling
-If he starts dribbling, come down with guard help and swipe
-don't help aggressively off of Bowen
-if he goes into a shooting motion, switch to the center and help on the shot contest

Believe it or not, if you follow the above gameplan aggressively, Tim will not go 20 for 21 on you. He'll make too many shots, lol, but you can still get the win, and you have to turn every miss into points. These are still the Spurs.

After the shot attempt, find a player and put a butt on somebody. Just grab anyone near the rim, hold L and move your player's *** around until it touches someone. Boxing out is much more effective than the Y button.

New Scenario

The opposing PG is a 3pt threat

-start off by pressuring him towards help.
-constantly change your lock on configuration
-let go of lock on to run around picks
-glance at the WHOLE COURT make sure you're not being decoyed
-if you are, select a big man and take up some space, this has been VERY effective for me in getting deflections. Just put your big man in the WAY of the lane. Don't press any buttons. The ball physics will take care of you much of the time if done correctly. I did this against the Jazz on HoF, so I know it works.
-If you're not being decoyed, go back to the PG. Don't be predictable with him. Keep yourself available to contest, but don't overcommit

If you keep taking up space with your big man, you shouldn't have a problem with alley oops. Honestly, I'm not even seeing them, but in the attempts I have seen, I've gotten a LOT of passes broken up because the big man was already in the area. If your big man is in the area, the pass will have less of a chance of being clean.

Last, if the PG is penetrating, again just take up some space with other players in the lane. Swipe at the initiation of layups with the guard. If you've maneuvered your big in the general direction of help, the CPU will contest the shot. Like any defense, this doesn't work every time, but it pushes the CPU to take difficult shots and give up fast break points.

Letting the PG penetrate is a great strategy once you are able to contest layups with your own controls and CPU help.

okay, THIS is the last tip. As soon as a guard gets below the top of the key, change your pressure to "close" with Lock on, but not generic close, close leaning towards help D. This ruins their court spacing.

Hope this gets you started.

Whatever you do, do NOT just play tight on their PG for a whole possession, and do NOT just roam with the big man. When you switch, it should be for a specific reason--to break up the play.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #87
MVP

erickonasis's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornindamecca
Okay, my D isn't perfect yet, which is why I haven't put the thread together yet, but I think I'm having better luck than some guys, lol.

More so than tips, I'll tell you how I'm playing, and how it's leading me to have no problem winning on Pro, All star, and in a very short sample, staying competitive on HoF.

-Start with on the ball defense with the PG
STOP!
Who are you guarding? Is he a 3pt threat? Let's start off with "no".
So let's say I'm playing the Spurs.

So I start off guarding Tony and look at the WHOLE COURT
-What are they setting up?
-Who's on strong side/weak side?
-Where's Tim?

Lay back off of Tony, make feints towards the passing lanes. Nothing to committal. Just let the cpu know you're thinking about it.

(so let's say they are setting up Tim in the post)
-They're getting ready to set up Tim
-ease over to his passing lane
-ease back to Tony
-switch to your PF, try to push Tim around
Nothing? That's expected, but we keep them honest that way
-Tim gets the ball
WAIT
-don't overreact. Let him start dribbling
-If he starts dribbling, come down with guard help and swipe
-don't help aggressively off of Bowen
-if he goes into a shooting motion, switch to the center and help on the shot contest

Believe it or not, if you follow the above gameplan aggressively, Tim will not go 20 for 21 on you. He'll make too many shots, lol, but you can still get the win, and you have to turn every miss into points. These are still the Spurs.

After the shot attempt, find a player and put a butt on somebody. Just grab anyone near the rim, hold L and move your player's *** around until it touches someone. Boxing out is much more effective than the Y button.

New Scenario

The opposing PG is a 3pt threat

-start off by pressuring him towards help.
-constantly change your lock on configuration
-let go of lock on to run around picks
-glance at the WHOLE COURT make sure you're not being decoyed
-if you are, select a big man and take up some space, this has been VERY effective for me in getting deflections. Just put your big man in the WAY of the lane. Don't press any buttons. The ball physics will take care of you much of the time if done correctly. I did this against the Jazz on HoF, so I know it works.
-If you're not being decoyed, go back to the PG. Don't be predictable with him. Keep yourself available to contest, but don't overcommit

If you keep taking up space with your big man, you shouldn't have a problem with alley oops. Honestly, I'm not even seeing them, but in the attempts I have seen, I've gotten a LOT of passes broken up because the big man was already in the area. If your big man is in the area, the pass will have less of a chance of being clean.

Last, if the PG is penetrating, again just take up some space with other players in the lane. Swipe at the initiation of layups with the guard. If you've maneuvered your big in the general direction of help, the CPU will contest the shot. Like any defense, this doesn't work every time, but it pushes the CPU to take difficult shots and give up fast break points.

Letting the PG penetrate is a great strategy once you are able to contest layups with your own controls and CPU help.

okay, THIS is the last tip. As soon as a guard gets below the top of the key, change your pressure to "close" with Lock on, but not generic close, close leaning towards help D. This ruins their court spacing.

Hope this gets you started.

Whatever you do, do NOT just play tight on their PG for a whole possession, and do NOT just roam with the big man. When you switch, it should be for a specific reason--to break up the play.
This is what i do...good post
Old 10-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #88
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Can we get like a thread for help on defense? Born's tips/strategies have been great so far.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »