Home

THE COMPUTER MAKES EVERY SHOT!!?

This is a discussion on THE COMPUTER MAKES EVERY SHOT!!? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-14-2008, 02:35 PM   #257
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: THE COMPUTER MAKES EVERY SHOT!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCruz
I hadn't really thought of any outcomes being predetermined outside of Madden. Usually in Madden games on higher difficulties, you can throw a perfect pass to your receiver that magically gets sucked into the hands of a defender, and I mean that in the literal sense, the ball will drastically veer off course and into the CPU's hands. There's videos of it on youtube.

Aside from that, there's times you'll fumble on a shoestring tackle, or a very light hit. A middle linebacker will jump 5 feet in the air to snag an INT, your guys will drop passes, your QB will overthrow his guy drastically, and many other examples of the computer doing things to keep the game close.

I had never felt that even remotely about a 2k game until this year. I'm still convinced, and hopeful that some slider set should fix this. Personally I don't care if I have to play on pro and have the CPU shooting sliders all at 0. If that's what makes the game more realistic, I'm willing to do it.

But you guys absolutely said it all, predetermined. When you said what you said about being able to tell a game was predetermined, it made bells go off in my head, and I realized that's exactly how I'd felt.

The migraine game was exactly like that. I could do no right, they could do no wrong. Chris Paul is getting blocked to oblivion while their guys are able to jump 5 feet in the air to get a block, and you can only hop slightly.

I took advice from this thread and others and watched CPU vs. CPU match ups. And everyone is right, the computer plays a lot smarter on both sides of the ball when there's not a human controlling either team. They work the ball around, miss contested jumpers, don't rely exclusively on backdoor cuts, they run more plays. They play to their stars strengths. So if I'm watching a Raptors game I'm going to see Bosh and O'Neal posting up, instead of Jamario Moon nailing fadeaway 3 pointers with a hand in his face.

I'm almost starting to feel towards this game as I felt about this years madden. A great base, a lot of new things that make the game wonderful. But the more I play it, the more flaws that come up, and it's becoming more difficult for me to play through it and act like everything is fine.

I'm sure a solid set of sliders can fix this. But it's just disappointing that this is coming from 2k. I've always held them in very very high regard in having difficult games, but not cheesy. This year it's very close to that same cheese we see from Madden every year.

I think that a lot of the times, defensively, some guys just need to adjust. I practice my defense and I'm very capable on the defensive side. But when the computer is making contested fadeaway 3's and I'm missing 6 open dunks in a half. I'd be foolish to turn a blind eye and pretend like everything is fine and the game is perfect, as much as I want it to be.

Again, any recommended slider sets? I would be more than appreciative to hear some feedback on them from people in this thread, mainly because we're the ones having these specific issues.
I have been using Aaron's. Although they aren't perfect, they are decent base. I am considering switching though. I might try Benicio's. I fail to believe there are a good set of sliders for anything less than SS, let alone HOF.

Youtube
Old 10-14-2008, 02:48 PM   #258
Rookie

OVR: 3

Fair enough Card. Let me know if you end up liking Beni's. I used his last year and had a blast. But even he didn't have to overcome any ridiculous issues like that last year. The sliders were for realistic percentages in general, they didn't have to counteract any absurdity like this year.

Again I actually enjoy this years game a lot more than last years. When it's good it's great, but when it's bad, it's real bad.

I have lowered some of the sliders myself, but it seems to end up going the opposite way. I'll either hold the computer to 41% or 72%. There has yet to be a middle ground. The very next game after my migraine game, I was the Nuggets taking on the Wizards. I ended up beating the Wizards by only 2 points as the Jazz a few games before, and it was a good game. This time around after lowering some of the CPU's sliders, I ended up winning by 26 points.

I just need to find a middle ground, I haven't even started an association yet. And I won't until I can legitimately enjoy a game without it being predetermined. I can't imagine going 0-12 in my franchise because the computer doesn't miss and I miss layups.

Truth be told I would rather lose than win. I like having to come from behind and take a victory, and I like having to improve. And just losing in general is awesome after being able to go 82-0 and 98-0 after the playoffs last year. But to lose in this manner isn't fun, or legitimate at all.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #259
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

I'll have to disagree with the "predetermined" crowd. Yes, I'll be up by 10, but the CPU usually takes advantage of a mistake(s) I have made to cut down that lead and start to flip the momentum to their side. I can feel the momentum shift as they start coming back and its usually do to some fundamental errors on my part. I don't feel like the CPU is making crazy shots (anymore now that my D game has gotten better w/ each game) down the stretch just to keep it close. Hell, Kobe actually missed an end of game 3 pointer to tie the game. I'm still learning, so I'm happy just to have had such a wide margin.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM   #260
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
I'll have to disagree with the "predetermined" crowd. Yes, I'll be up by 10, but the CPU usually takes advantage of a mistake(s) I have made to cut down that lead and start to flip the momentum to their side. I can feel the momentum shift as they start coming back and its usually do to some fundamental errors on my part. I don't feel like the CPU is making crazy shots (anymore now that my D game has gotten better w/ each game) down the stretch just to keep it close. Hell, Kobe actually missed an end of game 3 pointer to tie the game. I'm still learning, so I'm happy just to have had such a wide margin.
I agree. Its momentum. Just like in the real game. I think 2K did a good job of recreating the momentum shifts. Its a game of runs. I was using my Lakers and down around 11 to the Hornets and ended up beating them by about 11. Just play smart. I do believe the adaptive AI really works in this game
Old 10-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #261
Pro

OVR: 10

Well either the momentum shifts are pre-determined or my brain is wired to start out up by 9 - 15, slowly have that lead whittled down to a tie at half, then go down 15 midway through the 3rd before coming back to lose the game by 6 to 8 points.

I'm not being totally serious, but it's pretty fishy when this happens in 7 out 10 games I play. And at the point in the 4th where I get it to 6, I might get within 2 or 3 but NEVER will I take the lead, at least not on default sliders. Since applying bizcano's sliders with Nogster's tendencies (but not attributes ) I've had every game decided by 1 - 3 points in the CPU's favor on All-Star. I can win on Pro now though, I just choose to play All-Star because it feels like more of a challenge, I just need those attributes IMO and the game will be perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #262
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodima
Well either the momentum shifts are pre-determined or my brain is wired to start out up by 9 - 15, slowly have that lead whittled down to a tie at half, then go down 15 midway through the 3rd before coming back to lose the game by 6 to 8 points.

I'm not being totally serious, but it's pretty fishy when this happens in 7 out 10 games I play.
thats probably true but when you think about it, the majority of NBA games happen exactly how you just described it.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #263
Pro

OVR: 10

Yea but it doesn't happen Kings @ Grizzlies 7 out of 10 times, there should be a little variety....

BTW, Kevin Martin is the computer's definition of cheese, no human uses him so efficiently.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #264
Rookie

OVR: 3

I am glad to see that i am not the only that is FURIOUS about playing the computer...I mean, the Hit EVERYTHING, and I am using Aaron's Slider Set on 8 minutes on Superstar. It is VERY VERY Frustrating...I mean I don't play ranked games anymore and I am aboutt o quit playing the computer, LOL Its like I paid 60 bucks to get raped all the way around with this game, I am REALLY at a loss for words....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »