Home

***Official NBA 2K12 Wishlist Thread***

This is a discussion on ***Official NBA 2K12 Wishlist Thread*** within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #1001
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

OVR: 61
Re: ***Official NBA 2K12 Wishlist Thread***

^"Talent imitates, genius steals"

That's the point of competition. Take something good from another game, then incorporate some of your own vision (2K) of Basketball to it, enhance it and make it better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2011, 12:51 AM   #1002
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

Bring back TV style presentation of starting lineups and include height, weight and year for the players. Make a variation of these also. It could have 2 or 3 variations, like for some games show the starting 5. For others show the match-ups (showing both teams), etc.

All of this of course after some nice arena team introductions. Different type of intros according to teams, some lights out for home team others light on, different music, etc. Give us the option to customize the type of intro for each arena for both the home and away team and in which order players are presented

Last but not least. IMO all player portraits should be "virtual", meaning that the current face any given player has will be used as his portrait. This would put an end to the "no portrait" players, like in the case of new rookies because of a roster update for example or user created players. Just like old school games, ala Bulls vs Blazers.

Last edited by aloncho11; 05-19-2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:23 AM   #1003
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloncho11
Bring back TV style presentation of starting lineups and include height, weight and year for the players. Make a variation of these also. It could have 2 or 3 variations, like for some games show the starting 5. For others show the match-ups (showing both teams), etc.
TV starting lineups don't show height/weight/etc. As you can see from the picture you posted.

Quote:
All of this of course after some nice arena team introductions. Different type of intros according to teams, some lights out for home team others light on, different music, etc. Give us the option to customize the type of intro for each arena for both the home and away team and in which order players are presented
When's the last time you saw pre-game intros on television? It's just too much work for something we rarely see IRL.

Quote:
Last but not least. IMO all player portraits should be "virtual", meaning that the current face any given player has will be used as his portrait. This would put an end to the "no portrait" players, like in the case of new rookies because of a roster update for example or user created players. Just like old school games, ala Bulls vs Blazers.
Having real portraits adds to the realism. Although I suppose having an option for "Real" or "Virtual" player pics couldn't hurt.
Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #1004
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

Hey man, easy. They're suggestions. The height and weight is for the match-ups screen variation, and the pregame intros is something that could add to the immersion of the game...I'm not the only one who wants them.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:02 AM   #1005
Banned

OVR: 9

add the last name bob to the database so i can finally create myself
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #1006
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJolley20
I feel like I have to say this right now. I can't think of any reason 2K can't simply watch several dozen actual basketball games, record what they see, and replicate in their games.

I understand that video games and the systems that run them are not perfect, infinitely powerful pieces of miracle-working machinery that can produce a virtual version of anything with a simple command input from the designers, but this is where I feel like 2K doesn't communicate with us enough. If they came out and said "We'd love to put this in our games-- it'd make it much more realistic, as we see it all the time in real life, but we can't for such-and-such a reason regarding system limitations," I'd be FINE with that.

Instead, they keep us in the dark, and we end up with things like:

-Defenders always being stronger than ballhandlers on contact plays, as Jakeness pointed out in the post above

-Arena music playing for only five seconds before tip, when in real life it plays for minutes on end during the network pre-game intro

-Poor cutscenes during intros, after fouls, etc., in which we only see one player (in real life, during intros and after fouls, the camera pans from player to player to player to player, and you don't have to be a genius to figure this out-- just WATCH A GAME)

-The same tip-off camera angle every single game

-Layups getting contested as if the defender is closing out on a jumper as opposed to attempting to swat a layup (which is not only unrealistic, but makes blocking layups in this situation basically impossible)

-Commentators saying just stupid, unrealistic things in specific situations (like during injuries-- compare a sound byte of "Injury" commentary in 2K to real life. It's insulting how off 2K is)

-Defenders being superpowered on the perimeter, which was clearly intentional since the defenders for both the AI and the user are capable of sliding (as if they're on wheels) and stopping on a dime to recover when beaten off the dribble

-Players performing shoulder fakes/shimmies in the low-post who NEVER DO THEM AT ALL IN REAL LIFE

-Horrible, slow triple-threat animations (and WTF is that "Protect Ball" animation? I've never seen ANYONE in real life do that)

-Pick and roll plays that were DESIGNED in such a way that the screener sets the pick FAR away from the ballhandler, even though this NEVER happens in real life

-This one is the worst-- as a user, I could go into the low post with a big man (ANY big man, even the strongest player in the league), and engage the defender with my back to the basket. I then move the left stick towards the basket to back him down, and suddenly my player stops. Just stops. Just sits there, dribbling in place with his back to the basket like an idiot as I hold the stick towards the basket the ENTIRE TIME. This isn't the game telling me "You can't back him down" (at which point I'd expect an animation that shows my player attempting, unsuccessfully, to move the defender). This is the game FORCING me to not back down, even though I'm CLEARLY putting in the proper controller input to do so.

In addition:

-Low post players pivoting with their back to the basket slower than I've EVER seen anyone do:

-Being forced to run, with NO WAY to walk the ball up like so:

There's no excuse. A lot of these things have been in PAST iterations of 2K. Why have they been removed? Maybe they've been removed out of necessity-- like I said, I can live with that. What I can't live with is just giving us a sloppy, unrealistic product, not telling us why certain features (that anyone who watches basketball can tell you are realistic) have been omitted, and keeping us in the dark to sit with a frustrating game that could EASILY be much better and much more realistic than it is.
In addition to this, I need to say something else:

2K Sports caters FAR TOO MUCH to the foolish wants and desires of its fanbase.

There's nothing wrong with giving the people what they want, for the most part. That's what this entire thread is for, after all. Where the issue comes into play is the moment that a fan who either:

A- sucks at the game,
B- doesn't understand NBA basketball, or
C- both

becomes dissatisfied with a feature or something or another that THEY THINK should change, but really shouldn't. For example, defense. 2K has been steadily increasing the power of perimeter defense since 2K7 because people online complained that they couldn't stay in front of the LeBrons and Kobes and Wades online, even though you SHOULDN'T BE ABLE TO. Those players (hell, EVERYONE IN THE NBA) get past the first defender WITH NO PROBLEM. Great players are stopped by HELP defense, but users didn't understand that. They thought the initial defender was supposed to be the one to contain the most athletically gifted players in a league of physical demigods. They were too uninformed about the game of basketball to realize that they should bring over big man help to cut off penetration, so what did 2K do? They listened, and now defense is superpowered to a point that what we see in 2K11 would not only be rare in real life, IT WOULD BE ILLEGAL. Don't believe me?

Play an online game of 2K11 and tell me how many times you see that happen. I'll answer for you so you don't have to-- A LOT.

And then, this year, users complained that they were OCCASIONALLY hitting the side of the backboard on baseline jumpers. Something that happens OCCASIONALLY in the NBA. 2K didn't say "We're sorry, but you guys are wrong. This happens in real life at roughly the same rate." No, they inserted a RAINBOW jumper on the baseline that literally reaches the shot clock EVERY TIME THE GAME TRIGGERS IT. So now, instead of hitting the side of the backboard every once in a while like real players do, we're forced to shoot rainbows higher than ANY professional player has EVER shot a basketball during play.

I'm not saying "Don't listen to the fans." I'm saying listen to the fans who know what they're talking about.

Last edited by JimboJolley20; 05-19-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:08 AM   #1007
Banned

Quote:
Hey man, easy. They're suggestions. The height and weight is for the match-ups screen variation, and the pregame intros is something that could add to the immersion of the game...I'm not the only one who wants them.
No hard feelings-- I didn't think I was posting in a way that seemed like I was attacking you. If you felt that way, I apologize, because I definitely wasn't. I was just making my point.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #1008
Hall Of Fame

aloncho11's Arena

^No problem Jimbo

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »