Home

Signature Gathers

This is a discussion on Signature Gathers within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Signature Gathers

First of all signature gathers are AWESOME. One of my favorite additions to 2k11.

We can all agree though, that they need work.

The transition from gather to shot is just plain jerky for some players..

What would you guys suggest as a solution?

Do you think 2k can make the transition completely smooth in 2k12?

My suggestion is you make the signature gather a shot in itself with a release point. When you press Y, the sequence begins, but you still need to release at the proper time to be succesful.

What do you guys think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2011, 02:07 AM   #2
Almighty 2k Paper Champ

richmo's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Signature Gathers

I agree. A lot of the gathers, much like some post moves, have a bit of a pump fake at the end which helps add to the jerkiness. I'd like to see more "regular" type gathers, as most of them involve some sort of spin. I'd also like them to build off of this, and have "signature dribbles" where you can mix them in with your freestyle dribbles and create a nice flow. I understand we already have size-ups, but this would be more like 1 single go-to dribble move that we can use to break into a drive, pull up, etc.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 6

I really like the idea of having the signature gather as a shooting button that we hold down, good thinking. That definitely should make the transition more smoove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
This video game is a SIMULATION of BASKETBALL. Sure its not 100% perfect, but its pretty damn good. You will not get a SIMULATION STYLE BASKETBALL GAME by PLAYING SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT KNOW WHAT SIMULATION MEANS.

#HelloBrooklyn
Old 06-23-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

yeah thats what im thinking man.....

you look at Rose or Lebrons gathers, why would you do those moves and not put a shot up?

I say just make it another shoot button all together

Only thing is, where would you put hop steps, spins etc.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
All Star

DakkoN's Arena

OVR: 37

Don't like the idea of having it as a shot except for certain ones because it messes up the mind games you sometimes need to play to keep from being too predictable and easily having your shot blocked, which is a huge problem with the 2K series having the exact same jump shot animations every single time. I do wish that all of them wouldn't require you to pick up your dribble, like the CP3 one is just a signature dribble move..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
First of all signature gathers are AWESOME. One of my favorite additions to 2k11.

We can all agree though, that they need work.

The transition from gather to shot is just plain jerky for some players..

What would you guys suggest as a solution?

Do you think 2k can make the transition completely smooth in 2k12?

My suggestion is you make the signature gather a shot in itself with a release point. When you press Y, the sequence begins, but you still need to release at the proper time to be succesful.

What do you guys think?
I like the suggestion. I do have a question though. Where do you guys stand on the jerkiness vs control argument ? What I mean is what if you can have either ultimate smooth look OR a bit of jerkiness but more control ?
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Almighty 2k Paper Champ

richmo's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkoN
Don't like the idea of having it as a shot except for certain ones because it messes up the mind games you sometimes need to play to keep from being too predictable and easily having your shot blocked, which is a huge problem with the 2K series having the exact same jump shot animations every single time. I do wish that all of them wouldn't require you to pick up your dribble, like the CP3 one is just a signature dribble move..

Exactly. you see me winding this move up and the shot is easily contested. Would be nice to have an option.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakkoN

That, half of the gathers aren't even "gathers" they're just another cross over/iso moves that you can't use like one, which basically renders the better ones useless.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »