Home

association cap problems, bird years

This is a discussion on association cap problems, bird years within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
association cap problems, bird years

I get that nothing is perfect. I can deal with people not having the right shoes on and not looking perfect, not having second round draft picks with updated rosters, whatever, but some things just ruin a game for me. Long story short 2k screwed up the cap structure in offline association, bird years have no effect on your ability to resign players so pretty much if you're over the cap, even if you're way under the hard cap, kiss that superstar goodbye. Yeah, one could very easily go down the path of questioning how a company can put out a game without testing it and finding these types of glaring mistakes that anyone who's played the series on a regular basis would easily pick up within a few hours of testing, but lets be more constructive because we know 2k doesn't give a **** anyways. Anyone found a viable workaround for this besides trading away your superstars everytime they get to a contract year?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Uh I resign players with bird rights all the time
Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 16
Re: association cap problems, bird years

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosambob808
I get that nothing is perfect. I can deal with people not having the right shoes on and not looking perfect, not having second round draft picks with updated rosters, whatever, but some things just ruin a game for me. Long story short 2k screwed up the cap structure in offline association, bird years have no effect on your ability to resign players so pretty much if you're over the cap, even if you're way under the hard cap, kiss that superstar goodbye. Yeah, one could very easily go down the path of questioning how a company can put out a game without testing it and finding these types of glaring mistakes that anyone who's played the series on a regular basis would easily pick up within a few hours of testing, but lets be more constructive because we know 2k doesn't give a **** anyways. Anyone found a viable workaround for this besides trading away your superstars everytime they get to a contract year?
Couple things:
1. Whenever you feel like it just go into edit player and add years onto a players current contract, but it has to be BEFORE they're free agents.
2. Check the contract extensions page it should tell you which way your players are leaning so if they say they won't sign an extension...TRADE THEM or refer back to #1.
3. Loyalty plays a huge factor in whether or not a player will resign, so don't dismiss it as unimportant (refer back to #1)
4. Make sure the player you're trying to resign has the number of bird years required to resign if you're over the salary cap but under the hard cap or simply refer back to #1.
5. If you haven't noticed #1 is the easiest way to keep a player, but not as fun.
NBA-MELO CP3 LeBron UNC
NFL-BREES POLAMALU
MLB-Yankees Royals
WNBA-Taurasi UCONN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-5bs...e_gdata_player
Old 01-11-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

On the subject of contracts, whats the deal with 0yr/$0 contracts? If you go into the player edit and the contract section, it will say Year 1 is worth $1 and year 2 is worth $0. But on the main team roster screen, it shows up as $0/0 yr.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:43 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
On the subject of contracts, whats the deal with 0yr/$0 contracts? If you go into the player edit and the contract section, it will say Year 1 is worth $1 and year 2 is worth $0. But on the main team roster screen, it shows up as $0/0 yr.
I think it's when the deadline to sign an extension has passed and a player had a contract but after the deadline you decided to erase the last year but the game isn't going to let them become a FA until that year is over. I think the game will make that player play on a team for "free." I've done that before but I deleted that association so I don't know how it plays out.
NBA-MELO CP3 LeBron UNC
NFL-BREES POLAMALU
MLB-Yankees Royals
WNBA-Taurasi UCONN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-5bs...e_gdata_player
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

thank you keepinkwiet, i was unaware that you could even edit contracts but that fixed the problem. after playing around with it a little more the problem seems to be signing contract extensions during the year, if you don't have the available hard cap room in the present year you can't renew contracts even though you have the cap room available the next year, which is when the new contract will actually start counting towards the cap. so for example if you took the lakers, simmed a year, then tried to resign bynum during the 2nd year, can't do it even though there's plenty of cap room in what would be the third year of the franchise. once the offseason comes, you can attempt to resign your FAs and it seems like you'll usually get them, or like keepinkwiet said you can edit contracts. what seemed to work for me in this particular situation was editing pau's contract down to about a mil, did the contract extensions, the edited the contract back to what it was. so pretty much i'm an impatient prick, yeah i guess you can resign them if you wait until the offseason but that also involves a chance of losing them.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

Came across this problem myself and he is absolutely correct. If you play an association with Player Roles off, there are no Bird Years. None to start with, and none accrue over time.

If you play with Roles on, the BY do work as intended. But the BY on the default Roster are all off by a year, meaning that all of the players have one less BY than they are supposed to. Not a huge deal, but it could burn you if you like to get tricky with the cap.

This is pretty much the final straw for me. Along with other glaring problems in Association mode, this pretty much proves that either no testing, or far too little testing takes place on these games. I am done paying to test 2k's games, then getting slapped in the face when it comes time for them to fix issues.

Parts of Association are fundamentally broken and we get a patch that makes fastbreaks run a little better? I seriously doubt i'll ever buy another 2k game in the future, there are far better ways of wasting $60...
Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
MVP

tetoleetd's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
this happens when you sign a free agent during the season. it has always happened to me in every association ive ever done on 2k12, and i think it even happened on 2k11 but im not sure.

for example, in my raptors association i signed eric dampier and i also signed some d-league SG to my active roster. i gave them both 1 year deals for league minimum.....both of their contracts show up as $0. i cant trade them because of this either (even though i didnt plan on trading them).

its pretty stupid and annoying but not a game breaker for me because the players are scrubs anyway :/

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »