Home

What happened to Kareem, Dr. J., and C-Webb?

This is a discussion on What happened to Kareem, Dr. J., and C-Webb? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: What happened to Kareem, Dr. J., and C-Webb?

This is a test. If people were to look for ratings of a missing player, are these readable at all?

Chris Webber
Spoiler

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar ('87)
Spoiler

Last edited by VDusen04; 09-29-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I am a little bummed at the lack of legends focus. I was hoping for something new and unique. Dream team and 01 Sixers is nice but lacked the punch I was hoping for. I kind of think it comes down to ego for some of these retired players. "Oh Barkley got paid...how much? Oh, you need to pay me that too" kind of thing. It is also a bit strange that we can have Barkley on the Dream Team but there is no classic team. Seriously....what kind of confusing legal stuff is that?

Anyhow, I am getting more and more curious about that whole 2kShare thing people have mentioned and some sort of "Kennedy?" DLC that allowed you to add a ton of classic players to the DLC.

Can anyone break down what happened and how it worked?
Can anyone explain 2kShare? I have never seen or used it.
Will this 2kShare be an possible option for some "created" legends to fill the voids on 2K13?

Sorry for my ignorance but I think I missed a nice perk in 2k12.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudnique
I am a little bummed at the lack of legends focus. I was hoping for something new and unique. Dream team and 01 Sixers is nice but lacked the punch I was hoping for. I kind of think it comes down to ego for some of these retired players. "Oh Barkley got paid...how much? Oh, you need to pay me that too" kind of thing. It is also a bit strange that we can have Barkley on the Dream Team but there is no classic team. Seriously....what kind of confusing legal stuff is that?

Anyhow, I am getting more and more curious about that whole 2kShare thing people have mentioned and some sort of "Kennedy?" DLC that allowed you to add a ton of classic players to the DLC.

Can anyone break down what happened and how it worked?
Can anyone explain 2kShare? I have never seen or used it.
Will this 2kShare be an possible option for some "created" legends to fill the voids on 2K13?

Sorry for my ignorance but I think I missed a nice perk in 2k12.
I think money is an issue. But I also think principle plays a role. Some players are just very protective with whom they lend out their name. Nike? Sure. Lender's Bagels? Maybe. Yankee Candles? Hell yes. Visual Concepts? Not so sure. Maybe the money for being on 2K doesn't match what they'd get for being one of the sole spokesmen for one of the other companies. Also, at least one legend (Barkley) brought up the fact that he usually doesn't like associating with the NBA because he doesn't like the lack of support they provide for his retired teammates (and others before him). So that's likely why he okay'd a Dream Team appearance but not classic NBA team.

Regarding filling in missing legends, I think it might depend upon what system you have. I've heard the PS3 isn't as compatible in this regard as the 360. 2KShare is simply an online roster sharing feature. To access, you'd boot up the game, go to "Features", click on "2KShare" and find the roster you desire by either searching by gamertag (of the person who made the roster) or by file name (ex: 1995). On the 360, there's a user named portlandblazer who's been cranking out incredible classic rosters for years, so I can usually search his username on 2KShare and find his latest awesome work.

Now, about the workaround last year. 2K offered a DLC midway through their release, the Legends Showcase, which took place in New York. This showcase featured dozens of classic players not included in the regular version of 2K (Alex English, Rick Barry, prime Vince Carter, etc.). 360 users (and maybe PS3) were able to find a way to shift these players from the DLC to the regular game (along with many classic jerseys unique to the DLC). This allowed the classic rosters created to be much more authentic, as a user-made '93 Suns team could then have nearly every player except for Charles Barkley, since Dan Majerle, Tom Chambers and company were in the DLC.

I think it's too early to tell what players will be unlockable by experienced game editors this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

In case anyone feels they can make a real looking Dr. J but just does not have the attribute numbers:

Julius Erving (1977)
Spoiler
Old 09-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #13
Rookie

01-02 Kings without Webber is pointless... look at the year after without him.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
Rookie

lsalas76's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlatantBlack
it probably has something to do with money, contracts, the league's treatment of its retired players, greed, stupid hubris ("no video game could ever do my talent justice!"), agents, or blah blah blah whatever.

given their personalities (what little we think we know) Kareem isn't too big of a shocker. but Doc and Webber? those two seem very odd to me.
then again back before 2k11 was released i assumed both Charles and Reggie would jump at the chance to be in the game; i was obviously wronger than wrong.
hah "wronger"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I think that's the long and short of it. My personal theory is 2K maxed out on legends in 2K12. I think they were probably able to get some folks to sign last year they likely wouldn't have had a chance to pick up for any other edition, just because there was a primary legend focus last year. For instance, we hand't seem Kareem in years prior to 2K12.

Now that the smoke's cleared, I think it's unavoidable that some stars either weren't satisfied with their likeness, didn't care for the money received, or felt they did 2K the favor 2K requested and now would like to go back to not being involved with making more money for the NBA by lending their likeness.
Quote:
I think money is an issue. But I also think principle plays a role. Some players are just very protective with whom they lend out their name. Nike? Sure. Lender's Bagels? Maybe. Yankee Candles? Hell yes. Visual Concepts? Not so sure. Maybe the money for being on 2K doesn't match what they'd get for being one of the sole spokesmen for one of the other companies. Also, at least one legend (Barkley) brought up the fact that he usually doesn't like associating with the NBA because he doesn't like the lack of support they provide for his retired teammates (and others before him). So that's likely why he okay'd a Dream Team appearance but not classic NBA team.

I think it's too early to tell what players will be unlockable by experienced game editors this year.
yeah for all these reasons stated above in the previous posts is most likely why these players are not in. I am disappointed that they are not in but what can we do. It may or may not have been 2k's fault. Well at least the game was executive produced by Jay-z and his name will be all over the game and at least we'll get to play as Justin Bieber, and all that beats out not having Jabbar, Dr. J, and C-Web.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #15
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
In case anyone feels they can make a real looking Dr. J but just does not have the attribute numbers:

Julius Erving (1977)
Spoiler
Skill signature set?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2012, 11:17 AM   #16
Rookie

I'd rather play as Bieber then Dr.J. Seriously.

I'd trade Bow Wow for C-Webb though

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »