Home

Stop Buying Virtual Currency, please

This is a discussion on Stop Buying Virtual Currency, please within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #129
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Stop Buying Virtual Currency, please

Some people just don't get it. I mean, those accessories are ALREADY in the game, available from the get-go. Only, 2k restricts the access to them in the one mode that provides the most escapism and caters to our fantasies of playing in the NBA. They purposely make it so it is extremely difficult to earn VC with the idea that the player will become impatient and just spend real money just to regain access to the accessories. It's shameless.

It's like, say you buy a car, and it has all the standard features, like air-con, climate control panel, radio, mileage-efficiency display, etc. Only, you can't use them right away, you have to own your car for like say half a year before you can use them...OR you can pay the manufacturer a set sum to use it right away. even if it was a small-sum, its not right and doesn't make sense. It's not about being cheap, its about principle.

Since all that stuff is already in the game, they're not working any harder to provide us with new content, so they don't really deserve the money they make from selling VC.
If we were paying for dlc not in the game, like say new legend teams as players request them throughout the year, then i can understand paying for it since they actually had to do some work to get the player license, do research on players stats and tenancies for that year, make the player models, and so on.
This is different though. they're pretty much just sitting back, watching sheep give them more money, and essentially for free, for something thats been standard and free in myplayer since the mode was first introduced because they know people will throw money at them if they make the people more impatient.

Not going to lie, 2k knows business and knows how to make money, and they know how the mind of the masses work. I'm not sure what the ratio is, but if the game used a 1-1 currency ratio between VC and the USD, and scaled down the price of these the accessories appropriately, people would probably be more hesitant to buy the sleeves, compressions, headbands, etc since they would see how much their getting for their actual dollar.
Instead they inflate the currency of VC, making it in the hundreds and stuff, and subconsciously it feels like you would be getting more than you actually do. Its actually pretty standard business using numbers psychology. say your buying medicine; for the average american who doesn't know metric, they are more likely to buy a label that reads 150mg than a label that read .3grams even if they were same price, same brand, exact same product.

Last edited by liodeesxalf; 10-07-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #130
Banned

Ken Griffery Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by liodeesxalf

Instead they inflate the currency of VC, making it in the hundreds and stuff, and subconsciously it feels like you would be getting more than you actually do. Its actually pretty standard business using numbers psychology. say your buying medicine; for the average american who doesn't know metric, they are more likely to buy a label that reads 150mg than a label that read .3grams even if they were same price, same brand, exact same product.
This is the same reasons Microsoft instituted their stupid points system years ago. Saying something cost 800 (or 1200) points is psychologically easier to accept than $10-$15 dollars.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #131
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by liodeesxalf
Some people just don't get it. I mean, those accessories are ALREADY in the game, available from the get-go. Only, 2k restricts the access to them in the one mode that provides the most escapism and caters to our fantasies of playing in the NBA. They purposely make it so it is extremely difficult to earn VC with the idea that the player will become impatient and just spend real money just to regain access to the accessories. It's shameless.

It's like, say you buy a car, and it has all the standard features, like air-con, climate control panel, radio, mileage-efficiency display, etc. Only, you can't use them right away, you have to own your car for like say half a year before you can use them...OR you can pay the manufacturer a set sum to use it right away. even if it was a small-sum, its not right and doesn't make sense. It's not about being cheap, its about principle.

Since all that stuff is already in the game, they're not working any harder to provide us with new content, so they don't really deserve the money they make from selling VC.
If we were paying for dlc not in the game, like say new legend teams as players request them throughout the year, then i can understand paying for it since they actually had to do some work to get the player license, do research on players stats and tenancies for that year, make the player models, and so on.
This is different though. they're pretty much just sitting back, watching sheep give them more money, and essentially for free, for something thats been standard and free in myplayer since the mode was first introduced because they know people will throw money at them if they make the people more impatient.

Not going to lie, 2k knows business and knows how to make money, and they know how the mind of the masses work. I'm not sure what the ratio is, but if the game used a 1-1 currency ratio between VC and the USD, and scaled down the price of these the accessories appropriately, people would probably be more hesitant to buy the sleeves, compressions, headbands, etc since they would see how much their getting for their actual dollar.
This.
Exactly...
They get it...This is what this is all about....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #132
Rookie

OVR: 0

If they didn't let us buy VC, I wouldn't even play MyPlayer, because I don't have the patience nor time to build up my player. I get frustrated on too many occasions, so I'm very happy that 2K made this feature and I hope that they continue to allow VC to be purchased.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #133
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Griffery Jr.
VC is the #1 reason I returned my copy of 2K13 and it's because of all the reasons people listed in this thread.

Like everyone else, I was signed for 2 years at 500 vc per year. I went to equip a textured arm sleeve - that was free in previous 2K games - which was now being sold for 3,000 VCs (the regular sleeve is 800vc). Let's imagine that my rookie MP was really in the NBA and received a contract for $500,000 a year ($100,000 per 100vc) and then let's convert that money into coins. That means:

500 vc = $500,000.

So what we have are two arm sleeves that in real life, would cost:

800vc = $800,000
3,000vc = $3,000,000

For a game that markets itself as being a realistic sim of the NBA, this is ridiculous. In what world are headbands, sleeves, socks and such priced more than an NBA player makes? What player is going to save up 6 years worth of salary to be able to buy himself an arm sleeve? Sure, after your contract is up, you can negotiate for a higher salary, but at it's core, this is nothing more than a shameless cash grab by 2K trying to force their consumer to pay real money to dress up their virtual baller.
Realism is creating your own dude? If it was realistic, you'd be like "roll me a random dude with random abilities and I will try to make him into an NBA player."

I can understand the argument that people are getting 99 rated players and dominating people online... but the arm sleeve argument? That's ridic. Especially considering that you will likely be making ****loads of money in the later myplayer years. What is the max salary? Winning rings... etc. lol

Like they said, you are supposed to have something to work for and if that makes you return your game, I don't know what to say.

Last thing I'll say is these things have value in the game and to the gamer more than they would for an NBA player. Think of it more as a benz for the game because it's a status symbol.

-Smak
Old 10-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #134
Pro

OVR: 5

Yes, getting drafted as an NBA prospect and then playing in the NBA is realistic. That's what NBA prospects do. Paying the equivalent of $800,000 for a sleeve is unrealistic on another level. That's a terrible comparison. Some people in this thread don't, and probably never will grasp what's happening here.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #135
Banned

Ken Griffery Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Realism is creating your own dude? If it was realistic, you'd be like "roll me a random dude with random abilities and I will try to make him into an NBA player."

I can understand the argument that people are getting 99 rated players and dominating people online... but the arm sleeve argument? That's ridic.
Good lord did you miss the point. *SMH*

MrBigShot1, and other people in this thread, understood exactly what I meant. Just because it's not "realistic" to create a human (virtual) being from scratch and craft them into an NBA superstar doesn't mean all other forms of realism associated with basketball can be thrown out the window. By that logic, what was the point of marketing that they included the new CBA? Or that historic teams are as accurate as possible? If we're going to go by the "Hey, the whole game isn't realistic" mentality, why not just replace Kareem on the '87 Lakers with the Yeti from NBA Street? It's because while you can get away with some unrealistic aspects, you must ground your game in some form of reality.

Even if your MP was earning 20,000 coins per year which, according to the example in my earlier post would be $20 million dollars, for him to pay the equivalent of $3 million dollars for an arm sleeve, sweater or whatever is outright ridiculous.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #136
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
I understand your point, I respect your stance...as I've purchased skill points for MLB 12: The Show, to bump up my fastball velocity from day one.

What I did not do was pay for the ability to change my style of batting gloves, or switch from an old-style helmet to a new one, or to give my guy shades. Plus when I shelled out my money for my skill points, I didn't have to choose between fastball velocity or a compression sleeve.

Surely you can understand our point, even if you don't agree with it??

Everything you did to your guy to make him unique, wouldn't have costed you a dime last year. This is the issue. It's inexplicable, and it can't legitimately be justified. Let's stop acting like earning enough VC to get a headband has anything to do with the game being a challenge, or your guy getting better...it's a headband people.

Look...I love 2K, been playing NBA 2K since the Dreamcast...haven't had a NBA Live game since Live '97 with Mitch Richmond on the cover. But I can still call 2K on it's BS. Let's not love a company/game to a fault to where you're acting like other people are being ridiculous for making valid points.

If YOU have no issue with paying for a headband...fine. I'll refrain from judging you, and say to each his own. But DO NOT compare buying in-game accessories, that have been in the game since the turn of the century - to a map pack DLC or song packs in one of those singing games. While people have arguments against both, at least you can also make the argument that it's new content being added.

Headbands, wristbands, rubberbands, knee-pads, finger tape, ankle braces, full sleevs, half-sleeves, etc. where ALL in the game for at least 2-3 years now. This unique look you were going for, that cost you 20,000 VC, was free last year. The justification for making you pay for it this year? Doesn't exist.

So while it's good that you're enjoying your experience with the game, and don't mind paying for minor items like a rubber band on your wrist...it would be cool if you didn't act like people were complaining about the price of the game or something.

I'd actually argue the opposite. BECAUSE it's a headband, it's not that big of a deal. My Player is a progression mode - do u guys not comprehend this? Maybe this $$ is going for a better online architecture, etc. I'm happy with the online this year because they got the main thing right -- FUNCTIONALITY. If they needed to make more $ for that to happen with the VC, then so be it. Plenty of companies do the DLC stuff because it's optional and it's fluff - not part of the core game. If we gotta play a few more games to rack up some VC to buy some special socks or something, so be it lol. Still think ppl talking about accessories like the game isn't the same if your my player doesn't have every item asap. Like I've said, we gonna be playing this game all year so there's plenty of time to rack up VC...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »