Home

NBA 2K13: Network problems, again ? ...

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13: Network problems, again ? ... within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 33
Re: NBA 2K13: Network problems, again ? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
I believe that 2k has their 'settings' too tight for online play other than ranked mode, where the settings are more 'open' for the masses.
yeap, you seem to be onto something ... can only play quick ranked matchs, the worst of all modes btw ... smh ...

reset my router and nothing, still cant play any other mode online , now it only says due to network problem ...

P.S (last minute edit):
Can confirm that it is not me the source of the problem but 2k, as I could play a teamup game with another user ... which isnt a fix but a workaround, nor even the ideal workaround as I lose everything and have to start from scratch ... and having 2k12 experience, would imply me doing this like 12 times or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoc22
I have no issues accessing 2k13 servers from my PS3. I haven't been able to access 2k13 servers from my xbox for past couple of weeks. Interestingly, I didn't have any trouble accessing the 2k12 servers from my xbox up until they took those down last week. What the heck?
2k12 servers were shut down ... as for you not experiencing the network issue, I didnt experienced with 2k13 until a few days back ... so sit tight and pray it doesnt hit you because if it does, you will feel overwhelm, powerless, abandon and full of rage.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 11-06-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #10
MVP

bigdoc85's Arena

OVR: 22

I am aware of 2k12 servers being shut down -- I was just trying to point out that up until November 1, I could access 2k servers for 2k12 but NOT 2k13 for Xbox. I still can't access 2k13 for Xbox so I've just decided to sell my Xbox version and keep the PS3. My hope was that there would be some better retro edited rosters to the Xbox version but it sounds like they may not reach the level of 2k12 due to tighter controls by 2k. Accordingly, I'll just get my retro fix with 2k12 on the Xbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffaacc03
2k12 servers were shut down ... as for you not experiencing the network issue, I didnt experienced with 2k13 until a few days back ... so sit tight and pray it doesnt hit you because if it does, you will feel overwhelm, powerless, abandon and full of rage.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
MVP

JasonWilliams55's Arena

OVR: 0

If you are having issues with connecting to online modes in NBA 2k12 or 13, please refer to the connection troubleshooting guide below:

Spoiler-ed all the common steps.

Spoiler

Understanding NAT Types:
NAT Types:
  1. Open
  2. Moderate
  3. Strict
  • Open NATs can connect to any of the three types. --> Probably the least common type
  • Moderate can only connect to open and moderate. --> Probably the most common type
  • Strict can ONLY connect to open.
Strict NATs are a difficult problem with peer-to-peer games. Since most people don't have open NATs, the player with a strict NAT won't be able to find many joinable games.

Also, if the player with a strict NAT does manage to join a game, if another player with a moderate NAT joins later, the player with the strict NAT gets kicked out.

The problem is even worse since it is sometimes difficult for software (i.e. Games for Windows Live) to detect which NAT type it is running behind, and can often report that the player has a moderate NAT when they actually have a strict NAT.

Another problem is that sometimes the ISP (Internet Service Provider) is also NAT'd which often means even if you have a direct connection to the internet (without a router/firewall), the ISP still acts as a strict NAT.

Port Forwarding:
The following Ports need to be open on your router to connect to the 2k servers:

TCP 80, UDP 88, UDP 3074, TCP 3074, UDP 53, TCP 53, UDP 3064, TCP 1795, TCP 1745, UDP 1795, UDP 1745

If you need assistance with opening these ports, please refer to the following website for more information (you will need to know your router brand and model, as the website guides are based on specific routers)

Here are some additional tips that have helped many players improve their connectivity:
1. Make sure your router's firmware is upgraded the latest version (very important).

2. Unplug your router for 10 minutes and plug it back in. Some older routers degrade in performance over time until it is rebooted, similar to a PC.

3. Disable any firewall or other network filtering for the game.

4. Enable uPnP (universal plug and play) on your router.

5. If you don't care about security, enable DMZ (de-militarized zone) on your router for your PC's address. This turns off all of your router's firewall features for that specific PC.

6. Get a router that has the "Xbox LIVE compatible" or "Certified for Windows Vista" logo.
7. Contact your ISP and ask them what your DNS setting should be.

Direct Connection:
If you are still having issues connecting to the online servers after trying the above steps, try connecting your broadband modem directly to the console or PC you are playing the game on. This can help determine if the issue is related directly to the router or another source.

Per; http://support.2k.com/entries/213270...ctivity-issues
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #12
MVP

bigdoc85's Arena

OVR: 22

Thanks for all of the info. Like I mentioned, I can connect on PS3 and could connect on 2k12 for the Xbox until the servers went down on November 1. For whatever reason, I just can't connect on 2k13 for the Xbox. I'm just going to stick with the PS3 version.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
MVP

Well, my workaround works no more ... and I am too "old" to have to create a different user for each game of the OA I play or for whenever I want to play teamup game or face a friend onlne.

Hopefully 2k provides a fix or workaround for this issue, recurrent since 2k12 ... between this issue (only suffered with NBA 2K) and the apparent current trend to limit and obvy editing, I am forseeing no further 2k games until after they genuinely upgrade and expand their online plattaform and editing tools ... specially the latest since I use to play more offline, thus is irritating not to be able to play online ... if they keep sellinng well, maybe in 2k15 ?

Sincere thanks for your help Jayson, as you have showed me (a extranger, thus an OSer collegue) more interest on helping me than 2k has.

P.S:
In sum, good for you bigdoc, bad for me I guess, cant get back to a 360, have to stay on my PS3 ... but again, I didnt suffered this issue since day 1, just since a few days back, therefor there are no guarantees that it wont happen to you on PS3 as well ... but dont worry, am praying for you and all others not to suffer this issue.

Last edited by ffaacc03; 11-08-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Yeah I just started having the problem . Can't even finish a game and racking up loses. Btw Ffacc03 I just added you. Found a fix yet?
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 12-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
Yeah I just started having the problem . Can't even finish a game and racking up loses. Btw Ffacc03 I just added you. Found a fix yet?
The above post by JW works, try it out (nat port forwarding) ... just that if your device is like mine, you may have to do it frequently.

Anyways, would be great if 2K could do something to help us out ... its a shame that by todays standards they cant provide for a smooth and wider online experience ... this is the only company out there whose games I have ever had trouble connecting online with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Yikes ... that seems like a lot. Ill prolly just trade this in...
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »