Home

NBA 2k14 Dribbling Questions and Tips

This is a discussion on NBA 2k14 Dribbling Questions and Tips within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NBA 2k14's Dribbling questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasheemTheDream
Yeah it's 2k13's scheme. L2 and x triggers a bounce pass like last year, but x and square does a fake pass now.
Try L2 and A or X on the Ps3. I'm going to boot the game up and see if I can confirm it, this is just a guess.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Alley-oops cannot be triggered when you switch Pro Stick control to 2k13 settings. It's an issue that we will need to address in a patch. Sorry.

For those who have decided to switch back to last year's Pro Stick controls, my advice would be to give the default controls a chance. We'll try to keep supporting the legacy controls but I can't promise they'll be around forever.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Alley-oops cannot be triggered when you switch Pro Stick control to 2k13 settings. It's an issue that we will need to address in a patch. Sorry.

For those who have decided to switch back to last year's Pro Stick controls, my advice would be to give the default controls a chance. We'll try to keep supporting the legacy controls but I can't promise they'll be around forever.
What about the fact that we cannot decide anymore wich hand we want to finish our layups with? Is it by design or is it an issue?

Thanks for posting here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #12
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

Someone asked about spin layups in a different thread. To pull them off, drive toward the hoop, throw the RS toward the player's ball hand then quickly spin the stick around the player's back and keep it held (don't return to neutral first.) Your player will start a dribble spin move and then branch into a spinning layup.

Someone else asked about half spins. They're really easy this year. Throw the RS toward the player's ball hand and then twirl the stick toward the basket and let go.

Cross spins and Cross half-spins are simple as well. For a cross spin, throw the RS toward the player's offhand (like you would for a crossover), then quickly twirl the RS around the player's back then let go. For a cross half-spin, throw the RS toward the player's offhand then roll it toward the hoop and let go.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #13
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
What about the fact that we cannot decide anymore wich hand we want to finish our layups with? Is it by design or is it an issue?

Thanks for posting here.
Sort of both. The way we originally had it working, the shooter would try to find a layup as close to the direction the RS was held... so essentially, doing what you're asking for (letting you pick the finish direction.)

But in our play tests, a great number of people pushed toward the basket to get a regular layup, expecting the shooter to automatically avoid defenders. The problem is, most people are inaccurate with their stick throws, so even though they thought they were pushing slightly to the left of the rim to finish on that side, they were actually aiming toward the right and putting the ball right into the defense. So my shot system engineer spent a great deal of time working on shot selection algorithms to pick the best layup given the shooter's drive angle and defender proximity. This work greatly benefited shot button users btw. So after much back and forth, we made the decision to use the auto-shot selection code instead of the literal follow the stick method. In 5-on-5 gameplay, we just found that it was beneficial to more users.

Having said that, I'm working with my engineer to try and bring the finish hand selection back. It will definitely be there in the NextGen version and hopefully make it into the current gen patch as well.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Thanks a lot man, I was really wondering about this.

Why not make it an option in the settings? By default it's on auto but peeps that enjoys having control can set it to manual?

I think that might be the best option. Thanks again.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

Thank you beluba for taking the time out to do this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Escape Dribbles:

I can't get similar escape dribbles using the pro stick (I'm aware circle doesn't trigger them this year) - any tips of how to pull a basic one off? Right now I'm using the "basic escape" and then doing whatever dribble move fits the situation but I'm having trouble pulling off something like Wade's classic step back between the leg dribble escape pull up.

Dribbling In The Post:

I'm struggling pulling off simple things in the post this year like leaning to create space. Is it still in there? I've been trying for awhile now and can't get it to engage.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by JerzeyReign; 10-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »