Home

NBA 2k14 Dribbling Questions and Tips

This is a discussion on NBA 2k14 Dribbling Questions and Tips within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #25
MVP

JasonWilliams55's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k14's Dribbling questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w
Protect dribble? What's this? I don't see this in the Advanced Controls thread anywhere.
Just press Y/Triangle, its the same button as Post Up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 10

Is there a way to do signature gathers leading into a jump shot like when u hit the B button of a stand still last year?
Committed 2 page, I write a rhyme, sometimes won't finish 4 days
Scrutinize my literature from the large 2 the miniature
I mathematically ADD minister
Subtract the wack, Selector, wheel it back I'm feelin that!

Last edited by Rebel_INS; 10-03-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWilliams55
Just press Y/Triangle, its the same button as Post Up.
Oh, okay - gotcha! Thanks.

Nice avatar, btw
Old 10-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #28
Gameplay Director, NBA2k

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel_INS
Is there a way to do signature gathers leading into a jump shot like when u hit the B button of a stand still last year?
Sig gathers from 13 are gone. Instead of playing out canned dribble to shot sequences, I wanted users to be able to chain moves and shots together to have the freedom to create those types of gathers on their own. I'd have to go back and look at the animations from last year, but I'm pretty sure you can do nearly the exact same things this year by chaining certain things together.

For example, one of them started with a behind the back launch from a stand. This year, you do that by starting a standing behind the back move and then immediately moving the Left Stick toward the off hand. Instead of playing a normal behind the back sizeup dribble, he'll do a behind the back launch. There are a lot of break out points within the various iso moves that allow you to create very different looking outcomes. The Left Stick and Right Stick work together that way.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Sort of both. The way we originally had it working, the shooter would try to find a layup as close to the direction the RS was held... so essentially, doing what you're asking for (letting you pick the finish direction.)

But in our play tests, a great number of people pushed toward the basket to get a regular layup, expecting the shooter to automatically avoid defenders. The problem is, most people are inaccurate with their stick throws, so even though they thought they were pushing slightly to the left of the rim to finish on that side, they were actually aiming toward the right and putting the ball right into the defense. So my shot system engineer spent a great deal of time working on shot selection algorithms to pick the best layup given the shooter's drive angle and defender proximity. This work greatly benefited shot button users btw. So after much back and forth, we made the decision to use the auto-shot selection code instead of the literal follow the stick method. In 5-on-5 gameplay, we just found that it was beneficial to more users.

Having said that, I'm working with my engineer to try and bring the finish hand selection back. It will definitely be there in the NextGen version and hopefully make it into the current gen patch as well.
That sounds fantastic. Regarding inaccurate stick throws, would it help to have the stick have a bit of a deadzone, so that deflection towards the slight left/right of the basket leads to the use of the auto-shot selection code, and more explicit displacement of the stick leads to a forced left/right handed layup?

Would it be possible to bring back manual reverse dunk as well (we don't really need RS-back *and* RT+RS-back for runners).

I'm also curious about the philosophy behind changing the euro-step controls. Is RS-left/right layup now meant to be thought of as a general sidestep-avoidance layup which might not always be an explicit euro-step? It seems that not every side-layup triggered results in the classic Manu-Wade-Harden euro-step with huge side-steps, but might trigger other avoidance layups with appropriate ball protection moves on the way to the hole.

If the change was made so that you still control when to do a side-step avoidance layup, but without having classic euro-step layups trigger for inappropriate players, that actually makes a lot of sense.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #30
MVP

sirjam's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Sig gathers from 13 are gone. Instead of playing out canned dribble to shot sequences, I wanted users to be able to chain moves and shots together to have the freedom to create those types of gathers on their own. I'd have to go back and look at the animations from last year, but I'm pretty sure you can do nearly the exact same things this year by chaining certain things together.

For example, one of them started with a behind the back launch from a stand. This year, you do that by starting a standing behind the back move and then immediately moving the Left Stick toward the off hand. Instead of playing a normal behind the back sizeup dribble, he'll do a behind the back launch. There are a lot of break out points within the various iso moves that allow you to create very different looking outcomes. The Left Stick and Right Stick work together that way.
so its possible to do the Ginobili move also known as the Shammgod and a move Kyrie using now?
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #31
MVP

jersez's Arena

OVR: 15

Does the adaptive AI also apply to dribbling moves, as I see the cpu defender don't bit as nearly as much as they used to in nba 2k13.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #32
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersez
Does the adaptive AI also apply to dribbling moves, as I see the cpu defender don't bit as nearly as much as they used to in nba 2k13.

Interesting, they could be using our VIP/ go to moves against us. That might not be realistic depending on how you think about it. Some moves are done based off how the d is playing you IRL. The D should either trail the offense move or move prior giving a clue of what they are trying to stop. Hopefully next gen will bring about a different AI defender to human interaction. They need some physics for this IMO and human like guessing. Something like this

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »