Home

NBA 2k13 PC Requirements?

This is a discussion on NBA 2k13 PC Requirements? within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 25
NBA 2k13 PC Requirements?

Wat are the requirements for the PC? is it similar to NBA 2k12?
Fav NFL team: Giants
Fav NBA player: Dwyane Wade
Fav NFL player: Victor(y) Cruz
New York Giants Superbowl XLVI CHAMPIONS!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13
Re: NBA 2k13 PC Requirements?

No announcement on them yet, but the graphics engine hasn't changed from previous years, so I'm guessing they should be pretty much the same.
Novato, CA, USA
Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 25

I emailed Ronnie and he said the PC requirements are similar to 2k12
Fav NFL team: Giants
Fav NBA player: Dwyane Wade
Fav NFL player: Victor(y) Cruz
New York Giants Superbowl XLVI CHAMPIONS!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:26 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 8

After seeing the awesome mods out there, I just went ahead and bought 2K12 for PC (most likely will get 2K13 for PC as well later on, preordered for XB for the ASW stuff), bought the wireless receiver for the XB controller, and just waiting for them to be delivered. Pretty good deal at Newegg, $9.99, no tax, free shipping. Solely on the strength of the Ult. Base Roster mod. Just amazing.

Question though: are these specs sufficient to run 2K12?

HP Desktop (Win 7 Home Premium 64bit)
Connected to a 55' Sammy LCD via VGA at 1920 x 1080(p)
Pentium Dual Core 2.7Ghz
5GB RAM (upgradeable to 8GB)
750 GB SATA HDD (375GB free)
Integrated Intel GMA X4500 HD graphics (This from what I've read is what "hurts" most for gaming
3 Expansion Bays, supports PCI Express x16 graphics card
250W Power Supply (I'm aware some cards will require their own power; my main objective though is to be able to play 2K12 & most likely 2K13 on at least Med settings).

Advice? I wishlisted a "Sapphire Radeon HD6670 1 GB DDR3 VGA/DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card" on Amazon but as I am completely new to this stuff, wanted to make sure/see what else I might need.

I almost wish I didn't stumble into this forum man lol, because I just know after seeing these mods, I will NOT rest until I am playing it right here on my TV. I'm willing to spend a lil bit, and who knows, I'm even starting to feel like I should abandon the consoles altogether for my basketball fix. I never, ever play online, only single player and User v. User when my friends/brothers are here (which seems like way too much lol), and this stuff is just too incredible to miss.

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Wife: "Of course he's going out to get his 2K game at 12am, like he can't wait til tomorrow."
Wife's mom: "Be grateful that's what he's running out at midnight for."
Old 09-24-2012, 06:24 AM   #5

Well, my recommendation for a good 60FPS steady experience (I can't stand stuttering in sports games, as much as I don't mind it in FPS games for example) would be a dual-core CPU with at least 3.2GHz on the clock (although overclocking is there for the more experienced/adventurous), a standalone GPU with decent juice (although NBA 2K12 didn't tax my NVidia GTX 460 more than 30%) and to get all that on your PC, you'll definitely need a better PSU.

Your PSU is at the absolute bare minimum, so any upgrade is a no-go with it.

Sounds to me like you're up for a major upgrade if you're to enjoy 2K12 on your PC on 1080p 60FPS. An i3 + an NVidia 550Ti + a decent 450W PSU would cost you around 300 euros (~$400) here in Greece, so keep that in mind.

You might get decent performance out of lower specs as well, but I haven't been able to enjoy 2K12 on anything less than 60FPS on my monitor's native resolution (1080p), that's why I'm recommending this. Up to you and how much money you can/want to spend.
Novato, CA, USA
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

Appreciate it. Looks like I should just get what you suggested. Found an i3 2120 dual-core at 3.3Ghz for around $100-120 online. Looks like everything altogether may be around $300-350, not bad at all.

I'm pretty close to deciding to just transition all the way to PC for hoops gaming, so either way is worth it.

WAITING FOR:
Fallout 4

Wife: "Of course he's going out to get his 2K game at 12am, like he can't wait til tomorrow."
Wife's mom: "Be grateful that's what he's running out at midnight for."
Old 09-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLLIDAY1183
Appreciate it. Looks like I should just get what you suggested. Found an i3 2120 dual-core at 3.3Ghz for around $100-120 online. Looks like everything altogether may be around $300-350, not bad at all.

I'm pretty close to deciding to just transition all the way to PC for hoops gaming, so either way is worth it.
I had the misfortune last year right around the end of October of having both my laptop and 360 die on me. So I decided to build a decent gaming PC, my specs are in my sig. I hear the intel chips are better suited for hardcore gaming so you might want to go that route but for me my rig has not given me any issues.

The main thought I wanted to throw in was that right now I'm pretty much bridging the gap between the last few years of this console generation and the upcoming one. I'll probably buy the next xbox a bit after it eventually comes out but in the meantime I don't feel like I'm missing out and I'm getting better graphical performance and usually paying a cheaper price. For example I pre-ordered NBA 2k13 from amazon for $26 and I don't think I've purchased a single game for my pc over $30.

I had never been a PC gamer before this build, purely consoles. But I don't feel like I'm missing out; on the contrary, I feel like I've given myself access to games that I wouldn't have played on consoles.

The best part about building from scratch is your capability to upgrade. A lot of times with store bought systems, it's difficult to upgrade because the motherboard is taylor made for that system's components. But there are lots of guys here who can give more experienced input on that.

Anyways, good look if you decide to join the club
Old 09-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #8

Like clipperfan811 said, make sure your motherboard supports the upgrade to the i3 processor. I'm just basing my not recommending you should buy a new one on your current CPU, which I would fare to guess is a 1755 socket, so the i3 processor should be compatible.

You should also make sure that you get a decent 450W PSU, not the cheapest one there, because some may say 450W on the label, but the most of the juice they can get out can be all too little for your new components. Your i3 shouldn't tax the system much power-wise, but depending on what GPU you get, you might want to make sure you throw some extra money on the PSU.

Also, I might add that 450W is a proper wattage for the system I've just suggested and the one I have currently, but it doesn't give you much room upgrade-wise, unless you dig deep to find really power-efficient components.
Novato, CA, USA

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »