Home

NBA Live 18 - The One Details, Including Playstyles

This is a discussion on NBA Live 18 - The One Details, Including Playstyles within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2017, 10:51 AM   #33
Pro

goledensilence's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Live 18 - The One Details, Including Playstyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdurantmvp
I can see it now that you can be a streetball legend and never play one game in the nba. And still improve your player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is exactly the route I'm trying to take. Outside of MyTeam, the only thing I care about is street ball.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #34
Rookie

texasgmr's Arena

OVR: 19

I for one am excited to see what this title will be like this year. This mode will be great.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #35
Armchair GM

TecmoZack's Arena

OVR: 7

Pumped to be a hybrid wing. Go time!!!!

On the Xbox - xPonchoChief
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #36
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0

When you guys were on that EA page and looking at playstyles did yall see that a lot of the traits were built around TEAMWORK? Like the Curry playstles, said the more assists you get the better youll shoot. I think they got that DIRECTLY from 2k's complaints. Everybody hates ballhogging sharpshooters who shoot contested 3s off screens and ruin the game. So EA puts a STACKABLE boost on its sharpshooter archetype. That is genius. That will lead to ALOT of passing in the online modes.

Also I really liked all the big man archetypes and I am VERY excited that there aren't specific archetypes for dunking, and rebounding. Those are athletic based factors that should not have its own archetype and I immediately thought this when I looked at the last few 2ks. Also those archetypes seemed to not be as impactful as the others. I mean I am a post scorer and because I work hard at getting in position and boxing out I rarely ever get outrebounded by glass cleaners. I always thought that archetype was a waste. I also thought athletic ability having its own archetype was dumb. Being able to jump high, dunk, and finish in traffic is not worthy of a whole archetype. Those are just individual attributes that some guys are good in. Meaning ANY playstype can be athletic. You can be an uber athletic post scorer. You can be an uber athletic stretch 4. 2k was dumb for grouping athletic ability into one archetype. If I work hard enough on my physical ability and my body type allows it I should be able to finish in traffic no matter my archetype.

Right now im deadlocked between making a post anchor and a post scorer in August. I hope EA answers a few questions by that time and if they do my choice will be easy.

1. How much does the post defense rating matter? In 2k you don't have to upgrade your defense at all if you are a post player. All you have to do is upgrade your strength. Then after that all you do is don't bite on pump fakes and you are good. If its all based on stick skill then theres really no use in picking post anchor because the balance of being a better defender than the post scorer would mean nothing in the end.

2. What the heck is post vision trait? Is that dimer from the post. I take pride in passing well from the post. If that post vision trait is indeed a post dimer type boost then my mind is probably made up.

3. What the heck was the dribbling trait on the post scorer. If that ends up being a trait that makes it so you cant lose the ball in the post my mind is probably 99% made up on picking it.

4. Final question I hope is answered by August is the ratings of the primary and secondary archetype ratings. I saw that post moves was in the primary category for the post anchor and post scorer. So does that mean they'll have the same ratings for hook, and turnaround? If that's true then its gonna be really hard not picking post anchor, because that one also has post defense as a primary. How it seems worded it seems like post anchors will have good post moves but their finish % will be lower than post scorers. They have contested shot as a secondary skill and a draw foul trait. So I assume that post scorers will get a lot of and-1s against users and will be hard to stop, while post anchors wont be able to hit contested layups so they essentially will have to rely more on making good post moves. and passing when they need to. Hence EA's decision to give them a trait called post vision.

Last edited by Housh123; 06-18-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #37
Pro

kdurantmvp's Arena

OVR: 2

anybody that played live 16, was it possible to Max out all attributes? Like say if I was a center, could I max out passing and rebounding if I was a stretch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2017, 12:18 AM   #38
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housh123
When you guys were on that EA page and looking at playstyles did yall see that a lot of the traits were built around TEAMWORK? Like the Curry playstles, said the more assists you get the better youll shoot. I think they got that DIRECTLY from 2k's complaints. Everybody hates ballhogging sharpshooters who shoot contested 3s off screens and ruin the game. So EA puts a STACKABLE boost on its sharpshooter archetype. That is genius. That will lead to ALOT of passing in the online modes.

Also I really liked all the big man archetypes and I am VERY excited that there aren't specific archetypes for dunking, and rebounding. Those are athletic based factors that should not have its own archetype and I immediately thought this when I looked at the last few 2ks. Also those archetypes seemed to not be as impactful as the others. I mean I am a post scorer and because I work hard at getting in position and boxing out I rarely ever get outrebounded by glass cleaners. I always thought that archetype was a waste. I also thought athletic ability having its own archetype was dumb. Being able to jump high, dunk, and finish in traffic is not worthy of a whole archetype. Those are just individual attributes that some guys are good in. Meaning ANY playstype can be athletic. You can be an uber athletic post scorer. You can be an uber athletic stretch 4. 2k was dumb for grouping athletic ability into one archetype. If I work hard enough on my physical ability and my body type allows it I should be able to finish in traffic no matter my archetype.

4. Final question I hope is answered by August is the ratings of the primary and secondary archetype ratings.
I like that as well. I like that it has a incentive to be a good teammate and that your play can dictate how your ratings are increased. So if you play good on-ball defense, you could get a boost to that rating. So basically play to your skill and get rewarded for it.

From watching the trailer again. The primary has at least a max of 94, so probably can be possibly be 99. As far as Secondary, I saw one rating be 87. So, the max for those could be 88-90.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 AM   #39
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I see they made some changes to the EA website about the playstyles. They made some corrections to the height cap of wings and bigs. For wings it was originally was 6'11, now they changed it to 6'9. For Bigs, it was 7'11. Now it is 7'1, even though if you use the drop down bar for playstyles it still says 7'11. I like the 6'9 cap for wings. Mainly because I wouldn't want to see 6'10-11 Wings at the SG spot. I like the 7'1 cap for Bigs, but 7'2 would have been better.

I don't believe there will a story element to "The One". But I do want to know what is the background element of it. I know they don't want to have users grind offline to boost player for Online. But will there be a draft/pre-draft or is it something where you just select a playstyle and just select a team. I don't play Online, so I hope it isn't just very bland for the season
Old 06-19-2017, 05:52 AM   #40
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

TBH I like the 7'1 cap. I hate 7'3 caps . Never seen many skilled 7'3 centers. And it makes having 6'11 , 6'10 bigs almost obsolete
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »