Home

NBA Live 18 - Demo Impressions

This is a discussion on NBA Live 18 - Demo Impressions within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #49
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Live 18 - Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justonepost
-Live 16 shooting was better

-Live 16 dribbling was better

-Live 15 still has the best collision animations

-The commentary hasn't added anything. JVG still saying Curry the reigning MVP and all other lines were in 15 and 16.

-Post moves and positioning in 18 is very good.

-Layups and floaters are pretty good this year

-I don't get why the players STILL do that auto behind the back dribble. It's ugly and unnatural.

-The turn arounds from backing in are ugly too. Like they were mo-capped by someone picking up a ball for the first time.

I don't know if this series can use this groundwork to ever build a great game and also not sure if it's worth scrapping it and starting from scratch yet again. There's just too much wrong with the game and I've never done so much head shaking in my life. The producers and people in charge need to go with some of the things they've built into this game. I've never been so disappointed and let down.
Feel the same, game is really bad in all aspects and i just dont see a way how it can be improved with this system

Wysłane z mojego LG-H525n przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #50
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
I haven't found a single camera I like when you're controlling just one guy. You either can't see people or it's way too far from you.
player lock camera

Xbox GT: Hunkerdown
Mixer: HUNKERDOWN
Sports Franchises:
Madden 17 - Falcons
FIFA 17 - Everton
NBA 2K16 -Hawks
Old 08-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #51
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph33
I keep accidentally tapping square to do certain moves to get shots off the bounce, because I'm so used to 2k's controls.

As for shooting, yeah, it's a little uncomfortable so far. But my mind is so ingrained with the way 2k plays that I have to remind myself to do things here a little differently.
I've played every next gen Live so I can flip that switch, lol. I think the way they did step backs is brilliant, wish everything was that smooth. Like El_Poop has preached the last couple of years subtle steps are needed to make pull ups, moving shots feel more natural IMO
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #52
Rookie

dewjo's Arena

OVR: 3

Is there any way to re-play the initial Drew League 5-on-5 game when you first start the demo? I've gone thru the first two chapters of The One and the Play Now section only allows the Cavs vs. Warriors. If not, does any know if we'll be able to play full 5-on-5 games on the Pro-Am courts outside of The One mode?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #53
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

So, finished up the storyline. I played exceedingly well with my playmaker guard as the games wore on -- went down to both Harden in the Drew League and the whatever one Kemba was on, but battled back. My teammates hit their shots, I drove and dished, and we won.

I finished up as a 74 overall but scored a 100 in my combine performance -- dominated the game, 18 points, 3 assists, 4 rebounds. I ended up getting drafted 1st overall -- I'm a 76er! I'm quite pleased with that.

Final thoughts for the night:

1. Really enjoyed my play all the way around in The One mode. Definitely fun and the players, by and large, perform solidly. I question how passive some guys are (namely the stars in the various leagues -- I passed to both Leonard and Durant often, but they didn't shoot more than twice) and how aggressive some guys are (I managed to get McGee to 10 points, he was feasting inside and it seemed out of character to me).

2. Dribbling is FUN. I got some great floaters/runners after using my dribble animations to get by guys or create some space.

3. Shooting is hit or miss ... I haven't quite mastered getting space for myself. The mechanics are a bit mechanical, but I'm not against that.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #54
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwall
Curious if you were holding LT when getting the automatic rebound jumps.

Also, did you make a rim protector? And what was your block rating?
I had a 80 block rating and yes i was holding LT . Why did you guy implement auto rebounding assist?
Old 08-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #55
Pro

Ragnar53's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwall
Haha, yea. But with enough practice, I'm sure you could do both.
Random question(s) while you are still browsing the forums.

Any particular reason for the cutoff for online play at level 20 instead of say level 25?

This is going to sound really really rediculous. Trust me, what I'm about to suggest is nothing more than a pipe dream and I can understand why it won't be possible. But any way to simply patch the ability to still play online past level 20? An easy fix would be to just lock the upgrades out past 20 (while still accumulating them for the base game if someone wants to carry over)?

I do have a gameplay related question. So. When you are operating out of the triple threat and you do a stepback dribble is the rating being used to influence the shot the Shot Off Dribble rating? The Mid Range rating? Post Move rating? Combination of all 3?

Same goes for doing a post fadeaway or a stepback out of the post. Is it going strictly off the Post Move rating, Mid Range rating or Shot off Dribble rating? Or a combination of them?

Because I noticed with my Post Anchor that I could get a couple post stepback and fades to drop at about a 2/5 clip or 40% rate, but once I unlocked my Mid Range and got a couple buckets to go in they were going in at around a 4/5 rate. Which suggests to me that it's a combination of Mid Range and Post Moves.

Also, is triple threat effectiveness tied to the Dribble rating? I noticed that it wasn't all that effective to face up as a Post Anchor (which is why I was saddened Hybrid Wing was taken out of the demo. You don't know how badly I wanted to recreate Melo) and that I had a much easier time using jab steps to shift people out of position with a Slasher and Wing Scorer (who get the Counter Moves trait to make it all the more easier).

Also, I am enjoying the demo, just some questions are puzzling me. Going to experiment in the post more. I do like how ya'll have the stepbacks this year tho. They are real nice. Haven't been able to do Derozan's signature hesitation into sidestep/stepback yet. Or, at least I haven't gotten it to fall.

Last edited by Ragnar53; 08-10-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #56
Rookie

texasgmr's Arena

OVR: 19
NBA Live 18 - Demo Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratedmoney
Let me get this out the way, NBA LIVE IS BACK. Controls are very responsive at the same time it's smooth. Live is notorious for those robotic animations and it's still there to a degree. But it doesn't feel robotic and stiff. The game feels smooth. The right stick dribbling is fun. You don't get stuck in animations, you have control and can chain together some nice crossovers. Graphically Live has the best looking arenas hands down. Player models are improved but the other guys still have the better looking players overall. Gonna dig into the demo some more and post more impressions, but I can confidently say the game is legit gameplay wise. And no this isn't me just being hyped or excited for a new game.

LIVE has always had the presentation side nailed down. But hearing a lot more about gameplay is a huge plus.

Thanks to those that have already given us their feedback as I will look to give my impressions next week on is as I work the weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »