Home

Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism.

This is a discussion on Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism. within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #137
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
How much freedom is too much? There's no traveling calls or anything to worry about as the dribbler. Wow there's obviously issues with the animation branching or there's no limitation. If there is why not display that in the demo.

https://youtu.be/SDI2jv2JMfE

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
yea that was pretty bad, however id rather both games lean more towards "free movement". in a perfect world theyd both master this in their own ways. as for right now though id rather weird or ugly free movement as opposed to beautiful animations that i cant branch out of
Old 08-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #138
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

And that's why I can't take most of you guys serious or this game right now. This thread was a very bad idea. There should be freedom as long as it's realistic. Will everyone be doing ugly looking game breaking things, no.. but it shouldn't looked over either.

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 08-17-2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #139
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

Ok this was a positive and sort of negative at the same time. First time I've seen a loss of ball animation, but was it necessary? I'm sure Zaza is capable of a simple dribble spin especially with no resistance from the defender.

Ok that was officially my last post possibly on the NBA Live side of things until the official release.

https://youtu.be/YZ_Zy1avCyA

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 08-17-2017 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 01:51 PM   #140
Pro

blk5tar5's Arena

Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism.

Quote:
Also from yesterday this what i was talking about with the ball handler running through people not respecting physics

https://youtu.be/YFoTUGrwePc

You're correct! Granted nba live took a year off to try to give the competition something to fear. Is this a polish game no. Is there room for improvement of course. Bottom line is the key word you said once the devs on both sides find the right program/ code to keep the "physics" of ball movement with hand and feet and everything else then will have a decent game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-17-2017, 02:03 PM   #141
Pro

^^^honestly, i think its hope for something different. im in that boat. i do really believe this game FEELS more like basketball than the other game.

i dont think live will be better than 2k for a good while. but what its achieved with the demo is something different, that excells at some of things that have a lot of us frustrated with 2k. if i have a viable option to play something that doesnt frustrate me or represents the flow of basketball better im going to shout my excitement from the rooftops. also, ALL GAMERS DO THIS LOL - when we get a new game, especially yearly sports titles we see things through rosey glasses because its new. weve had no choice but to play the other game no matter how ignored we felt by the product. so now that theres at least a playable second option, we see it through the prism of "yes! im not forced to play 2k this year"

once the game is fully released, 2 weeks later this forum will be flooded with "cmon ea, fix this fix that this game is trash" its just the way it is.

we all see basketball different and will have our preferences as to which represents our vision of basketball best. i want both games to continue to progress and push each other. when theres only one option, all of us lose
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #142
Pro

Quote:
And that's why I can't take most of you guys serious or this game right now. This thread was a very bad idea. There should be freedom as long as it's realistic. Will everyone be doing ugly looking game breaking things, no.. but it shouldn't looked over either.

not one person here that i see say overlook the obviously horrific stuff we see or vids that have been shown. there is no way you can overlook a guy going thru someones body. there is no way you can completely overlook someone doing a hesitation dribble and never putting the ball back down while still moving(travelling) but travelling is never called.

But with that said. Some of us HATE. and I mean this in the nicest way possible. but we HATE overproduced canned animations between multiple players. where you dont have the control. we dont care how good it LOOKS. if i didnt press that button in that manner why is my guy doing that thing? Makes no sense to some of us. we hate it, hate it, hate it.

There have been basketball games I've played in the past before it was just super 2k vs little ole live, and nobody else. When there were a good 3 or so games out at once and live was clearly in the lead. I played these other games looking for more realism and more freedom. Some of those games had horrible graphics. But the gameplay was actually more realistic. Most of my friends could not see what me and a select couple of friends could see.

It's the diamond in the rough analogy. We can see that shine coming thru the ugliness in live or in any hoop game that gives us the ability to decide what we're doing on the court(defense or offense.)

If someone were to ask me which game would you rather watch someone play. it would be 2k hands down, all day, every day, and twice on sundays.

If they asked me which game would you want to play...well that depends. Can I stomach NBA Live's rough stuff, to see the shine of freedom?
Because that is literally the only question some of us have. we already know what 2k is about. And we dont like the fact its over produced to make it look really nice where we feel we dont have control.

So in the end. Yes, some of us are willing to sacrifice her looks for her brains.you can date a hot not so bright person, but i would never marry someone that wasnt bright.just cant do it.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #143
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
The one thing I worry about in H2H is the dribbling in traffic....I csnt recall seeing a situation where a guy has lost the ball from dribbling in a crowd.

That rarely happens in either game.

Let me remind you guys that live and 2k at the same time(who remembers the year?) the live ball physics. Do you guys remember how 2k admitted to having to tone it down a bit?

They did this because people were complaining like crazy about losing the ball all the time due to bumping into the back of their own players or defenders. more or less bouncing the ball off guys feet, backs, elbows, arms,etc. we're not talking about actual steals.

This was also the time when you could actually run out of bounds a lot easier. that cut that back as well. why? because people couldn't deal with it.

There is some truth and even i hate to admit this. when going the legit physics route. is that we have to realize unless you're playing on a first person view or at worse a player lock camera angle. where you can see up close what your guys sees and not the entire court (like most of us like.) you will end up doing things that you can see you're actually doing because any other view outside of a first person or player lock view will have you too far from the action. you can't tell if you're really about to dribble off your defenders knee or not.

That video that was shown previously of kyrie running up pachu's back but nothing happening with the ball is a result of nba 2k's findings. that most people are not ready and most people dont play on the proper view to deal with truly real ball physics and the ball being live at all times. meaning if you bump the ball into someone or something. its going to get loose.
I could deal with it because I'm willing to play on that angle if need be. and I'm willing to work at it. most are not. most want instant gratification. This is why the spam dribbling works so well in the other game. you can spam dribble moves while a guy is standing right there. where the ball should've been bounced off his knee cap, arm, body, etc. but nope. physics is not respected. so they can keep doing it over and over. this means the next installment the devs have to patch it out the game. You hear in the other game they are talking about taking out the Hop step to the side dribble you do with the Shoot button. thats because that move does not respect people/defenders standing on that side at all. if it did defense would be a lot more enjoyable and those spam dribblers would whine about it to 2k devs.

We're not talking bad about either game per se. just stating the reality of why true real live ball physics is hard to pull off and what happens if you do pull it off. why it seems to work for a small few and not for most users.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #144
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
not one person here that i see say overlook the obviously horrific stuff we see or vids that have been shown. there is no way you can overlook a guy going thru someones body. there is no way you can completely overlook someone doing a hesitation dribble and never putting the ball back down while still moving(travelling) but travelling is never called.

But with that said. Some of us HATE. and I mean this in the nicest way possible. but we HATE overproduced canned animations between multiple players. where you dont have the control. we dont care how good it LOOKS. if i didnt press that button in that manner why is my guy doing that thing? Makes no sense to some of us. we hate it, hate it, hate it.

There have been basketball games I've played in the past before it was just super 2k vs little ole live, and nobody else. When there were a good 3 or so games out at once and live was clearly in the lead. I played these other games looking for more realism and more freedom. Some of those games had horrible graphics. But the gameplay was actually more realistic. Most of my friends could not see what me and a select couple of friends could see.

It's the diamond in the rough analogy. We can see that shine coming thru the ugliness in live or in any hoop game that gives us the ability to decide what we're doing on the court(defense or offense.)

If someone were to ask me which game would you rather watch someone play. it would be 2k hands down, all day, every day, and twice on sundays.

If they asked me which game would you want to play...well that depends. Can I stomach NBA Live's rough stuff, to see the shine of freedom?
Because that is literally the only question some of us have. we already know what 2k is about. And we dont like the fact its over produced to make it look really nice where we feel we dont have control.

So in the end. Yes, some of us are willing to sacrifice her looks for her brains.you can date a hot not so bright person, but i would never marry someone that wasnt bright.just cant do it.
All I'm gonna say is go back and read the responses. It was either they don't see it or they're okay with it. That to me is over looking instead acknowledging it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »