Home

Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism.

This is a discussion on Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism. within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #17
MVP

young22's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
lol this sounds like a person who wasn't very good at the game. There are loads of canned animations in this game too, so i wish people would stop saying that crap. Lack luster? No dribble drive? I can show you plenty of videos of me and other people dribbling with skill and driving.

You probably think I'm a 2K fanboy by my words, but I'm not, I rip 2K on various issues.

Seriously though at least wait until the game releases before you start saying a demo is better than a full game.

Neither game has everything right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
I won upwards of 75% of my games on 2k16. Online and offline. Offline I played HOF with someone's sliders, I forget who. I could beat the CPU pretty easily, but it wasn't fun or realistic at all. 2k17 was garbage. I did pretty well on it, but it wasn't fun at all. Picked it up Black Friday, sold it 2 weeks later.

In both games, the dribble drive is awful. 2k17 in particular. You can't ever just get someone on your hip and go to the rim. Look at the NBA. ****, go play some ball. If someone of similar speed is up on you, any decent hooper can blow by them. If it's someone significantly slower (i.e guard vs big in PnR) , say goodbye. You're either fouling me, I'm getting a bucket, or I'm making a pass to someone open. Simple. In 2k, you have to spam dribble moves just to get half a step.

The game is so animation heavy it's ridiculous, I hate getting sucked into animations when I didn't do anything. Morphing is at an all-time high in those games.

I never said Live has everything right btw. I just posted today in the impressions thread some things that need to be looked at. I just said it's refreshing that the game isn't so animation heavy, that you have freedom. And The One is a hell of a lot better than MyCareer has been the last 2 years.

I feel like a lot of y'all who think 2k is a great game don't really hoop at all or watch a lot of ball. Not a diss, just can't compare certain things and don't get why certain things should or shouldn't happen.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #18
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
Icon6 Re: Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by young22
I won upwards of 75% of my games on 2k16. Online and offline. Offline I played HOF with someone's sliders, I forget who. I could beat the CPU pretty easily, but it wasn't fun or realistic at all. 2k17 was garbage. I did pretty well on it, but it wasn't fun at all. Picked it up Black Friday, sold it 2 weeks later.

In both games, the dribble drive is awful. 2k17 in particular. You can't ever just get someone on your hip and go to the rim. Look at the NBA. ****, go play some ball. If someone of similar speed is up on you, any decent hooper can blow by them. If it's someone significantly slower (i.e guard vs big in PnR) , say goodbye. You're either fouling me, I'm getting a bucket, or I'm making a pass to someone open. Simple. In 2k, you have to spam dribble moves just to get half a step.

The game is so animation heavy it's ridiculous, I hate getting sucked into animations when I didn't do anything. Morphing is at an all-time high in those games.

I never said Live has everything right btw. I just posted today in the impressions thread some things that need to be looked at. I just said it's refreshing that the game isn't so animation heavy, that you have freedom. And The One is a hell of a lot better than MyCareer has been the last 2 years.

I feel like a lot of y'all who think 2k is a great game don't really hoop at all or watch a lot of ball. Not a diss, just can't compare certain things and don't get why certain things should or shouldn't happen.

Man this looks so good, lol stop it. Only in 2K though.

Attached Images
File Type: gif giphy.gif (4.26 MB, 286 views)

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 08-13-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2017, 11:05 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcolbert
but when i look at the actual jumpshot release it feels "right"

The release isn't necessarily the issue, it's everything leading up to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2017, 11:37 PM   #20
MVP

young22's Arena

Quote:

I never said the game was perfect bro. I said it was refreshing. It's a welcome change from 2k. Idc what you think, I think it's better than 2k17.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:27 AM   #21
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsearcher
You are already deciding you are buying this game and not 2k18? How? Why? You haven't played 2k18 one second yet. Don't understand how anyone could make that decision at this point. I'm glad live has made some strides, competition is a good thing. But 2k is still a far superior game and when it comes out people will see that again. Everyone is just starved for a basketball video game right now at this time of year & Live is the only thing available right now.
Because I said so. I've officially grown tired of 2k because of their lack of attention to the things that *i personally* find important/enjoyable in a game. It's my personal decision; it's not a declaration of one game being "better than" the other.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 04:51 AM   #22
Pro

Quote:

Did the ball ever hit the ground?
Old 08-14-2017, 04:55 AM   #23
Rookie

Great points.

I love the fact that you have a real feeling of a defender riding you and you have the ability to beat him with speed or counter with a crossover etc.

You feel the weight and when you get a shot off, if it's clean you usually get a nice, quick animation that shows the shooter aware he needs to get it up quick or if you are still well guarded, you both see and feel the contact.

I wish they kept the more natural physics and collisions from Live 15 but it still has some dynamic moments that don't feel canned.

It's these promising features that makes it hard for me to accept just how bad the jumpshots look and feel though.
Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #24
Rookie

jahswill's Arena

OVR: 7

These breakdowns really illustrate why physics engines in gaming is a must a this point. I don't think anyone here is saying Live is perfect, but the Ignite and/or Frostbite engines gives us a much truer feel of physics. When you get out of position, if it's against a skilled ball handler. You are toast. No morphing into position for a contest. Granted, Derrick Rose isn't what he used to be but he still can be explosive at times. When driving to the rim with him you can feel his strength at the basket. Kyrie just blows by people with sheer speed. I really believe if people would open up there minds a little more, they would see that true physics are where all video game innovation should be going. We have the technology. Otherwise, it's just going to be what we've had for decades. More enhanced graphics with weightless and momentum less characters that lack any real feel of explosion or strength.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »