Home

Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism.

This is a discussion on Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism. within the NBA Live forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #49
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity115
Because we're about 10 years away from when you'll never see any flaws in physics in sports gaming if you slow it down in a replay and look for any flaw.

It's more a matter of how excessive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Again you're proving my point. Crap happens in both games, but Why bring it up? We're in the Live forums so let's talk about what it does better than Live 16 not 2K17 or 18.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #50
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
c'mon man...

so basically, if it happens in Live its a legit sequence that makes perfect sense.

For real, it's impossible to take some of these compliments of Live seriously when all half the people do in the thread is bash 2k about every little thing. This game had a two year development cycle and EA is the developer. The more gushing the Live guys do about this game the more likely EA takes the Madden route and doesnt improve anything next year.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #51
MVP

scottyp180's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF
Excellent post. We all have different interpretations of how it should feel and play.

They play completely different, even though they emulate the same sport. If you try to play them the same way, it'll feel awful. It took me a few hrs to get back in the Live 18 swing because I had been playing 2k17. Once I got acclimated, I remembered why I enjoy it so much.

Great post.
It took me awhile to get acclimated. I kept reading impressions about how free the dribbling felt and that it was so much better than 2k and I just didn't see it. I thought it was Live fans and 2k detractors praising the game just because it wasn't 2k. Then last night I was playing the game and it suddenly clicked for me and I got a feel for the movement, dribbling, and momentum (which I feel are 3 core areas where the two games differentiate). I don't know if I necessarily like it more than 2k but I wouldn't say it's worse either.

I'll tell you one thing, it'll be interesting going back to 2k. It will either be a quick adjustment and it will just feel "right" to me or I'll be complaining about the feel and responsiveness just like I did when I first started Live 18.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #52
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

I have not Played NBA Live since it's PS2 days.

Been playing 2K since 2K11.

I love 2K. It is a beautiful game in motion. Presentation, franchise depth...it is a top notch NBA game.

What I love about Live this year is the controls (much simpler), the way I was able to just simply pick it up and play and pull off great moves in the post and on the outside.

What has sold me to jam with this game this year was "The One" mode. It is simply a ton of fun and IMO based on the demo a far better "My Player" mode than 2K.

If I want an authentic and deep franchise as well as a basketball simulation experience no doubt I pop in 2K17 and rock my custom MyLeague files. I love those and love that game.

But if I want a really good career player mode and a simple season mode to just have fun.....Live 18 is my game.

It's nice to have choices. I wish all sports games had a couple of choices.

When I want to have pure fun with baseball.....I play Super Mega Baseball.

Football we have no choice.

Now with Live's re-emergence I have a choice for my NBA fix. I think it is a win win for everyone.

I don't get the back and forth about which game is better. Who cares? If you like both or one or the other....great.

But this game is flat out fun, does some things IMO really really well (My Player Career mode and 1v1 basketball with great control and defense....I love the defense on Live) that will cater to some people, and some it will not.

Bottom line is though, this has been a huge surprise for me. I had no intention of getting a new basketball game ever again for the PS4 system (I have 2K16 and 17 and they are both great for me). But this demo was a revelation.

I am also really looking forward to getting with some sim minded OS'ers to form a crew to play some Drew league, Pro Am and Street ball. Live 18 has oodles of potential to be a great online B-Ball experience.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 08-14-2017, 02:53 PM   #53
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
Again you're proving my point. Crap happens in both games, but Why bring it up? We're in the Live forums so let's talk about what it does better than Live 16 not 2K17 or 18.

I don't believe I was the one who brought it up? You started dissecting why they're so similiar and what not. I think the best test of all is the hands on test..if people find it to be more free flowing, I don't think 3 video clips are going to change their mind and vise versa.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #54
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile

I knew that was gonna happen....for me it's everything that people are saying it doesn't have..IT DOES!!!

"Canimations" "player suction" "players don't slide because of proper foot planting"

When I'm seeing and feeling all of that across my screen...heck Klay just forgot he had feet in order to set up for a corner 3 against me last night
https://streamable.com/dou66 😂 (I just noticed Steph was getting his slip n slide shuffle on at the beginning of the clip as well haha)

Live is pretty good this year, but all these claims besides the 1v1 system(on point!!) I'm reading about are suspect to me because im seeing the opposite clear as day.

Sent from my Illudium Q-36 Space Modulator,

Last edited by swac07; 08-14-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #55
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzdroik4
For real, it's impossible to take some of these compliments of Live seriously when all half the people do in the thread is bash 2k about every little thing. This game had a two year development cycle and EA is the developer. The more gushing the Live guys do about this game the more likely EA takes the Madden route and doesnt improve anything next year.
They made a refreshingly good game for once, what's wrong with gushing about it?

Haven't bought a Live game since '07. Plenty of reason to be excited. Haven't actually enjoyed an NBA game since 2K11-13. And it's only the demo (granted there's a lot).

Positive reinforcement is good too ya know?..you can criticize all you want but at some point you have to tip your hat and say, "okay this is pretty good, more of this!". That way they know what they were doing right and don't flub it all up like NBA Elite or something.

Plenty for them to improve on, and they seem aware of that. I'm totally fine as is with this iteration for the next season, and will be glad for their improvements in '19, and I'm usually really picky but I truly enjoy it. The thing that's so exciting is they were able to fix the base level/foundation, which is the best imo (user control), so all the eye sores can continue to get touched up on (floaty inside shots, signature shots, dunk packages, etc)...which I'd imagine is 10X easier than the base level of the game. The ceiling is high now.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2017, 06:44 PM   #56
MVP

Why NBA Live 18 is ahead of the curve in terms of realism.

Ahead of the curve? In realism?? In what way? Visuals? Because I know we aren't talking about realistic basketball elements. I'm curious as to what we are talking about here..

I assume we are comparing to 2K. So.

Visuals? No. I played the games one after another to non-gamers and asked them which one they thought seemed more realistic. "Realistic how?" They asked. I said in whatever kind of way you would use the term. All three of them said 2K (and I gave absolutely zero input). One of them said "(2K) seems more like I'm watching it on TV. The players move around more and the people talking (lol the commentators) sound like they are talking about a real game." Those were words from as casual as a fan as it gets.

Now me, someone who actually knows basketball, I can point to more precise things. The number one thing is no motion offense. Live has set plays, but the NBA is more than just set plays. The lack of free flowing offenses kills it for me personally. Results in too much standing around which is my number one pet peeve when coaching. Also, these set plays in 2K give you multiple looks and counters out of the set. Meaning if that guy just came off a double screen but didn't get open, something else is going to happen. Or maybe as he is coming off of that screen, a ball screen is happening. The plays are more complex which reflects any Basketball above the middle school level. Taking it further? The constant making of contested shots takes away from the game defensively (and no, im not going to do a constant tweaking of sliders to try and fix it). The game just doesn't have some of the small things I get from 2K. I went back and played a game yesterday and on one possession, the AI reversed the ball from the corner to the opposite wing, that player pass faked, jab stepped, drove to the lane, drew help, made a pass out of his layup, and their big man threw down a dunk. It was glorious. Not too long after, I drove in and saw a sweet animation by Curry adjusting his shot to an incoming defender. Which was even striking awe in those non-basketball/video game people watching.

Live has some good things. I love the way the Warriors pull open 3s in transition and I get an "Oh crap" moment when they do. I LOVE that. But it doesn't take away from those other areas.

I respect the progress that it has made since its last attempt, but it still has a way to go, and to put it over 2K is absolutely blasphemous. It's different, and in an acceptable way for some. I definitely think they are targeting a more casual audience which is a great decision in my opinion. Is it a more realistic representation of basketball in the NBA? Absolutely not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by xCoachDx; 08-14-2017 at 06:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA Live »