Home

My 30 Year roster set is now available for NCAA 14

This is a discussion on My 30 Year roster set is now available for NCAA 14 within the NCAA Football Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: My 30 Year roster set is now available for NCAA 14

Yep, you are correct! I'd forgotten about that one w/ Barbers.

I just remembered it being such a big deal, so I thought that was why. After refreshing my memory, I saw that FSU was #2, and NCSU was a 25 pt underdog, and it was FSU's biggest upset at the time. Weinke fell apart.

And I think you are right on Dantzler's KO return. Wasn't that the one where he made some insane cut on the sideline, and tightroped for a bit. Any normal person would've had momentum carry them out of bounds, but he just planted, hopped and cut upfield. That may have actually been a reg season game, not sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycoa
Wasn't FSU first ACC lost against Virginia when the Barber Twins were playing. 95 or 96.

If I recall correctly, Dantzler did play with the Boys and he was a mainly a KR. Seems like he may have taken one back to the house. It may have been in a preseason game.
95 . I remember it well. If they had won that game, would have been a victory against Florida away from a repeat of 94 Championship. Went down to wire too.
Old 08-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLA7E
Yep, you are correct! I'd forgotten about that one w/ Barbers.

I just remembered it being such a big deal, so I thought that was why. After refreshing my memory, I saw that FSU was #2, and NCSU was a 25 pt underdog, and it was FSU's biggest upset at the time. Weinke fell apart.

And I think you are right on Dantzler's KO return. Wasn't that the one where he made some insane cut on the sideline, and tightroped for a bit. Any normal person would've had momentum carry them out of bounds, but he just planted, hopped and cut upfield. That may have actually been a reg season game, not sure.
Yep that's the kick return.
Another reason I like doing these rosters is because of all the memories it stirs up. It's nice to talk about stuff that seems to be shamefully forgotten.

Started my hard research on NC. Haven't got much done. Any idea on Stanicek's 40 time. Not much info on the web about him. Found a good article from '93 that talked about him being an overachiever.

Can you think of any modern player that he's like. I might have to use Playmakers DNA theory to recreate him. By that, PM found a player from today that is comparable to older player and models older player of newer player's Madden rating.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #28
Rookie

Quote:
Yep that's the kick return.
Another reason I like doing these rosters is because of all the memories it stirs up. It's nice to talk about stuff that seems to be shamefully forgotten.

Started my hard research on NC. Haven't got much done. Any idea on Stanicek's 40 time. Not much info on the web about him. Found a good article from '93 that talked about him being an overachiever.

Can you think of any modern player that he's like. I might have to use Playmakers DNA theory to recreate him. By that, PM found a player from today that is comparable to older player and models older player of newer player's Madden rating.
For play style attricutes, I guess he was similar to the older option QBs, but with more passing ability. You are right though, he was an overachiever. He played beyond his measurables, at least imo. 6'0, 190lbs. He still had above average physical ability (maybe not arm strength), but mainly used his wits, will and hustle to succeed. Very good mentally (reading D and such), great leader....stuff that we don't have rating slots for, lol!

By his Senior yr, he actually had decent speed. Nothing like today's QBs though.

He was just really balanced, and could do a bit of everything (mid level or above). Fairly elusive runner (again, no speed like Eric Crouch or any recent dual-threat players), no power run or stiff arm, maybe more vision skilled than juke skills, but he had some of those too...kinda slippery, but not a trucker. Evasive in the pocket. Took a pounding due to all the running, so he was banged up quite a bit. Very tough though.

I'd say maybe a poor man's Groethe (sp?) - QB from South Florida a while back (really at a loss for comparison). Not a big arm, but fairly accurate and enough to go deep if he has to. More of a mobile, roll-out style passer, finding the angles and stuff, rather than drop back and sling it, but still mobile within the pocket. I found it noteworthy he broke the school passing record, although he was in basically an Option Offense, and splitting time a lot...granted the numbers were low, but still.

I have the 94-95 v Duke game at home, I'll check on that and give you a better update (although I think Mike Thomas got a lot of time that game, maybe injury).

I did find this quote from FSUs DC, from the Orlando Sentinel (although I think it's stretching it slightly...but I'm not a legendary coach, so what do I know!):

Defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews, fresh from a film session evaluating North Carolina's option attack, put him on a par with Nebraska quarterback Tommy Frazier.
''He makes a lot of good decisions and very few bad plays,'' Andrews said.

So...Maybe a more accurate, tighter spiral throwing, less 'diesel', less powerful of a runner than T. Frazier. Not sure how fast Tommy was, but maybe that would be close (I'm guessing Tommy wasn't a speedster - but a great runner nonetheless, he was big and strong, I know that much!).

here's another link with some cool comments...go to the 'best heel ever' section (from Andrew Jones @ InsideCarolina 2002).

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/55838.html

He describes the 'most underrated Tar Heel ever' as,
He was a classic college quarterback, one who could do many things well, but few things great, except his leadership.

For Madden DNA...maybe a really stripped down Steve Young? Or a young mobile Rich Gannon? I know he wasn't as good as Tommy Frazier, and lord not Steve Young, but similar styles possibly.

Last edited by BLA7E; 08-27-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
MVP

Quote:
For play style attricutes, I guess he was similar to the older option QBs, but with more passing ability. You are right though, he was an overachiever. He played beyond his measurables, at least imo. 6'0, 190lbs. He still had above average physical ability (maybe not arm strength), but mainly used his wits, will and hustle to succeed. Very good mentally (reading D and such), great leader....stuff that we don't have rating slots for, lol!

By his Senior yr, he actually had decent speed. Nothing like today's QBs though.

He was just really balanced, and could do a bit of everything (mid level or above). Fairly elusive runner (again, no speed like Eric Crouch or any recent dual-threat players), no power run or stiff arm, maybe more vision skilled than juke skills, but he had some of those too...kinda slippery, but not a trucker. Evasive in the pocket. Took a pounding due to all the running, so he was banged up quite a bit. Very tough though.

I'd say maybe a poor man's Groethe (sp?) - QB from South Florida a while back (really at a loss for comparison). Not a big arm, but fairly accurate and enough to go deep if he has to. More of a mobile, roll-out style passer, finding the angles and stuff, rather than drop back and sling it, but still mobile within the pocket. I found it noteworthy he broke the school passing record, although he was in basically an Option Offense, and splitting time a lot...granted the numbers were low, but still.

I have the 94-95 v Duke game at home, I'll check on that and give you a better update (although I think Mike Thomas got a lot of time that game, maybe injury).

I did find this quote from FSUs DC, from the Orlando Sentinel (although I think it's stretching it slightly...but I'm not a legendary coach, so what do I know!):

Defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews, fresh from a film session evaluating North Carolina's option attack, put him on a par with Nebraska quarterback Tommy Frazier.
''He makes a lot of good decisions and very few bad plays,'' Andrews said.

So...Maybe a more accurate, tighter spiral throwing, less 'diesel', less powerful of a runner than T. Frazier. Not sure how fast Tommy was, but maybe that would be close (I'm guessing Tommy wasn't a speedster - but a great runner nonetheless, he was big and strong, I know that much!).

here's another link with some cool comments...go to the 'best heel ever' section (from Andrew Jones @ InsideCarolina 2002).

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/55838.html

He describes the 'most underrated Tar Heel ever' as,
He was a classic college quarterback, one who could do many things well, but few things great, except his leadership.

For Madden DNA...maybe a really stripped down Steve Young? Or a young mobile Rich Gannon? I know he wasn't as good as Tommy Frazier, and lord not Steve Young, but similar styles possibly.
thanks for the info. Tommy Frazier ran a 4.5. On my chart that's a 86 speed. I was thinkng of going 81 speed. Sort of the standard I go with when I have no evidence and its an option QB that was effective.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
thanks for the info. Tommy Frazier ran a 4.5. On my chart that's a 86 speed. I was thinkng of going 81 speed. Sort of the standard I go with when I have no evidence and its an option QB that was effective.
That sounds pretty fair. Then just give him the AGI, ACC and BCV that would make him a decent runner. For the roster, he just needs to be a happy medium between a Ronald Curry (and to a lesser extent, Durant) and a player like Keldorf or TJ Yates (more dedicated passers). Just to get some different styles out there.

For Leon, he played like a Rams era Marshall Faulk. Or maybe a slower twitch/speed PHI Lesean Mccoy. Not to those extremes, but stylewise.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #31
MVP

Quote:
That sounds pretty fair. Then just give him the AGI, ACC and BCV that would make him a decent runner. For the roster, he just needs to be a happy medium between a Ronald Curry (and to a lesser extent, Durant) and a player like Keldorf or TJ Yates (more dedicated passers). Just to get some different styles out there.

For Leon, he played like a Rams era Marshall Faulk. Or maybe a slower twitch/speed PHI Lesean Mccoy. Not to those extremes, but stylewise.
Yeah he was an all-purpose type back. A poor man's Marshall Faulk for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
He reminds me of Dameyune Craig. Wasn't a burner but effective runner. Plus his line wasn't as good as Craig's.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Rosters »