Home

50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14

This is a discussion on 50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14 within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
MVP

Chedapalooza's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: 50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14

Josh why the move away from 50/40 defense and mirroring the OC/DC/HC settings? The aggression settings dictate triggered animations. I think the variety of animations and reactions should stem from player ratings (which would mean you need to keep coaching aggression as an independent variable and keep them all the same) in my humble opinion
WCSU Football '10-'11 WR#87
UCONN HUSKIES Football
D2 Football Coach (receivers) in the PSAC
Old 08-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #10
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedapalooza
Josh why the move away from 50/40 defense and mirroring the OC/DC/HC settings? The aggression settings dictate triggered animations. I think the variety of animations and reactions should stem from player ratings (which would mean you need to keep coaching aggression as an independent variable and keep them all the same) in my humble opinion
Strictly for testing purposes. I'm going to finish a third game, then I am going to use a roster with my more typical standard setup for three games. Honestly, I am seeing things with the "default" setup that I like, but many others that I abhor. When I look at the numbers and compare to what I have been seeing on the field, I am seeing where the "default" coach aggression setup comes up short. It just has too much daggone influence on things.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #11
Rookie

jahswill's Arena

OVR: 7

The problem I seem to run into with 50ish thresh ,is making running a challenge but still have the threat of the breakaway runs punt and kickoff returns. Since the speed difference has to be compensated for by better downfield blocking in order to spring a runner.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahswill
The problem I seem to run into with 50ish thresh ,is making running a challenge but still have the threat of the breakaway runs punt and kickoff returns. Since the speed difference has to be compensated for by better downfield blocking in order to spring a runner.
We'll I have definitely been having a reasonable challenge in running the ball so far with this setup (using pro style teams at least). One thing I have not been capturing in my stats is the KR yardage - I did manage a 101 yard KO return in my first game and sprung a couple of other long ones in the second. I think they will come...

My only real concern right now is the CPU run game...but I haven't played any run heavy teams yet - which I am doing now - so we'll see....
Old 08-01-2015, 11:30 PM   #13
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Too tired for a full write-up, but I played as UVA versus Oregon.

Oregon ran all over me (61-423-2) en route to a 37-21 win. Caveat: Down 27-7 at the half (and they had about 200 on the ground then), I decided to play around with some things just to see....

Random thoughts
  • Oregon's longest run was 21 yards and there were several occasions where DAT failed to bust long ones - close, but he never quite got past the safeties or was just barely tripped from behind.
  • I think the tackle sliders both need to come down a touch - more sample size needed - but see bullet point above.
  • Two of my TDs came on long bombs when trying out 40 thresh (my 91 SPD/92 ACC WR beating the 93 SPD/94 ACC CB by a couple of steps). It was close enough that other ratings likely came into play there. When playing around on 50 thresh....the CB had the advantage....which seems about right.
  • Both teams had very aggressive defenses by coach aggression....safeties charged very hard - in Cover 2, both guys would be right on top of the ball carrier when he passed the front 7.
Going to play 3 more tomorrow with the posted set using a globally-adjusted coach aggression roster. Will explain more in the morning.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:04 AM   #14
MVP

Chedapalooza's Arena

OVR: 15

I'm
Watching auburn at ole miss replay from last year on one of the espn's .... Tackling and pursuit angles are atrocious... Pass coverage is loose. Completion % is mid 70s thru 3 3/4 quarters with both qbs around 200 yards
Point I'm getting at is these are upper echelon teams and the "skills" on the field are sloppy. Especially in terms of tackling, play recognition/pass coverage and breaking on the ball. Lots of broken tackles and good chippy blocking.

I have been playing with rush defense at 5 for both sides And tackle at 15. I think even tackle at 5-10 range will be most accurate and reflective of college football. 40 wr catch should be a lock as well.

We should realllly be focusing on getting YA catch to provide a fair chunk of the passing yards as opposed to wide open bombs which should be more rare yet not out of the ordinary
WCSU Football '10-'11 WR#87
UCONN HUSKIES Football
D2 Football Coach (receivers) in the PSAC
Old 08-02-2015, 09:01 AM   #15
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedapalooza
I'm
Watching auburn at ole miss replay from last year on one of the espn's .... Tackling and pursuit angles are atrocious... Pass coverage is loose. Completion % is mid 70s thru 3 3/4 quarters with both qbs around 200 yards
Point I'm getting at is these are upper echelon teams and the "skills" on the field are sloppy. Especially in terms of tackling, play recognition/pass coverage and breaking on the ball. Lots of broken tackles and good chippy blocking.

I have been playing with rush defense at 5 for both sides And tackle at 15. I think even tackle at 5-10 range will be most accurate and reflective of college football. 40 wr catch should be a lock as well.

We should realllly be focusing on getting YA catch to provide a fair chunk of the passing yards as opposed to wide open bombs which should be more rare yet not out of the ordinary
I 100% agree with this. That's what kills me in the forums, people cry when the CPU is missing tackles or taking bad angles, etc. They expect them to behave like perfect robots (perfect tackling, perfect angles, etc.). Now, I get it to a certain extent - it's probably "too easy". However, I think we can certainly introduce some overpursuit and sloppy tackling techniques to the game. The key with this approach would be to ensure the CPU offense is very dangerous.

Edit: I also saw your post on the OS slider thread about CPU RBK. I will make a note of that as well....although that observation may be threshold-dependent (we'll see).

Last edited by JoshC1977; 08-02-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 0

My biggest issue with pursuit/tackling for the computer is something I don't think is fixable:

If there are two or three players chasing your running back down or squaring him up they all act exactly the same; so if you juke they will all fall off balance the same way or sometimes if you put your head down they all 3 will bounce off of you. Just nothing you can do about it. IMO

I also think one of the most exciting things you can do is make a difference within your roster set so you can tell the difference in playing v. Alabama and a team like Arkansas St. Jack those pursuit ratings up and awareness so that they play faster than sub tier teams.

Last edited by GAMEBREAKER85; 08-02-2015 at 09:24 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »