Home

Since when are Georgia and Clemson rivals?

This is a discussion on Since when are Georgia and Clemson rivals? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
Rookie

4solo's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Since when are Georgia and Clemson rivals?

Its is a rivarly even when they played in 03, they was sayin ghow it should be played more. This excerpt was taking from an article about it.

We shouldn’t lightly sacrifice such a storied series as the Georgia-Clemson border war. We’ve been playing Clemson seven years longer than we’ve been playing Florida. Georgia and Clemson have met on the gridiron 60 times, exactly as many times as Alabama and Auburn will have faced one another after this year’s Iron Bowl. The Bulldogs have taken the field against over 100 opponents; Georgia has been playing Clemson longer than all but a dozen of them, and of those twelve, we continue to play just five.

.....the two teams are back on one another’s schedules for 2013 and 2014. In the absence of an intervening bowl meeting, however, the decade-long break between the 2003 and 2013 games at Memorial Stadium will be the longest-ever gap in a series that dates back to 1897.

This the actual article: http://www.dawgsports.com/2008/8/12/...-revive-the-ri

But they haven't played much in recent years. So i can see why someone would say that it not.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingmgt
Couldn't disagree more. For me personally, just because we started playing someone in the 1800's and had rivalries with them in the 40's doesn't make them a rivalry. I know college football, and I know the history between Clemson and Georgia. That being said, they're not rivals in the college football world any longer.

That's my opinion, if you're a fan and think that's a rivalry then more power to you I guess.
What i think you're missing is that if it's considered a rivalry or not by the current players is really irrelevant especially in college football. As you know CFB programs are about so much more than the current roster. There's so much history and tradition that comes from the student body, the alumni, the administration, and some cases the coaching staff that rivalries become more than just what is currently happening on the field. I don't know much about Clemson/Georgia but if people on both sides are saying it's a rivalry than I take their word for it.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 8

Maybe its like the old high school players who just finished their high school game that ended in a 7-7 tie about a couple of decades ago. LOL

Rivalries never die!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
Banned

davidmj444's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm glad everybody has my back on this! (Except stingmgt)

Last edited by davidmj444; 05-02-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
What i think you're missing is that if it's considered a rivalry or not by the current players is really irrelevant especially in college football. As you know CFB programs are about so much more than the current roster. There's so much history and tradition that comes from the student body, the alumni, the administration, and some cases the coaching staff that rivalries become more than just what is currently happening on the field. I don't know much about Clemson/Georgia but if people on both sides are saying it's a rivalry than I take their word for it.

That's fair. Most of my friends are Dawg fans and while they understand that there is history between the schools from long ago, they don't consider it a rivalry today.
It's the same with me as a Tech fan. A lot of the older fans still view Bama, Tenn, and Aub as HUGE rivals for Tech. I couldn't disagree with them more, same situation here.
I see where it comes from and I know the history, but it's 2009. We played Aub in 03 and 05 and there was a little talk about "oh what a great rivalry", it used to be a rivalry people, now it's just a good match-up.

Last edited by Sting; 05-02-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 26

But anyway.....

is there a list of the rivalries listed this year in the game?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingmgt
But anyway.....

is there a list of the rivalries listed this year in the game?
I hope we get that before the release i need to know who i should swap my CAS out with
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #16
MVP

Hunkerdown's Arena

OVR: 16

Dawgs and Clemson "use to be" a rivalry, I believe a True Rivalry is played year after year, and almost always has drama or excitement to it no matter what the records are. It use to be a true rivalry; and when we play again it will be intense, but since it is not a common occurance anymore, I believe we can call it a past rivalry. I wish we could play them every year; but the SEC change to 2 divisions put a halt to that, just not enough room to fit them in if we want to have different schools to play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »