Home

Alabama offensive and defensive scheme

This is a discussion on Alabama offensive and defensive scheme within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Alabama offensive and defensive scheme

Can someone give me a breakdown of 'Bama's offensive and defensive scheme? What formations they like, signature plays they run, what defensive formations they primarily use, coverages and blitzes they like to run?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Alabama offensive and defensive scheme

Be better than the other guys. That's their scheme.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Rookie

The pretty much still use Jim McElwain's pb. Many people may not like our offense because they think it's "NOT FLASHY" but, as you can see it's very effective. From watching them all last year. They like to mostly run from a 3 wr set. power plays, counter,dive, stretch. With A.J. they've been able to open up the offense more to create more balance. I did like that TE sneak play they used twice last year. When TE blocked the released to the flat. He was wide open every time for a 10 yard gain.

Now......Defense

Kirby Smart runs a 3-4 but they almost are never it their regular package until they play LSU. Everybody plays so much nickel. They play a ton of combo coverage, cover 3, Cover 1, and they'll blitz the heck out of ya. They pattern match a bunch too. The only defense that's willing to check to a different play after the offense checks. Attacking style defense. Check them out on youtube.

Last edited by Senio25; 06-18-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senio25
The pretty much still use Jim McElwain's pb. Many people may not like our offense because they think it's "NOT FLASHY" but, as you can see it's very effective. From watching them all last year. They like to mostly run from a 3 wr set. power plays, counter,dive, stretch. With A.J. they've been able to open up the offense more to create more balance. I did like that TE sneak play they used twice last year. When TE blocked the released to the flat. He was wide open every time for a 10 yard gain.

Now......Defense

Kirby Smart runs a 3-4 but they almost are never it their regular package until they play LSU. Everybody plays so much nickel. They play a ton of combo coverage, cover 3, Cover 1, and they'll blitz the heck out of ya. They pattern match a bunch too. They only defense that's willing to check to a different play after the offense checks. Attacking style defense. Check them out on youtube.
Lol, now that's just not true. But yea you pretty much hit the nail on the head although I do believe they use more 21 personnel than you let on. What is their personnel package for Nickel? 2-4-5, 3-3-5, 4-2?
Old 06-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Rookie

I want to say 3-3-5. But remember we have "Jack" LB's so it's kind of a mix between 3-3-5 and 4-2-5. We don't have a great DE to rush the passer since Upshaw and Dareus left. It's still stuff that's in the old 2008 defensive playbook online they use today. But also a ton of stuff from previous years they didn't use on defense.

Last edited by Senio25; 06-18-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Rookie

BigBlueInd's Arena

They're a zone team up front. Inside and out. Draws. They might have ran some power in the past but I didn't see it much this year. Passing game is a lot play action and quick game. Like to use screens to the back as well. Like it's been said, they don't do much because their talent and coaching allows them not to have to.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Rookie

catcher_0_3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueInd
They're a zone team up front. Inside and out. Draws. They might have ran some power in the past but I didn't see it much this year. Passing game is a lot play action and quick game. Like to use screens to the back as well. Like it's been said, they don't do much because their talent and coaching allows them not to have to.
I actually do remember seeing them run power quite a bit this year now that you mention it, but you summed it up nicely.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueInd
Oh yeah I forgot about the screen! Bama runs the screen very well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »