Home

A Return of EA's NCAA Football? Don't hold your breath!

This is a discussion on A Return of EA's NCAA Football? Don't hold your breath! within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-12-2017, 01:09 PM   #9
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: A Return of EA's NCAA Football? Don't hold your breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
In order for that to be successful, they would need to get all the schools and conferences on board. If you recall, the game was cancelled when schools (Ohio State being the first one to make it publicly known) were starting to pull out after the lawsuits.

EA was fine with releasing the game without an NCAA license and with a generic roster if they had been able to keep the schools and conferences.
It's definitely an ongoing process for schools and conferences to re-establish the value of and understand the current state of risk in licensing. I think we're seeing positive moves in that direction in schools willing to license in NBA 2K and Madden this year.

Other schools will see the exposure Texas and Oregon get in Madden and see that the risk level isn't what it was in the way licenses were used before.

If I'm a school athletics brand and I see that exposure, and there don't appear to be any legal issues, then I want in on it.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

The only risk ever was player likeness. They avoid that and there is no problem. Ohio State has the right to sell Ohio State. And so on for other teams.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
The only risk ever was player likeness. They avoid that and there is no problem. Ohio State has the right to sell Ohio State. And so on for other teams.
That was my point. EA cancelled the game because Ohio State and others were no longer willing to sell their license, not because they were suddenly forced to release with generic rosters.

Once the NCAA said they were no longer licensing to EA because of the whole player likeness issues, EA came out and stated they would re-brand the game as "College Football 15" and still have all the schools and conferences. Shortly after that, schools and conferences started pulling out and it was then that EA chose to outright cancel the game.

http://kotaku.com/no-college-footbal...ort-1404530680

Last edited by mercalnd; 07-12-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Rookie

mroctober316's Arena

OVR: 0

College football is so popular, and it just boggles me that we don't have a game in 2017!

But yet doesn't surprise me with how money hungry these conferences and NCAA are. I mean they sold out hard and it's all about money and sponsorship.

EA Sports College Football '17
Old 07-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercalnd
That was my point. EA cancelled the game because Ohio State and others were no longer willing to sell their license, not because they were suddenly forced to release with generic rosters.

Once the NCAA said they were no longer licensing to EA because of the whole player likeness issues, EA came out and stated they would re-brand the game as "College Football 15" and still have all the schools and conferences. Shortly after that, schools and conferences started pulling out and it was then that EA chose to outright cancel the game.

http://kotaku.com/no-college-footbal...ort-1404530680
Different time and atmosphere though. That was reactionary to the lawsuit and multiple pending issues about player likeness. Time has passed now and I'm sure things have a bit of a different look when it comes to building a game with the schools but not the actual player likenesses.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 07-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #14
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Different time and atmosphere though. That was reactionary to the lawsuit and multiple pending issues about player likeness. Time has passed now and I'm sure things have a bit of a different look when it comes to building a game with the schools but not the actual player likenesses.
That's kind of what I was getting at. Ohio St. and Conferences pulling out was reactive at the time and now Oregon and Texas (and schools in 2k) are licensing out again without issue. I'm sure at the time EA tried to communicate that they are amending any issues with player likeness.

The only thing I wonder is if from a legal perspective the argument can be made that player editing and roster sharing is some sort of intent to circumvent the player likeness rulings (whatever they actually are).

Man, that argument, if it was accepted by a court, would be a can of worms opened all right.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
That's kind of what I was getting at. Ohio St. and Conferences pulling out was reactive at the time and now Oregon and Texas (and schools in 2k) are licensing out again without issue. I'm sure at the time EA tried to communicate that they are amending any issues with player likeness.

The only thing I wonder is if from a legal perspective the argument can be made that player editing and roster sharing is some sort of intent to circumvent the player likeness rulings (whatever they actually are).

Man, that argument, if it was accepted by a court, would be a can of worms opened all right.
One could make that argument but the courts have consistently ruled on like matters that what consumers do with editors is not the responsibility of the editor creator.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #16
MVP

Murph's Arena

OVR: 12

I was a big dynasty guy, so after season #1, I was recruiting fictional players and had no problem with that. The game must have real schools and conferences though.

Having the playoffs would make it even more enjoyable for me now.
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Murph1

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »