Home

Bill Abner's first Head Coach Impressions

This is a discussion on Bill Abner's first Head Coach Impressions within the NFL Head Coach forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #81
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Bill Abner's first Head Coach Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Looman
Each team uses it's team roadmap when making draft pick decisions, along with individual scouting information (each team makes scouting decision just like the user's team will) and their philosophies. Just like each team has system philosophies, they also have philosophies for drafting best available/draft for need and they have philosophies for trading up or down in the draft.

The roadmap plays the biggest part. Teams can draft multiple players at a position ONLY if they are updating multiple needs ie...starting QB and backup QB later on.

The other thing to remember is that our 2008 draft is after free agency, so some teams may have filled a need at the position they drafted for in real life. In other words, in our game the Eagles may not have signed Asante Samuel. That can change the outcome of the draft.

The main reason Jonathan Stewart falls out of the first round (and I hope this isn't too big of a spoiler...) is his injury issues. His durability grade is low because of the toe injury right off the bat.

That's something you'll need to pay attention to in future classes. Listen carefully when Adam Schefter or Todd McShay gives you an update on the draft. If they have reservations about a rookie (or talk about a devastating injury he suffers during their college updates) because of injuries, that could really factor in when he's drafted.

And is everyone else as fired up as I am that I can hear football on TV behind me as I type this?

Woo-hoo!
So if we redo the draft, the 'real' free agent signings have not happened yet?

And, yes, I'm really fired up for the HOF game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2008, 08:45 PM   #82
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

The Bears Draft:

R1 Albert OG
R2 Forte HB
R3 Greco RT
R3 Morgan SS
R4 Guion DT
R5 Franklin WR
R6 Morgan WR
R7 Harper WR

Editor in Chief Gameshark.Com
http://www.gameshark.com
Old 08-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #83
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunter5
So if we redo the draft, the 'real' free agent signings have not happened yet?.
Correct. The Browns signed Ty Law and Issac Bruce...

Old 08-03-2008, 08:47 PM   #84
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Abner
The Bears Draft:

R1 Albert OG
R2 Forte HB
R3 Greco RT
R3 Morgan SS
R4 Guion DT
R5 Franklin WR
R6 Morgan WR
R7 Harper WR
I guess they were unthrilled by their WR depth, eh? Also, good catch on the Stewart demographics. That is quite a concern. It explains why Stewart is overrated, though...
Old 08-03-2008, 08:48 PM   #85
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

Quote:
Correct. The Browns signed Ty Law and Issac Bruce...
Very cool. Thanks, Bill.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #86
Buddha

ahunter5's Arena

Quote:
The Bears Draft:

R1 Albert OG
R2 Forte HB
R3 Greco RT
R3 Morgan SS
R4 Guion DT
R5 Franklin WR
R6 Morgan WR
R7 Harper WR
How would you rate the overall free agency and draft experience?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #87
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I had a "Defining Moment" where the game says, "It's 3rd down you have the opposing team backed up inside its own 10. What do you do?"

It then asks if I wanted to blitz or drop back in coverage. Being me -- I sent the house. Well, the Jets gained 21 yards. Doh. Because of that nearly every player's attitude rating toward me dropped by 10 points. That seemed a bit harsh. It was a first down in a preseason game. It wasn't like I called a surprise onside or something. Maybe Josh can explain how that works and what that really means.
It seems most real NFL players would appreciate a call like that. John Madden himself has said most defensive players are aggressive psychos that are waiting for the chance to rip the QB's head off. I think you'd get more flack from players by calling a conservative "prevent defense" style play. I'm not knocking the game as I don't know how that works and all of the factors involved - just my 2 cents. Also, how many yards did they need to get the first down on that call?

Kudos Josh on the great responses regarding the draft issues - your response makes total sense and I'm really fired up over this game.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:01 PM   #88
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahunter5
How would you rate the overall free agency and draft experience?
I'm about to blog (in a minute or two, it's typed up) about the draft.

It's deep -- well, it's as deep as you want to make it. Draftniks will get a huge kick out of draft day. I can't wait to start my 'real' career when the roster patch is ready.

Free Agency is good -- it's unlike most games where you can just offer who you want when you want. They come in waves so day one you may bid on Player A and then later that day Player B. At least that's how my first run went, Josh can confirm that but I didn't see a way to bid on who I wanted right from the start. Which is fine, it's just different.

The FA bidding war is sorta like sitting on an eBay auction. When I signed Bruce for example. I was involved with 4 teams. I sat there watching the bids go up until the auction said "Going once!" and then I clicked to bid, and won Bruce. If you bid early, you might get outbid but it seems as if you wait until the time is almost up, you can get who you want as long as you are willing to pay, which is of course the real bugaboo.

I got all of my FAs that way. You BETTER know who you want to target in FA and wait until they come up because if you're like me (i.e. stupid) you'll bid on a player early and then realize you don't have any MONEY LEFT when the guy you really wamnted starts his bidding process.

The screen that shows you how your starters stack up to the current UFAs is a GREAT idea. You guys will love that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > NFL Head Coach »