Home

***The Official OOTP Thread***

This is a discussion on ***The Official OOTP Thread*** within the OOTP Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2017, 10:00 PM   #705
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: ***The Official OOTP Thread***

And, also, you can go back and pick any year you want and start from. That is one of my favorite things about the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 AM   #706
Banned

BucksInSix's Arena

Well it fully downloaded at 1030 cst and I started playing around 1045. Next think I knew it was past midnight! This game is gonna be dangerous...

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #707
Rookie

Schreck's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksInSix
Well it fully downloaded at 1030 cst and I started playing around 1045. Next think I knew it was past midnight! This game is gonna be dangerous...

It is dangerous. If you are a baseball person, or even just a strategy game fan, it is really easy to get sucked in. I just got it for the first time at the start of the year, and am in my 7th season building a Yankee monster.

I lucked out a few seasons ago when Kershaw came on the market, but was coming off a 12 month labrum tear. His ratings were still up, so I took the chance and signed him for a below market $19-21 million a year over like 5 years I think. As soon as he got back, he was vintage Kershaw and led me to a few titles, won a few Cy's (even an MVP) that I never would have gotten without him.

Now I'm in the offseason going into his age 36 season, with him under contract for 2 more years now at $24 and $26 million. His last season was his best yet, he won the Triple Crown with lowest ERA, most wins, most K's. Was 2nd in MVP vote and won all his playoff games, then came into game 7 of the World Series on short rest and got me 4 innings of relief to keep me in the game after a horrible start from my #2, which allowed us to come back and make up a 4 run deficit to tie in the 9th, then win with a walkoff in the 10th after a single (subbed in my speed utility infielder), hit and run that got my guy to 3rd, and a sac fly to win.

All that to say, it was amazing, and now I love Kershaw. Problem is he is old, expensive, and now his injury status is showing as 'fragile', so he is much more likely to get injured going forward. I had to look into trades, and the Rangers have a ton of salary space, and are willing to trade 5 good pitching prospects for him straight up. Do I roll the dice and hope Kershaw stays healthy and doesn't suddenly drop off a cliff? Or do I roll the dice and hope at least one of the stud prospects pans out to be an above average pitcher, along with another few that should get to be 3's or 4's for me? Plus how much do I factor loyalty to the guy that is team captain and made us champs?

I've literally had that trade window open for 5 days wavering on taking it or not, and thinking about it throughout my day. Damn game is dangerous man.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #708
Banned

BucksInSix's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schreck
It is dangerous. If you are a baseball person, or even just a strategy game fan, it is really easy to get sucked in. I just got it for the first time at the start of the year, and am in my 7th season building a Yankee monster.

I lucked out a few seasons ago when Kershaw came on the market, but was coming off a 12 month labrum tear. His ratings were still up, so I took the chance and signed him for a below market $19-21 million a year over like 5 years I think. As soon as he got back, he was vintage Kershaw and led me to a few titles, won a few Cy's (even an MVP) that I never would have gotten without him.

Now I'm in the offseason going into his age 36 season, with him under contract for 2 more years now at $24 and $26 million. His last season was his best yet, he won the Triple Crown with lowest ERA, most wins, most K's. Was 2nd in MVP vote and won all his playoff games, then came into game 7 of the World Series on short rest and got me 4 innings of relief to keep me in the game after a horrible start from my #2, which allowed us to come back and make up a 4 run deficit to tie in the 9th, then win with a walkoff in the 10th after a single (subbed in my speed utility infielder), hit and run that got my guy to 3rd, and a sac fly to win.

All that to say, it was amazing, and now I love Kershaw. Problem is he is old, expensive, and now his injury status is showing as 'fragile', so he is much more likely to get injured going forward. I had to look into trades, and the Rangers have a ton of salary space, and are willing to trade 5 good pitching prospects for him straight up. Do I roll the dice and hope Kershaw stays healthy and doesn't suddenly drop off a cliff? Or do I roll the dice and hope at least one of the stud prospects pans out to be an above average pitcher, along with another few that should get to be 3's or 4's for me? Plus how much do I factor loyalty to the guy that is team captain and made us champs?

I've literally had that trade window open for 5 days wavering on taking it or not, and thinking about it throughout my day. Damn game is dangerous man.

Love this! Do other CPU GMs run their team logically? Understanding market size, and budget?

Also, do teams wait to call up prospects, and are cognizant of service time, and gaining maximum years of control?

Old 06-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #709
Rookie

Schreck's Arena

Quote:
Love this! Do other CPU GMs run their team logically? Understanding market size, and budget?

Also, do teams wait to call up prospects, and are cognizant of service time, and gaining maximum years of control?

So far it sure seems like they handle those items pretty well. My favorite part is that it can be pretty random though, and each team/GM really does have it's own personality. Some clearly value those things way more than others.

Like in the trade scenario I mentioned (still can't make up my mind ), I couldn't get any good offers from any other team, even though I tried like crazy. But Texas had that big salary space, and is in "Win Now" mode, so they didn't even flinch as I kept adding prospects.

So it's cool that each team is really different, some wheel and deal like crazy with small and big trades happening every week, others never do anything. Some prioritize prospects, some vets, some hitting and some defense or pitching. Makes you try a lot of things out, and it really makes you think through what you value too.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #710
Banned

BucksInSix's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schreck
So far it sure seems like they handle those items pretty well. My favorite part is that it can be pretty random though, and each team/GM really does have it's own personality. Some clearly value those things way more than others.

Like in the trade scenario I mentioned (still can't make up my mind ), I couldn't get any good offers from any other team, even though I tried like crazy. But Texas had that big salary space, and is in "Win Now" mode, so they didn't even flinch as I kept adding prospects.

So it's cool that each team is really different, some wheel and deal like crazy with small and big trades happening every week, others never do anything. Some prioritize prospects, some vets, some hitting and some defense or pitching. Makes you try a lot of things out, and it really makes you think through what you value too.

FWIW I would trade Kersh in that scenario. Better to be a year early, than a year late.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #711
Rookie

Schreck's Arena

Quote:
FWIW I would trade Kersh in that scenario. Better to be a year early, than a year late.

Well, I did go ahead and make the trade, just got into the season, and on opening day, Kershaw got injured after 1 inning, and is out 4 weeks. So, may not regret this one at all .
Attached Images
File Type: png Kershaw Injury.PNG (55.9 KB, 134 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2017, 02:26 AM   #712
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58

Hey guys, just picked up OOTP a few days ago and I'm hooked. My first visit in OOTP, I'm a big Football Manager gamer but haven't followed baseball closely in a while. Anyway, decided to give it a go and I am pretty damn hooked.

I do have one question, when I go to upcoming FA I don't see all the players listed. However, when I click on a prospect player, it says his contract expires after the 2017 season even though he is not on the list. However, his minor league contract is for another 3 years. I guess my question is if someone can explain to me how this works?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball »