Home

Never played this series, is it worth it?

This is a discussion on Never played this series, is it worth it? within the OOTP Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2016, 12:33 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: Never played this series, is it worth it?

I too love it I just wish my pc could simulate quicker.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #10
Rookie

Frostball's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjim
Looks interesting. Is it really that good?

Have been playing this series since it came out, Has gotten better and better through the years. I love it.

I will have this fired up playing it while playing MLB the show at the same time
Old 04-25-2016, 10:07 AM   #11
Sexiest Woman Alive!

Peji911's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveranger13
Absolutely no other sim like it anywhere in any sport. All strive to be even in the same sentence with OOTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to go ahead and say that you have never played Football Manager.

Everything that OOTP has done, has mimicked previous years of FM, including the 3d engine (which lacks hard in contrast to FM)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2016, 12:23 PM   #12
Rookie

shadow2201's Arena

OVR: 9

Right now, I'm playing OOTP 11, I bought it a few years ago, and never got into it. I really want to get into it, as it sounds like OOTP 17 is amazing, and I really wanna give it a go. Might just shell out the $40 to get it and hope I like it.
Old 07-25-2016, 02:21 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 9

I have thousands of hours into football manager. Literally thousands.

Picked up OOTPB last week for the first time and while the similarities are obvious, there are things that OOTPB seems to do better:

OOTPB vs FM, pros and cons:
- OOTPB seems to have a higher-fidelity simulation engine. Baseball is probably easier to simulate than soccer as things are much more 1v1. Pitcher vs batter, outfielder vs fly ball, etc. With so many historical data points for these situations, you would expect a baseball simulation to be more accurate. I have to say that I am still highly pleased with the simulation engine in OOTPB.

- OOTPB needs work on the interface. There are places where OOTPB really shines in presenting you with exactly the information you need (particularly when trying to put together trades, IMO), but there are also times where I've spent 5 minutes looking for a screen that has what I want (I just want to see all of my minor league system on one screen, dang it!). It can be very frustrating at times. FM in general has an interface that flows better for me. It could be that I've got thousands of hours into it.

- the OOTPB world feels more 'alive'. It could be that the game is still new to me, but I feel the inbox updates are of the right frequency and depth without changing any options. In FM one must tinker for hours to get useful and interesting inbox information that's not horribly repetitive.

- the 3d engine in OOTPB needs a lot of work. Like, a lot. Of course, it is still very new, so it's not fair to compare this to the ~5 year old FM 3d engine. I still find it more enjoyable to watch things in 3d as it allows me to take more time to analyze each situation. the 2d sim just goes by way too fast for me.

-OOTPB does a very good job of giving life to the offseason and other yearly milestones, as well as events like the draft and arbitration season, whereas FM just kind of moves along with the same basic screen dominating your UI for the whole year.

- I love the scouting system in OOTPB. I feel like the scout's comments are way more useful than in FM. One can really get a good feel for a player by simply reading the scout's summary, whereas in FM one must really dig into a lot of attributes to see if a player fits a particular style.

All in all if you enjoy sports simulation games, this one will easily take over your life just as much as FM does. I expect to pour hundreds of hours into OOTPB over the coming months. I just bought a new graphics card and here I am playing a game that doesn't really care

Last edited by doctorhay53; 07-25-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 4

I plan on getting this soon. I just hop my old PC can handle it

Amd Athlon 64
Windows Xp
2.5 gb ram
500gb hd
Ati x700 vid card

A dinosaur of a machine. Spend more time on iPad

Thanks for any input
Old 08-11-2016, 09:18 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 1

OOTP has a little something for everyone. I play the historical leagues for the most part, and they're amazing. The detail is phenomenal. It's not a graphic-heavy game, though 3D play has been created and made strides in the last few years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
--------------

dieselboy's Arena

OVR: 21

10 years ago I was a hardcore gamer. Multiple console and PC.

Then I started playing OOTP.

Now all I play is OOTP.

My name is dieselboy, and I have an OOTP addiction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > OOTP Baseball »