Home

Which Sports Game Has the Most to Prove in the Next Year?

This is a discussion on Which Sports Game Has the Most to Prove in the Next Year? within the Operation Sports Content and Other News forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Which Sports Game Has the Most to Prove in the Next Year?

I'd say NBA Live, but since they haven't really existed for 5 years I can't really say they have anything to prove. They just have to have a working title at this point.

So, I've got to say MLB The Show.

The game has felt identical every year since they moved to PS4.

I buy it every year, for some reason, but the improvements are negligible. I'll definitely pass next year unless they fix some legacy issues and change other things.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1
if they finally add a legit baseball sim with MLB licensing on XB1, it'll be a game changer. The Show is the only reason i'm considering purchasing a PS4 in addition to the XB1 I already have.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #11
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34
I would go with The Show too. The team stripped out a lot of depth after MLB 12.

I get that there was a push to start fresh and fix things, but in the interim, a lot of the other sports franchises surpassed The Show's feature depth (ironically buy putting in features The Show lost like Owner-mode centric items, e.g., stadium upkeep, travel expenses, etc.) and ability to put the player in the shoes of a more-fluid, realistic gaming world (e.g., NBA 2K owner meetings during the season, NHL showing what is for sale in the team shop or a player bobble head camera cut on bobble head night, *etc.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2017, 08:10 PM   #12
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

Lowes comments are interesting on Madden/Show.

We either buy Madden or don't if we want an NFL game. True, but I think Madden can take the blow of X amount of buyers not buying year to year.

The Show cannot. Being exclusive to PS4 there sales are not as much as the other big games, and I still feel it has a ways to go.

It's my favorite game. I've probably played over 500 online franchise games this year, but they have been focusing to long on online play and diamond dynasty. Franchise mode needs an overhaul, and has only gotten minimal improvements the last few years.

Also, figure out online franchise. Me and by 3 buddies are in season 10 playing about 40 games a year. We love the game, but Online Franchise has not been touched since it's debut in 14, and is largely broken. It needs extreme patience and many workarounds for the franchise to sustain. And many things don't work, Injuries, Stamina for position players, contracts are wack, budget problems, I could go on forever. SDS is great with the community pre-release but the last 2 years during streams we have gotten one sentence in regards to online franchise. And it's a complete BS response.

I think the show had a good leap in gameplay. Hit variety is amazing. But between the extremely bad server issues that plagued the game, and the patches that continue to fruturate users, the Show has alot to prove.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:07 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 33
It shocks me that NBA 2K & MLB The Show are in this conversation. These games are vastly superior to NHL & Madden NFL. Criticise the lack of progression of these 2 games over the last couple of years as much as you like. The fact that the NFL/NHL games haven't come anywhere close in this time underlines the greatness of these games. Any game at any time in the history of video games can be subject to negative criticism. But to call out weaknesses in the 2 franchises that set the standard.....that seems crazy to me.*
The reality is that we are so used to the below par offerings of NHL & Madden that we subconsciously make allowances for the standards of they 2 *franchise games.

I constantly read write ups of people praising the likes of 2K's College football games or EA's MVP Baseball series. Yes they were great titles at the time. But they're nowhere near the standard we now, all too complacently enjoy.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:15 PM   #14
Pro

Retropyro's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
It shocks me that NBA 2K & MLB The Show are in this conversation. These games are vastly superior to NHL & Madden NFL. Criticise the lack of progression of these 2 games over the last couple of years as much as you like. The fact that the NFL/NHL games haven't come anywhere close in this time underlines the greatness of these games. Any game at any time in the history of video games can be subject to negative criticism. But to call out weaknesses in the 2 franchises that set the standard.....that seems crazy to me.*
The reality is that we are so used to the below par offerings of NHL & Madden that we subconsciously make allowances for the standards of they 2 *franchise games.

I constantly read write ups of people praising the likes of 2K's College football games or EA's MVP Baseball series. Yes they were great titles at the time. But they're nowhere near the standard we now, all too complacently enjoy.

To me, NBA 2K17 is a mess. Yes it has plenty of content, and if the game worked properly it would be great. But when I have to spend a minimum of 20 minutes just to load into the game then the game is on the verge of being broken.

I don't care how "deep" a game is if it's not playable. Madden or NHL? They maybe are shallow, but I can play them. I also feel playing them I have far more control over players compared to the canned animations of NBA 2K.

Don't even get me started on the online servers for NBA.

What I find crazy, are people who blindly defend NBA 2K and seemingly give them a pass for every failing.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:11 AM   #15
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Definitely Mlb the Show, this year was such a drop in quality unlike any past year I can remember. And definitely the most overall negative reaction they've received in recent years.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > The News Desk > Operation Sports Content and Other News »