Home

2k baseball refugee

This is a discussion on 2k baseball refugee within the Other Baseball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #41
Banned

dingleberryfinn's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: 2k baseball refugee

To quote Tom Petty
"...believe what you want to believe,
You don't have to live like a refugee"

The Show is the promised land.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #42
Rookie

Pasco08's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
I have learned you wait 2-3 dev cycles for next gen games.

I did not get a PS3 till August of 2009 and was very happy I waited. It costed me 299 and the games were much better developed by then.

Right now between The Show 12, NHL 13, NCAA 13 and NBA 2K11 your sports games are as good as they can get with minor tune ups for future versions.

If your a baseball junkie MLB The Show 12 is a must with all the historical rosters available.

Jump on it. And wait till PS4 is cheaper and games are better once they get comfortable with the new cpu power. Just my experience.
I waited till last December to get my PS3 and spent about 500 between the system and the games and controllers. Gotta say i am extreamly happy.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #43
MVP

CubFan23's Arena

OVR: 23

I used to be a die hard 360 player till I couldn't put up with 2k's lackluster baseball series anymore. I bought my PS3 back in 2009 just so I could play The Show and now my 360 is my 9 year old sons, I hardly touch it any longer.

“I knew when my career was over. In 1965 my baseball card came out with no picture".
- Bob Uecker
Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubFan23
I used to be a die hard 360 player till I couldn't put up with 2k's lackluster baseball series anymore. I bought my PS3 back in 2009 just so I could play The Show and now my 360 is my 9 year old sons, I hardly touch it any longer.
I traded my PS3 for a 360 back in November. I never touch the thing. My wife and kids play Just Dance on it though.

I just sold a ton of home brewing equipment for a couple hundred bucks though and I am wondering at what point I can make purchase another PS3.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:30 PM   #45
Banned

CubsHOF's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann6
Now that I don't have a baseball game to play (and also cause my blu ray player stinks and won't play all of my movies) I am considering getting a ps3. However, I am unsure of whether or not to buy one with talk of new consoles on the way. I have tried to find information as to when a potential ps4 might be released and what I found is very confusing. I believe this game is enough to buy a system (especially now that i found out about classic rosters) but not a system which could be obsolete in a year. I guess I'm curious to know what you guys think.
The best rumors we have is that the PS4 will not be out until summer of 2014, so 18 months still at best. You can find a used 40gb PS3 on eBay for $130-$140 so if you think about it that would be less than $8 a month until the PS4 comes out, not bad for a good Blu-Ray player and if you are a big baseball fan and want to spend some real time playing a baseball game The Show is where it is at and you'll want to pick this up, the first time you play The Show is always the best because you've never seen any of the thousands of small things they put in the game to bring it to life. You would probably pay that much for a good Blu Ray player. Hope this helps!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #46
Banned

CubsHOF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
This decision was made to reduce the cost of the PS3. The system architecture between the two generations was different enough that it required additional chips which necessarily required additional cost. The thinking was that between the installed PS2s out there and the savings that the consumer would have without the backwards compatibility that most people would just rather keep their old PS2.

And if you're thinking, why don't they just make one that is still backward compatible and give the consumer the choice?...I'd spend the extra money on it. Well...it costs a lot of money to gear up manufacturing to build out two separate consoles in that manner, and based on the cost and market feed back, it just didn't make business sense.
Didn't make business sense? While it would have cost them millions to subsidize the cost, the lack of PS2 backward compatibility with upscale conversion only cost Sony their massive lion's share of the video game market and dropped their brand loyalty from all time highs to all time lows, not something that can be regained. Today, Sony is a mere shadow of what they were in the PS1/PS2 era.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #47
Banned

CubsHOF's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemann6
I won't be trading in my 360 for a couple of reasons. 1) My wife bought it for me the first Christmas that we were married. 2) I actually am a big fan of the exclusive games for Xbox (So much so that it has been my primary console). 3) I have a ton of games for 360 that I have not finished yet.

I have never bought a PS3 because I couldn't justify paying 300 bucks for one game and because I dont game enough to have had 600 dollars worth of gaming electronics in my living room. I got my 360 in 2009 and once 2K10 came out I was able to tolerate the situation. Well now that I can get a PS3 cheap and that my current blu ray player wont play some of my movies. I have enough reason to get one and be able to play the show again.
Well, if you like the exclusive Xbox games then you really need to try any game put out by SECA PS3 exclusive games. Out of anything available on console they are the most advanced games on the market and that includes The Show.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #48
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsHOF
Didn't make business sense? While it would have cost them millions to subsidize the cost, the lack of PS2 backward compatibility with upscale conversion only cost Sony their massive lion's share of the video game market and dropped their brand loyalty from all time highs to all time lows, not something that can be regained. Today, Sony is a mere shadow of what they were in the PS1/PS2 era.

A lot of millions! :-)

And I doubt in this changing economy, emerging technologies, and new competitors that you can pin changes in market share simply on a lack of backwards compatibility. I mean how much backward compatibility do any of the consoles of this generation really have?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games »